Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Some fish that I like the look of, betta friendly?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some fish that I like the look of, betta friendly? Empty Some fish that I like the look of, betta friendly?

Post by Skunk Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 23:40

I'm going to be getting a 100L tank (or something similar). I had a good look around a few aquarists in my area, and had a good chat to a few guys who work there.

I noted the names of fish that I liked the look of, so how do you think they'd be with around 8 girlie bettas and guppies. (Like to include photos for my own reference Very Happy)

- Polkadot Synodontis
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

- Cardinal Tetras
- Bristlenose Pleco <3

- Bulldog Pleco

- Banana or Glass Shrimp

- Zebra Danio

(The other I saw were actually cichlids (copadichromis chrysonotus, caeruleus) been told they just clear out a tank, true?)

Any that would possible outgrow the tank or have difficult breeding (i.e. with B.Splendens not keeping males and females together).

What else would you suggest? I like nice colourful shoaling fish that wouldn't hassle my bettas.

Thanks guys!
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Some fish that I like the look of, betta friendly? Empty Re: Some fish that I like the look of, betta friendly?

Post by silverrabbit Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 23:59

I've heard very good things about bulldog plecs and am considering getting some myself. They stay small so are great for smaller tanks. They like sand to bury themselves in Smile

Not sure about the synodontis - he's really pretty but i'm almost positive that it'd outgrow your tank.

I had what you call banana shrimp (not sure what they're called where I got them from), and they did well up until I moved my last one from my male tank to the sorority, where they must've killed him Sad Nice shrimp but as they are filter feeders (hold out their fluffy hands to catch particles from the fliter outflow) you need a fairly strong current, somewhere for them to sit and feed in the flow of water (piece of tall bogwood would do for them to perch on, or a plant that won't get too blown away in the current).

The glass shrimp tend to be sold as feeders around here and don't last very long in tanks IME, though had a few that lived for a few months in my divided betta tank. My boys didn't bother them.

Zebra danios.. not kept them myself so no idea, same with the cardinals but I reckon they'd both be ok with the girls.

I'd maybe recommend having a look at rummynose tetras.. they're colourful and shoal nicely Smile
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Some fish that I like the look of, betta friendly? Empty Re: Some fish that I like the look of, betta friendly?

Post by damo2904 Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 0:02

Ok, I've had most of these & kept them in sororitys with female bettas, I had 15 females at one point, & to be honest keeping many fish together was how my disaster started & finished the whole thing & I had to start again.

First of all....the polkadot, never kept them...so u'd need to ask someone else.

Any type of pleco IMO poops EVERYWHERE!!!!! I use to get sick to death of moving gravel & the amount of crap that use to churn out was a nightmare, i know it wasn't just the pleco (my i add, i only had ONE!) but whenever I looked at it, it was pooping!!!
Neon tetras, again in my opinion use to just die, never lasted long, & i had 1 out of 7 left which lasted awhile! (these are very popular to keep with bettas though).
Danios, I had 4, they use to rip the hell outta my females fins, so god only knows what they'd do to a long finned male, i never tried that & never will.
Shrimp, breed like hell.......& my females ate a couple adult ones.

personally, I found keeping lots of different type fish with females a nightmare, other fish would pick up diseases & the females would die from it.
Like I said, i had 15 females once, in two days i lost 5 females per day which bought me down to 5, then the last 5 died in a week or so. Other fish use to die overnight & the females would eat the dead fish, course the body was half gone by the time i got up in the morning.
I tried everything to stop this problem when it was happening, but it was like, BOOM!!! GONE!!...no idea still to this day what exactly happened.

No I keep my females in a huge tank, for just them & one gourami as he's an anabantoid too.

Really sorry & didnt mean to ruin your ideas, but my opinion is, I just keep bettas on there own, its easier than mixing them with loads of different species, it comes with probs.

damo2904
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 0:03

Smile Thanks for the good advice! Bit iffy on getting the shrimp anyway cause I know bettas like to eat them :P Heard about people on this forum keeping cherry shrimp, but not sure if it was in with Bettas.

By the size I've seen the synodontis grow to, I do think that it would outgrow, but they're less than an inch when you buy them (smaller than guppies)! so cute!

I'd be having sand so thats good for the bulldogs Smile I'll have a look into the rummynose tetras, thanks!
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 0:04

Hiya

Apart from the Synodontis, the others pictured would be ok. The Syno grows big and eats little fish lol Needs a 4ft tank.

Others that you could look at are - various Rasboras, Cories, X-Ray tetras, Ornate Pygmy catfish. Probably best to avoid fish that a similar shape to the female bettas.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 0:05

Oooh totally forgot about cories.... they are FAB. Esp the albinos, they are so HYPER!!
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 0:07

Thanks for the great insight damo2904, I wouldn't have thought that 5+ species would work together, too much risk of disease!
Won't be getting danios if they fin shred, eep!

Tetras do sound a good option to try though.
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 0:08

Ah, seen Synos big, but wouldn't have though that big :P

Thanks for the suggestions Smile

Anything on the bristlenose?
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 0:22

BN's are great little plecs Very Happy Dont get them too small though.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 0:25

One of my BN's is really nasty towards my females... and they do poop a load but the albino boys are so funky looking Smile
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 0:26

Ah good, I was hoping BNs would be generally ok, as I'm pretty in love with them fat docile things!
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 19:43

there are still alot of other synos and cats thatr can go in the tank
upside down catfish / Synodontis nigriventris
Synodontis contracta
Synodontis batesii
all stay small
have a look on here and see if theres any others you like
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

other catfish
banjo
anchor catfish [im getting some of these]
pictus
bumblee bee catfish
twig
whiptail
Hoplo

most types of corys should do fine in the tank
sterbai do well at the same temps as bettas

plecs
BNs
Starlight BN
Rubbernose
clown
zebra if you have £75
and a few others but most are fairly rare
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 19:53

Ooo thank you! Think I'm falling in love with cat fish too! <3 Thanks for that link and some great suggestions Smile
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:11

i like catfish but the only thing thats anoying about them is most of them are really messy and because there all bottom dwellers you can only have so many.

the
upside down catfish / Synodontis nigriventris
Synodontis contracta
Synodontis batesii
anchor catfish
pictus
Hoplo
and corys

all neeed to be kept in groups or 4+ but 6+ is better. the anchor catfish look really good im going to get a few for my 15g but them might be a little small for a 100l because they only get about 1" but then it would look nice to have 10 of them in a tank that big
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:19

Yeh Smile I was looking at the polkadot Syno babies at my lfs and they were around 1" so very cute, didn't think of them getting bigger Very Happy Gorgeous though, maybe for another future tank!

Thanks for the advice Smile
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:22

alot of synos tend to loose most of there markings when they get older though most of them loose spots and stripes and will just me brown or black im not to sure about these synos though.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:31

Ah ok, so for the unwitting first time fish enthusiast like myself, gonna be disappointed by their markings when they get older? Oh well, fat docile boring marked things are my thing :D

Interesting to know though!
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:35

not all of them do but most fade or disapper.
thats mostly the synos the plecs corys and other cats shouldnt. my upside down catfish marks have faded slightly but you can still clearly see them.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:41

Smile Cool, very interested in getting a BN and a bulldog Pleco. Would they be ok together? In a tank that size?
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:42

they should aslong as there are enough hiding places. some bns can be a little agressive though ive never had a problem but some people have.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:45

Cool :D very excited, going to spend a lot of time getting this tank ready before adding any fish, want it to be near as right as possible first :D
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:48

thumbup sounds like a good plan. you might have to ask your lfs to order some of them cats in depending on what you want most of them arnt normally stocked by lfs
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 20:58

Yeh, luckily my local lfs is pretty good and stocks discus and half of there store is dedicated to cichlids (not that I'd have any in a community tank). So, I'm sure ordering them wouldn't be a problem. Sadly, their female bettas are quite unfortunate and 2/5 batches die within days of being at the lfs Sad their males are fine and the guys just can't see what it could be. I think it may be something wrong with the breeder's temps?
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 21:00

dont have a clue scratch
i had apistogramma in with my females with no problems but i wouldnt recommend it i think i got lucky
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 21:02

Ooo they are very pretty cichlids, but yeh, from what I read I wouldn't want them in with my future community, maybe in there own tank if I wanted them
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next