Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

How to feed frozen bloodworms? Also Q about boredom

+2
silverrabbit
Mutsu
6 posters

Go down

How to feed frozen bloodworms? Also Q about boredom  Empty How to feed frozen bloodworms? Also Q about boredom

Post by Mutsu Wed 15 Sep 2010 - 21:54

How many at a time, how often and how long do they last if defrosted but in an airtight container?

I bought a packet from p@h but there's loads in each ice block, about 50, so will they be ok defrosted in water and then sealed at room temp until they're finished? Cause I can't cut an ice cube in half xD

Also, my new boy has started doing a lap around the back of his tank over and over, the same each time. Is this a sign of boredom or is he just patrolling?

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

How to feed frozen bloodworms? Also Q about boredom  Empty Re: How to feed frozen bloodworms? Also Q about boredom

Post by silverrabbit Wed 15 Sep 2010 - 23:08

Best way is to cut or grate a corner off the block - a defrosted block will not last very long and will be waaaay too much for a betta in a couple days. I feed maybe 3-4 if they are biggish worms, and sometimes up to 10 tiny ones, more for conditioning.
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

How to feed frozen bloodworms? Also Q about boredom  Empty Re: How to feed frozen bloodworms? Also Q about boredom

Post by KalandraJane Wed 15 Sep 2010 - 23:26

The cubes are actually really easy to cut up, they cut pretty well into smaller cubes, not like trying to cut an ice cube where it flies off leaving a tiny fragment cut off and you slice through your finger.

I cut each one into four but that's to feed two bettas, so I reckon a cube cut into eight would provide small enough servings for a single betta. I wrap each bit in foil, then the lot in another bit of foil and put it back in the freezer.

I really wouldn't recomment keeping the defrosted worms around, even in a sealed tub in the fridge, they dry out really fast and start to stink once they've been sat round more than a few minutes.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Thu 16 Sep 2010 - 7:00

Hahaha ok thanks for the advice, they sound so gross xD Most of the worms look pretty small, he'd better like them as they were expensive! (£2.99!)

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Thu 16 Sep 2010 - 9:14

He'll love them Smile mine gobble them up faster than anything else.

They are grim... I'm a vegan, how do you think I feel? Hehe Wink
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Thu 16 Sep 2010 - 22:59

I think thats probably patrolling the territory rather than boredom, but some people feel bettas are less bored in a well planted tank, I know my boys love to play in their Java fern, other people try ping pong balls on the water surface although i myself havent tried this..

As far as worms go the guys are right you cant keep it for any time at all once it's defrosted. I tend to just buy live blood worm and brine shrimp for mine as a treat. They enjoy hunting live food and it definitely gives them something to do!
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Mon 20 Sep 2010 - 17:45

I've just ordered him some more plants from a member on here, I love the live plants they are doing a great job at keeping my nitrate levels down - they're all at 0 at the moment even though I've had him just over a week in there so I'm not sure whether to water change or not!

I fed him some bloodworms a couple of minutes ago, he LOVED them! Tried to suck my fingers off! Even after washing my hands, they still smell of that weird bloodworm smell though :|

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Mon 20 Sep 2010 - 18:56

Yuck I don't touch the bloodworms, veggie here! I always defrost the whole cube, any left overs go in the pond or tropical tank. I put the frozen cube in a plastic lid and then stand the lid in a saucer of hot water. I then get the worms out with a cocktail stick trying not to be sick at the same time.... sick
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Mon 20 Sep 2010 - 20:28

Haha xD I'm actually pescatarian (same as veggie but I occasionally eat fish) but the only thing that ever makes me squeamish is vomit :P

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Mon 20 Sep 2010 - 21:43

I use long tweezers to feed them, it's good because they get used to seeing the tweezers in the water and come straight to them for food.

Blergh to the smell!
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Tue 21 Sep 2010 - 2:29

I use tweezers too as I want to control their amount and I worry I might have something on my hands. Rarely touch their food with my fingers.
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down