Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Imediate Apple Snail Help! Crushed up Shell!

+2
liz2
jasminek
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Imediate Apple Snail Help! Crushed up Shell! Empty Imediate Apple Snail Help! Crushed up Shell!

Post by jasminek Thu 8 Oct 2009 - 23:04

Hi,
Tonight i didnt notice my apple snail on the floor and dont know how he got there but i had stepped on him, all his shell is crushed most of its come off just he still has the little end bit with the shell point bit but this is fragile, i thought he was dead and this happened about 5 hours ago, i just looked and i went towards his face and his tentacle went in, then came back out. Hes still alive, so i cut a small bit off a see-through plastic file and put it around his middle and frotn secton whwere the shells gone and i put a little elastic band around that to hold him together a bit. Is there any chance his shell should grow back and he'll be ok? OR should i put him out of his misery because it wont grow back? If so, how do i euthanize him? Or if his shell may grow back, how can i help it grow back? (any meds or anything?)
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Imediate Apple Snail Help! Crushed up Shell! Empty Re: Imediate Apple Snail Help! Crushed up Shell!

Post by Guest Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 0:08

Well to be honest i would think the shell would grow back from what is left as long as its attached to him. You can get a product from your store that helps with the growth of shells on snails but i cant remember what it is called. Has he tried to eat at all?
I take my hat off to you making him a makeshift home, well done you!! I wouldnt of thought about that and this will hopefully keep him protected for a while with the hope that his shell starts to cover the exposed area. Do'nt take what I'm saying as gospel though but thats what i would do. I would'nt put him out of his misery just yet.

Back to top Go down

Imediate Apple Snail Help! Crushed up Shell! Empty Re: Imediate Apple Snail Help! Crushed up Shell!

Post by Guest Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 0:12

i found this on a site for you.

My snail is out of its shell. Will it survive?
Unfortunately the snail won't survive without the shell.
In a normal healthy snail, the body is firmly attached to the shell with the columellar muscle. When this muscle breaks or becomes detached, the snail can loose its shell. Such a situation can be considered lethal, as the shell is vital for the survival of the snail. Without the structural support from the shell, the mantle cavity collapses and both the lung as well the gill function is impaired with suffocation as possible result. Furthermore the shell protects the weak and vulnerable part of the snail, and without this protection, the snail becomes and easy and defenceless target for fish and other predators.

its doesnt mean that he will die though.

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 8:01

how is he getting on?
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 16:12

Hes still alive and theres a little munch gone out of the algae wafer hes in a jug with about 2 inch fo water in for now. Hes still alive, i he doesnt look like he'll make it though, im unsure if with that platic on him hes able to move ither.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 17:36

Hi jasmine,

Feed him some high calcium food, to help speed up the repair and growth, something like Dill Weed.

hope he gets better soon [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

oh yeh, and i second that, i dont think he will be able to move wrapped up like that. so take it off Smile Replace it with tape or a waterproof plaster, just the sticky bit though.

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 17:53

ok! :D thanks, i dont have any other foods for him. what kind of foods?
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:05

hold on 2 mins, lemme check lol
:D

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:11

snail milk (if you can get ahold of it, lfs might have it)

or use this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Read all of it, including the steps Smile

As he is already seperate from your other fish, get a hold of a cuttlebone (used for budgies) and pop some into the water, he will gain calcium from that aswell, rather than eating it. That will mix into the water making it calcium rich-- the ideal conditions for a Apple Snail :D

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:14

thanks :D im not going to dot eh plaster idea as it will stick to his inner organs, i may get some egg shell and put that over then gently tape it with something, although ehs very fiddly! I dont have snail milk ither Sad Will read that now, thanks so much!
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:17

lol..cool.. no worries..Hope he gets better soon :D :D :D

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:19

But i have no where to stick the plaster to, if i do the egg shell thing then where can i attach the plaster ir whatever to? If i did it to his trap door then it will cause him difficulty.
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:20

im unsure he'll survive anyway, even if i do temporarily mend his shell. I just got some cuttle out of my parrots cage, lucky!
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:30

woah... yes defos luck, just carry on keeping him in his own tank thing, and the calcium from the cuttle bone wiil speed up repair and growth. Also is he still wrapped, i would say take it off so the 'nutrients' can get to his shell. He may also munch the soft bit of the cuttlebone aswell.

Edit: Feed him abit of cucumber aswell.

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:42

Thankyou so much, im so lucky to have you helping me! I'm about to do a mini operation with him now, i plan to take off the thing hes wrapped in, put a little egg shell covering the open areas and then put a slac elastic band around the bottom so he can still move hopefully, i would of left it but i dotn want to risk anything falling out. I will change his water so tis clean and put him back in with a little cucumber and the cuttle fish :D Does this sound ok? Should it repeair or will he slowly die?
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:48

jasminekiddell wrote:Thankyou so much, im so lucky to have you helping me!
cheers Smile

jasminekiddell wrote: I'm about to do a mini operation with him now, i plan to take off the thing hes wrapped in, put a little egg shell covering the open areas and then put a slac elastic band around the bottom so he can still move hopefully, i would of left it but i dotn want to risk anything falling out. I will change his water so tis clean and put him back in with a little cucumber and the cuttle fish [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Does this sound ok? Should it repeair or will he slowly die?

hopefully, his shell will repair. Sending good vibes!
Obviously it wont take one day, but id say the next 24hrs are critical (how they say on animal tv programmes Smile )
And then if he does stay alive, you have a good chance of him getting through it Smile

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:50

Ok, thanks :D Will perform the little operation now, its pretty hard though as hes fragile! will let you know hoe it goes!
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:51

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:56

The shell idea just sint working! it keeps breaking and not going right! i dont know what to use!
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 19:16

Alright ive doen it, i found a peice of his old shell that came off and put that on top, its elasticated down and not on his trap door, he has cuttle fish and cucumber in with him but had to weigh them down with a marble on the other side, hopefully ive done all i can now :D thanks for the advice betta_246
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Fri 9 Oct 2009 - 19:36

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] hopefully he will be ok overnight! Smile

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Assaye Tue 13 Oct 2009 - 16:12

How is he??
Assaye
Assaye
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Assaye Tue 13 Oct 2009 - 16:22

"I had one of my large apple snails (about 4", 4 years old) partly
crushed. I used 'superglue' (cyanocrylate) to put his shell back together. Fortunately,
he wasn't damaged internally and this reconstructed shell worked very well.
I also put him on a diet of algae tablets and canned spinach. In six weeks he
had regrown enough of his inner shell to hold himself together and I was able
to stop reglueing. He's doing well a year later."

Hope this helps!
Assaye
Assaye
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Assaye Tue 13 Oct 2009 - 16:42

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Assaye
Assaye
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Thu 15 Oct 2009 - 16:09

if he survives and can eat well over the weekend let me know and i'll send you some apple snail shell - from old snails - you can glue pieces onto the snails damaged shells - i glue with sealant so its flexible and the snail can still grow - a lot of the time the new glued shell will evenutually fall off after 3-6 months
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next