Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Possible Rescue

5 posters

Go down

Possible Rescue Empty Possible Rescue

Post by Luimeril Tue 4 Jan 2011 - 1:44

so, i wandered youtube today, and came across a kid i know is a betta fighter. he's a good kid, and breeds bettas(not just fighters, but HMs, imports, cambodians, ect). he was, in this video, showing off a new fighter he got. was yakkin in fighter-talk about how mean it is, ect, then showed it's recent victem, a CT male(i think). apparently, the fighter bit the CT's eye, and the poor thing's now blind in one eye.

since i know the kid(not personally, but i've talked with him before about his non-fighters), i asked him what he was gonna do with the CT. he said he was gonna keep it, and asked why, if i wanted it. i said maybe, then told him it won't do him much good as a breeder, and it'd be mean and heartless to pit it against another male, even as training. he agreed, then said i could have it.

so, i'm gonna see if he wants money for it(and try to wiggle out of paying for the betta himself, cause i don't want him buying another to pit against the "5 Star Agressive" fighter), but...

i've never had a handicapped fish before. shoot, i've never had any kinda disabled pet before. since he'll be blind in one eye, is there anything special i should do for him? any particular decor to avoid? i know i'll have to treat his fins, and know how to treat ripped/bitten fins. and i know i'll have to keep an eye on any wounds he may have. the kid's not gonna ship him asap, but wait a while to treat his current wounds.

i'm half-not expecting to get him(cause god knows how bad that fighter tore him up), but i wanna be prepaired in case i do. :/

and, before you get fussy at me, he knows how against fighting i am, and i always let him know it. i'm gonna try to wiggle out of paying for the CT if at all possible, and if he wants money, it'll only be shipping(and that's what? $5~10? not nearly enough for a new fighter, or a good betta to breed AND ship the betta.).

i'm also still up in the air if i wanna keep it(should i get it), or adopt it out. since i'm not at all experienced with keeping a disabled betta, i may not be the best home for it. :/

any advice is welcome.
Luimeril
Luimeril
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Possible Rescue Empty Re: Possible Rescue

Post by kizno1 Tue 4 Jan 2011 - 12:42

If im honest i dont think only having 1 else will affect it that much. I had a molly like that that used eat and swim round things perfectly even with 1 eye it still used to keep up with the other mollys at feeding time. As long as you make sure it sees the food going in i think it will just be like a normal betta. I would just stick to decor like you normally would because once they get used to the tnk he should have no problem getting around things just avoid anything sharp that he could swim into and injure himself on.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Luimeril Wed 5 Jan 2011 - 3:06

:d thanks for answer. i'm debating on whether to get him or not. if i DO, he may just be replaced with another betta for the fighter to beat up on. if i don't, who knows what'll happen to him? he could be fought again for fun, and be killed. i'm torn. x-x
Luimeril
Luimeril
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Wed 5 Jan 2011 - 19:04

Personally I don't know how you can even associate with this person. People who fight animals are scum. If you get this fish, even if you only pay shipping (the ethics of shipping a sick, traumatised fish aside), he will only be replaced with another poor male who will end up in the exact same situation. By creating a demand for injured fish, you're not rescuing them, you're encouraging the trade in fighting bettas.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish_Lass Wed 5 Jan 2011 - 19:09

I appreciate that you want to help this fish but like KJ said, its a vicious circle. You're only making space for another injured fish.

I have zero respect for people that pit animals against each other. Its a cruel, heartless act. Its disgusting. I could rant and rant about this but it wouldn't get me anywhere.
Irish_Lass
Irish_Lass

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Wed 5 Jan 2011 - 21:14

I agree with both the two previous comments.

You are between a rock and a hard place( sensibility&compassion) on this
one. I'd like to wring their scrawny little necks! If they're not scrawny now
I could change it. Nothing gets my ire up more than senseless cruelty!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Luimeril Thu 6 Jan 2011 - 5:57

which is why i'm thinking about not getting him. >.>; as much as it tugs on my heart, you all are right. though, i kinda see it like the people who rescue pit bulls from fighters, ya know?

instead, i'm adopting a stunning chocolate/black DT from a user on another betta forum. o3o she's having tough times, and was adopting out five of her stunning babies.
Luimeril
Luimeril
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down