Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Apple Snail unable to lay eggs above the water.

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Apple Snail unable to lay eggs above the water.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Apple Snail unable to lay eggs above the water.

Post by Skunk Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 22:12

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Smile The larger one of the 3, I think she's getting the hang of it Smile
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Apple Snail unable to lay eggs above the water.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Apple Snail unable to lay eggs above the water.

Post by kizno1 Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 22:19

Looks good thats about the size mine have. Just be carful when moving bits in the tank around i knocked my snails first 2 lots in the tank by accident when doing a WC.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 22:50

Yeh Smile being extra careful, though the most I do is scoop up leaves off the top, so not much Smile

Excited about them hatching :D
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 22:54

They are tiny when they hatch out. Flip gave me some good advise once they hatch after 24 hours if there is still some of the case left push it in the water they love to get it within minutes loads of the babies where around it munching on it.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 23:05

Yeh, I read about them liking egg casings Smile

Gonna be setting up their home this week so it's matured for when they hatch out.
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 23:07

Sounds good. Make sure you have good filtration as they are really messy.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 23:48

What would you suggest? As I was going to get something like a sponge filter.
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 0:05

I would go for a small internal filter just because they will filter alot more water and should pull in some of the snail poo.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 0:22

Cool Smile
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Sat 18 Sep 2010 - 18:45

sorry i havent been on too mych! you can always e mail me if ya need to:) you really want a good filter for them as they are very messy, how big of a tub are you wanting to raise them in? they wont all grow if they are over crowded. and it will be a lot harder to keep the water good if they are. as for incubating the eggs, that is what i do if they need to hatchout into a different tank than they are laid in. wait a few days after hatching and then i use the bag method. let me know if you want my to show you how i do that and i will get pics of it as it is hard to describe! that is the best method i have tried. again sorry i took so long i havent been able to get here as much the past few weeks, and feel free to email me at any time for anything!!
flip
flip
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Wed 22 Sep 2010 - 15:02

Eep! They're hatching all ready!

Totally overwhelmed atm as their new home is still being used by my axies, who will be moving into their new tank in a few weeks. I do have a few plastic tanks, but these don't have filters so will have frequent water changes.

They're very tiny, and I don't want to drown them, so they're currently hatching in a plastic tank, with damp kitchen paper on the bottom, and the tank is sat on top of a light hood on my goldie tank for heat.

What do I do now?! eep!

What can I feed them? Should they go into water straight away? As some are hatching, shall I break the other clutches up too?

Ah gosh :P
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Wed 22 Sep 2010 - 16:46

I went and got a hatchery from my lfs, its a small plastic box, with very minimal slits (less than 1mm) and it floats on the water, so the majority is submerged.

I painstakingly moved the little snails from where they had hatched, to this hatchery and popped them in the tank, so they're in the water now.

I have no idea if they're alive or not, but I'm guessing they were seeing as the majority managed to hatch out themselves. Also, I took the decision to have them in the water cause I though, when they hatch out into tanks, they fall into the water anyway, so surely they'll be ok?

So, what do I feed them? There isn't anything in there atm, just a few shell cases that managed to drop in when i was moving them.

Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Fri 24 Sep 2010 - 23:19

I chucked in a dead leaf (as mine are the kind that eat decaying, rather than live, plants). As well as an algae wafer Smile

Happy to say that plenty of the little buggers are all over both Smile
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Fri 24 Sep 2010 - 23:21

You can feed the pretty much any fruit and veg.Try to give them a varied diet. Glad they hatched out alright.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Fri 24 Sep 2010 - 23:26

Yeh Smile All went well, and they seem to be doing good. Will start varying their diet!
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Sun 26 Sep 2010 - 16:46

yep in the water was right, and they eat the same things the adults eat. they just eat less!
flip
flip
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sun 26 Sep 2010 - 17:04

Smile Glad I've done the right thing by them! They seem to be doing well :D What is their growth rate usually? Till they're about pea sized?
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Tue 28 Sep 2010 - 14:27

their growth rate will depend on a few different things. ideally they need 2.5 gallons for each adult snail and the babies will not grow if they are too overcrowded. i do have mine in a 2 gall nursery tank until they are pea size though and they take a few weeks. also how much they are fed, if you feed them a good diet regularly they will grow quicker. and (yes theres more, they depend on a lot!) the temperature you keep them at will affect them. the best temp for them is around 74-76 degrees F. they can survive at up to 80F but it will really speed up their metabolism and growth and the shells they make will not usually be as good as if they are in the right temp. as long as you feed them a good diet regularly, keep them at a good temp and dont overcrowd them they can be up to sell size in two months. at least the size my store takes them at you will have to ask yours what the minimum size they will take them at for you. big thing, i know ive said it, but if they are overcrowded some will stop growing completely! i have that happen once when i started out before i got my 70g to go with the 55g! i have snails that are almost a year old now that are the size of a large pea still. i do not know why they didnt start growing again when they had the room, but i cant in good consiense sell those so now they are pets!
flip
flip
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2