Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Can a community tank work well for preventing betta boredom?

3 posters

Go down

Can a community tank work well for preventing betta boredom? Empty Can a community tank work well for preventing betta boredom?

Post by Mutsu Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 12:36

So I've got my long 7gal tank here, Triton is in it and enjoying the space... It looks so nice and it's making me reluctant to divide it up!
Has anyone tried adding community fish to a tailbiter's tank? Will it stop him being bored as well as a divided tank with a female would?
If so, what did you put in there?

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Can a community tank work well for preventing betta boredom? Empty Re: Can a community tank work well for preventing betta boredom?

Post by kizno1 Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 13:59

I havent heard of anyone doing it to stop tail biting but i dont see a reason why it wouldnt work. In a 7 G you could have Pygmy corys, galaxy rasbora or ember tetra. Or if you dont want to risk fish maybe even cherry shrimp or a snail would take its mind of tailbiting.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Can a community tank work well for preventing betta boredom? Empty Re: Can a community tank work well for preventing betta boredom?

Post by Mutsu Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 14:06

I'd quite like to put some fish in with him, think it'd look really nice Smile My LFS tend to be happy to take back fish so if I get some this afternoon and have an issue I can take them back tomorrow.
I'd really like to put some ghost shrimp in, they look great - are they suitable? How many would you recommend?
Same goes for the others, they're all nice looking, how many would I put in?
I'll be getting some plants as well to go along the back wall to cover the filter. Fingers crossed it works Smile If it doesn't I'll just take them back, divide and get a female betta.

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 14:13

Ghost shrimp would be fine you could easily have 6 but they might not last long because of the hotter temps it will increase there metabolisms shorting there life span. I would go for cherry shrimp though, there smaller and look alot better IMO and there likely to breed.

You could have 6 of the Pygmy corys, galaxy rasbora or ember tetra. If you went for the Tetra or Rasbora you could have 6 of them plus 6 shrimp or if you go for the pygmy corys alone i would go for 8.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 14:21

Will a tropical flake be ok for the tetras or rasboras? I have a full pot of sinking goldfish pellets from when I had triops, would they be ok for the cories or shrimp?
Will toddle off to the fish shop soon and see what they have Smile

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 14:24

Yeah flakes fine for the tetra and rasbora and the corys will eat it if it falls to the bottom but its not enough for the corys to live off.

The goldfish pellets wont do the corys any good they would probably eat them but food for goldfish is very high in protein much much more than what a cory needs.

The corys and shrimp will take algae wafers and most tropical sinking pellets. I use bloodworm pellets for mine which i got 2KG for about £15 of ebay Shocked
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 14:28

I'll see what the shop have Smile thanks for your advice! will hopefully return in an hour or so with some fish Smile

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 17:33

Got 6 pygmy cories as it was all they had! Unfortunately forgot to get food :/ So they will have to live of sunken tropical flakes for a couple of days, I'll order some off ebay.

Triton is having a good old flare at them!

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 17:50

Well, he's enjoying chasing them, that's for sure! He's trying to nip them... hope he stops soon :/

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 17:53

Mine was like that at first so i took the betta out rearranged the tank added him again and he was fins with them.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 18:20

He seems a bit more relaxed now, he only moved into this tank yesterday evening so he can't be very used to it xD
I've moved the light so there's a dark end and a bright end for them Smile
Do bloodworm pellets have to be crushed? If so, do they still sink? Also which size is better - 3mm or 6mm? Smile

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 18:26

These are the ones i got but a smaller amount you wont need as many as i got or you will be using them for years.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For pygmys i would snap them a few times and then when there in the water the brake into little bits so they will be able to eat them.

Pygmy corys are that nocturnal so arnt to bothered about light or dark but they wont mind either way.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by SiennaBay Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 18:56

Definitely a mystery snail too! My bettas LOVE following their snail pals around. Plus the snail helps clean algae.
SiennaBay
SiennaBay
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Thu 28 Oct 2010 - 19:52

Ahh ok thanks! I've found some that'll arrive in 2-3 days so hopefully they'll be here by monday at the latest Smile
I meant to get a snail too but the only ones they had were huge apple snails! And my tank isn't escape-proof xD

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down