Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Emergency In Community Tank

+2
emeleeliggett
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Emergency In Community Tank Empty Emergency In Community Tank

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:03

Hi Guys

We are having massive problems here. Trevs community tank has had fish dying since yesterday. We've lost 10 neons, 2 lamp eyes 1 male guppy and 1 peppered cory. We have tested the water and all seems okay. The water looks clear and healthy and none of the fish have any whitespot or anything. Although on investigating a neon he has his dorsal fin missing and the peppered cory looks like he's been attacked too but that could have happened after they died. I really am at a loss as to what is happening. Yesterday I done a 50% water change to try and help improve things even though the water stats were clear but they are still dying Sad

The 2 fry are still alive now if there was a problem wouldn't they have died first? I'm truely lost

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
PH - 8
Nitrate 20

Back to top Go down

Emergency In Community Tank Empty Re: Emergency In Community Tank

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:06

is there any white patches of scales around the dorsal fins at all? and on the fish that died?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:07

Modaz wrote:is there any white patches of scales around the dorsal fins at all? and on the fish that died?

None at all Darren Sad I wish there was at least then I'd know what to do

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:08

ok! do they have any concaved bellies at all?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:08

Modaz wrote:ok! do they have any concaved bellies at all?

Nope Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:12

Just a thought, but could of any toxins got in the tank? Cleaners, sprays etc....
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:14

Vandraco aka Bronzecat wrote:Just a thought, but could of any toxins got in the tank? Cleaners, sprays etc....

No we are so so careful and the other tanks are in the same room and there is no problem with them. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:15

have you added any fish recently to that tank?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:16

Modaz wrote:have you added any fish recently to that tank?

Yes 5 male guppies. About 5 days ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:20

OMG HELP

I think I've worked it out we have had a chinese algae eater in there for about 2 years never a problem. I've just witnessed him catch a guppy and he's eating it. What do I with him he's about 3 inches long.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:24

remove him immediately, have you got a tank he can go in?
Once he's gone treat the tank with anti bacterial just in case its an internal problem and he is actually doing what is only natural and attacking the weaker fish due to an infection. Also he ideally should go into a tank on his own if there is a bacteria in this tank.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:29

Modaz wrote:remove him immediately, have you got a tank he can go in?
Once he's gone treat the tank with anti bacterial just in case its an internal problem and he is actually doing what is only natural and attacking the weaker fish due to an infection. Also he ideally should go into a tank on his own if there is a bacteria in this tank.

Okay we have him out !!!! He's in a bucket at the moment. The only tank I have is my new one but if he does have a bacteria infection how will it affect that tank? I need it ready for the end of the month. Will any fish shops take him tomorrow do you think? I'm just about to treat the tank with the anti bac med. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:43

yes a shop may take him/her. its worth a try. I wouldnt add it to the new tank though. have you got an old fish bag? if so add him to it with water ofcourse lol, tie it up and leave him floating in the tank, this will keep him at a steady temp until tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 21:54

Modaz wrote:yes a shop may take him/her. its worth a try. I wouldnt add it to the new tank though. have you got an old fish bag? if so add him to it with water ofcourse lol, tie it up and leave him floating in the tank, this will keep him at a steady temp until tomorrow.

Yup lol luckily I bought some of you a while ago. Right I'll do that thank you so much. I've treated the tank and will keep an eye on things. Thank you so much for your help.

We bought him when we first started fish keeping 2 years ago and didn't realise how aggresive they get I thought we had been lucky and got a quiet one until now. Rolling Eyes

Thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 22:35

The Chinese Algae eater was the culprit Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I have always been advised not to have one, but didn't realise they were that aggressive Evil or Very Mad
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 22:38

yes they can be sods, but its unusual for them to take out fish, they tend to bully them more than kill them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 22:41

Vandraco aka Bronzecat wrote:The Chinese Algae eater was the culprit Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I have always been advised not to have one, but didn't realise they were that aggressive Evil or Very Mad

I wish I had Evil or Very Mad The LFS suggested him 2 years ago to keep algae under control. Naive us bought him as no mention of him getting aggressive. Wasn't till 6 months ago I read how nasty they can get. I thought we were lucky but obviously not Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by emeleeliggett Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 23:17

Good thing you caught him in the act! I got one a while ago, he was tiny but he latched onto my female pleco (who was much bigger than them) and when I got him off she seemed to be missing scales!! :shock: The little devils, we took them back to the store the next day and demanded a refund! I knew they were aggresive but didn't realize they were that bad! Evil or Very Mad

Hope the rest of your fish do well and recover from any attacks!
emeleeliggett
emeleeliggett
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 23:27

emeleeliggett wrote:Good thing you caught him in the act! I got one a while ago, he was tiny but he latched onto my female pleco (who was much bigger than them) and when I got him off she seemed to be missing scales!! :shock: The little devils, we took them back to the store the next day and demanded a refund! I knew they were aggresive but didn't realize they were that bad! Evil or Very Mad

Hope the rest of your fish do well and recover from any attacks!

I was shocked right in front of me he just grabbed a guppy and was so violent and killed it outright.

OMG I can't believe fish shops don't tell you this!!!! Around here everywhere has tanks full of them basically small ones saying good algae eaters. People really need to be aware of how agressive they can be. Twisted Evil

I've noticed one neon has his dorsal fin completely missing but hopefully he will be okay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 23:33

Oh crikey.....I'll missed all this going on!!!! So sorry you've lost so many of your fish Mel crying What a little git the CAE has been. Lucky you spotted what he was up to before you lost them all!!!!!
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 23:39

Netty wrote:Oh crikey.....I'll missed all this going on!!!! So sorry you've lost so many of your fish Mel crying What a little git the CAE has been. Lucky you spotted what he was up to before you lost them all!!!!!

I was so confused about it all at least now I know sort of whats been happening. Treating the tank also and hopefully we will have this sorted.

Um have you ever heard of a fish escaping from a fish bag? Because this CAE is going mental to the extent its actually moving the tank lid :shock:

Trevs devastated bless him it's his pride an joy (The tank)Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 23:54

turn the lights off on the tank and cover it with a towel if he is still bouncing around, this will calm him down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 Jun 2009 - 23:58

Modaz wrote:turn the lights off on the tank and cover it with a towel if he is still bouncing around, this will calm him down.

Lights are off and he seems to have stopped bouncing for now. Nightmare fish!!!

Thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Fri 5 Jun 2009 - 0:00

What a nightmare Mel. All peaceful for so long and then all hell breaks loose. Poor Trev....he must be gutted Sad
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 5 Jun 2009 - 0:03

Netty wrote:What a nightmare Mel. All peaceful for so long and then all hell breaks loose. Poor Trev....he must be gutted Sad

I know 2 years and never a problem well whitespot once but tanks been great other than that. Trev thinks a fish might have died and he munched on it and got the taste like a dog does. I don't know lol but I'm just glad we caught him in the act.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next