Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

SERIOUS trouble in girly paradise

+6
Nath J
Etcetera
Netty
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
xweeqtx
Lexi69
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SERIOUS trouble in girly paradise - Page 2 Empty Re: SERIOUS trouble in girly paradise

Post by Lexi69 Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 0:49

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That would be my cat fish!!! is that not good??? sunny
Lexi69
Lexi69
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

SERIOUS trouble in girly paradise - Page 2 Empty Re: SERIOUS trouble in girly paradise

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 0:54

Hmmm... varied reports, so i wouldn't rule it out? Its just when you said the lights were out Catfish are nocturnal feeders so i put 2 & 2 together and came up with a hunch.

I know female bettas can be aggressive, but i really wouldn't have thought that much devastation could have been caused in such little time.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 0:56

My only doubt about the catfish is would it not have eaten them??
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 0:56

The reports on that page are half and half I personally would remove him for now and see what happens. Guilty until proven innocent IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi69 Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 1:01

Vandraco aka Bronzecat wrote:My only doubt about the catfish is would it not have eaten them??

I would of thought that to. Now some chunks had been taken out the dead girls and when I got home the live girls had HUGE bellies like I had just fed while the catfish was looking all pale like he does when its coming up to tea time. I just dont get how he could of changed so much in a few hours!! Sad sunny
Lexi69
Lexi69
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 1:04

He would be my immediate choice of what happened, closely followed by another female or rougue male.

Catfish take a time to mature, but once they do their personalities can change rapidly.....ask Melly about that:(
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 1:06

Lexi69 wrote:
Vandraco aka Bronzecat wrote:My only doubt about the catfish is would it not have eaten them??

I would of thought that to. Now some chunks had been taken out the dead girls and when I got home the live girls had HUGE bellies like I had just fed while the catfish was looking all pale like he does when its coming up to tea time. I just dont get how he could of changed so much in a few hours!! Sad sunny

Obviously a completely different fish but I was finding dead corys guppys etc with chunks missing out of them with the CAE. I had him 2 years and 1 day he just changed Sad
It;s horrible when something like this happens and you have no idea whats going on. I really feel for you Lexi :hug:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi69 Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 1:16

Well I have put up a temporary divider to keep him away from the girls as its to late to start getting tanks set up! I'll see what happens during the night!! I hope it isn't him and it was just a scrap amongst the girls that has settled because I have no idea what to do if it is him and I really dont want to rehome him as I'm very attached had him for the longest!! Sad sunny
Lexi69
Lexi69
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 1:21

Yeh i know what you mean. Its difficult to decide what to do sometimes.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 1:25

Sad It's horrible Lexi and I really feel for you. Trev was gutted when I told him we had to give up the CAE as we had watch it grow from a baby. Hopefully it wasn't him.

:hug:

Back to top Go down

Post by Etcetera Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 3:02

I dunno, personally, I'm pretty convinced it was the girls.. bettas can feel particularly uneasy in the dark, and the stress can be a source of aggression. I've had tail biters that would bite themselves at night, and after introducing a night light, improved dramatically. Somehow it's hard for me to imagine that catfish chasing down the nimble, smaller bettas and battering them to death. We don't have that kind of fish available in any fish store I've ever seen locally (I'm jealous, what a unique looking fish), so I'm not completely sure, but honestly, can the thing really swim that fast? Enough to get multiple girls? Honestly, I think it was probably a domino effect, once one girl was injured by another, then the others probably ganged up on her, and during that, further squabbling ensued and more fish were caught up in it.

Etcetera
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath J Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 8:10

Does that catfish swim upside down?
Nath J
Nath J
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi69 Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 22:40

Etcetera wrote:I dunno, personally, I'm pretty convinced it was the girls.. bettas can feel particularly uneasy in the dark, and the stress can be a source of aggression. I've had tail biters that would bite themselves at night, and after introducing a night light, improved dramatically. Somehow it's hard for me to imagine that catfish chasing down the nimble, smaller bettas and battering them to death. We don't have that kind of fish available in any fish store I've ever seen locally (I'm jealous, what a unique looking fish), so I'm not completely sure, but honestly, can the thing really swim that fast? Enough to get multiple girls? Honestly, I think it was probably a domino effect, once one girl was injured by another, then the others probably ganged up on her, and during that, further squabbling ensued and more fish were caught up in it.

I'll ship him to you if you want!! :lol!:

Well I put my divider up and went to bed last night leaving Steve downstairs. he turned the tank lights out before he came to bed and took out the divider banghead banghead banghead he told me this morningthat he had done it and because he thought I had left it by mistake! ARGH!! he never gets involved with my tank why last night!!

So charged down the stairs this morning and had 1 lonely girl left who was struggling to swim with chunks out of her. I took her out and desperately tried to save her but within an hour she was gone (there wan't much hope to be honest) So I know have no girls. I cant believe for a minute 10 girls would fight to the death in 2 days killing them all!

Question is how do I handle this I now have a suspected serial killer in my tank who is on his own and I have no idea what to do? do I take him to the LFS and see if they will take him do I offer him on here if anyone has a tank suitable or do I just leave him on his own in a HUGE tank??? banghead banghead tantrum tantrum tantrum tantrum I'm not happy!!!
Lexi69
Lexi69
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 22:51

Oh flippin ell Evil or Very Mad I know females can be bad, but i cannot for one minute believe that 10 females would destroy each other in such a short period of time. Thats why my money was on the catfish last night.

I suppose you have to decide if you want to keep the cat more than females in there?? If you keep the cat, then any tankmates will have to be carefully chosen though. An lfs may take it though?
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xweeqtx Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 22:53

Ohh Lexi, I'm so sorry you've lost all you're girls Sad I have to agree with Van, though. I don't think all of them would kill each other like that.

xweeqtx
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by crystal Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 22:54

Sorry lexi, i can't believe you lost all of your girls!!! :hug: I'd take the cat to the lfs if it was me
crystal
crystal
Feathertail
Feathertail

http://www.mfccustoms.synthasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi69 Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 23:00

Vandraco aka Bronzecat wrote:Oh flippin ell Evil or Very Mad I know females can be bad, but i cannot for one minute believe that 10 females would destroy each other in such a short period of time. Thats why my money was on the catfish last night.

I suppose you have to decide if you want to keep the cat more than females in there?? If you keep the cat, then any tankmates will have to be carefully chosen though. An lfs may take it though?

Thats what I was thinking there is no chance they would go that mad!!! So I now have that big decision to make does he stay or does he go?? what on earth can I put with him if he stays?? banghead banghead banghead banghead cannot believe it so so annoyed!! may be taking a trip to LFS and getting rid of the murderer!! but I feel so mean will they just destroy him??
Lexi69
Lexi69
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 23:03

Some lfs have like dedicated display type tanks :D Or advertise him:)
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 23:07

Sad So sorry Lexi this was my biggest fear

When I got rid of mine the lfs refused to take him at first but after telling them what had happened etc they did take him and put him in this huge display tank thing they have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi69 Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 23:17

Vandraco aka Bronzecat wrote:Some lfs have like dedicated display type tanks :D Or advertise him:)

I can see the advert now!!

Serial Killer Catfish for sale FREE to good home!! I'll even pay your postage!!!

I will ring my LFS on sat and see what they say!! my tank seems so quiet without my girls!!
Lexi69
Lexi69
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by liamg1285 Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 23:17

sorry to here bout ur girls
liamg1285
liamg1285
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 23:21

Lexi69 wrote:
Vandraco aka Bronzecat wrote:Some lfs have like dedicated display type tanks :D Or advertise him:)

I can see the advert now!!

Serial Killer Catfish for sale FREE to good home!! I'll even pay your postage!!!

I will ring my LFS on sat and see what they say!! my tank seems so quiet without my girls!!

Sorry I shouldn't but thats too funny 🤣 🤣 🤣

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath J Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 23:36

Sorry about your losses Sad
Nath J
Nath J
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi69 Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 23:36

🤣 its what it would have to say!!

Who would of known I would end up living with a murderer!! sunny
Lexi69
Lexi69
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jul 2009 - 23:39

Lexi69 wrote::Who would of known I would end up living with a murderer!! sunny

Twisted Evil Join my world. I didn't believe he was the murderer until I caught him with a guppy in his mouth Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next