Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

How to heat water for water changes?

+2
Haych
jessie1602
6 posters

Go down

How to heat water for water changes? Empty How to heat water for water changes?

Post by jessie1602 Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 18:27

Hi all.

Sorry to keep pestering for advice, but I want to get my first betta water change properly done ^^ I'm so pleased that Rocky finally seems to be settling in, I don't want to freak him out by mucking up a water change! I never needed to heat water for my goldies water, but I assume for weekly water changes for bettas they need the new water heated to tank temp so as not to shock them? I use bottled water for my betta as my tap water has horribly high nitrates of 40ppm+. How would you advise to heat up bottled water? I thought about pouring it into a plastic bucket and leaving it in the sunshine for a few hours (probably not very much will evaporate?) or possibly microwaving it a little somehow, but not sure if this would affect the quality of the water.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated from experts! :-)

Jess ^^
jessie1602
jessie1602
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

How to heat water for water changes? Empty Re: How to heat water for water changes?

Post by Haych Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 19:09

if you dont do a huge water change you can do it straight from cold - it wont hurt him. I used to on the smaller tanks.

I usually do 50% changes and I fill straight from the tap, but I use hot and cold water to take the chill off my water.

The other thing I do, as atm I am having to use mineral water, I empty out the kettle and boil some (having issues with my water from the tap)
Haych
Haych
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

How to heat water for water changes? Empty Re: How to heat water for water changes?

Post by kizno1 Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 19:13

Like haych said if the bottled water is at room temp and the waterchange is under 50% just use it the way it is it wont shock them that much it actually tempts most fish to breed so doesnt do any harm.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 20:53

For bigger changes I use boiled water added to water from the cold tap Very Happy
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 21:16

I fill 2 plastic jugs leave them in the room for a couple of hours add a splash of boiling water, water conditioner, smidge of aqua salt and stir well....
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jessie1602 Wed 16 Jun 2010 - 12:54

Thanks for the advise you guys. I think I'll leave a bucket of water out by the window to warm up for a few hours, then add a little boiling water before water change time. Hopefully he won't spazz out too much, he was very indignant when I accidentally moved one of his plants earlier. He likes making a bed out of two of the broad leaves and sleeping in between them ^^
jessie1602
jessie1602
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jun 2010 - 14:41

I use my shower to get correct temp which I suppose is okay if you have a shower LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Fri 18 Jun 2010 - 14:33

Boiling a little water to add is the best way, but I don't bother with getting it accurately right for smaller water changes. Hope it went ok!
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down