Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Cleaning gravel

+2
2tall
SiennaBay
6 posters

Go down

Cleaning gravel Empty Cleaning gravel

Post by SiennaBay Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 1:02

Hi everybody. I have my betta in a 3 gallon tank with an inch-long snail (I think it's a mystery snail). The substrate is standard sized aquarium gravel, colored black. When I replace water in the tank I use a small airline hose to remove old water plus vacuum the gravel a bit. (I can't use a regular aquarium siphon to vacuum because my tank is too small.) My problem is this. Using the airline hose, it is either vacuuming up little gravel pieces or getting gravel pieces stuck inside it, which of course stops it up & slows the flow of water. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should use to do a good gravel vacuuming without simply sucking up gravel? I just added my snail today and I hear they produce quite a bit of waste so I really need to know what to do here! Thanks in advance for any tips!
SiennaBay
SiennaBay
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Cleaning gravel Empty Re: Cleaning gravel

Post by 2tall Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 1:11

I use a small vacuum siphon hose on my 2gl. hex all the time.The vacuum portion is about 1" in dia. and approx. 6" long with a 1/2" hose. I drain water(1/3) from the tank into a small receptacle and return it through the net until I'm satisfied with cleaning and finally remove the amount I'm changing out. It works well so far!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 1:18

I have a gravel vac which is about 1" dia and is extendable from about 12" to 24" with a narrow hose so you can really get into a small tank without disturbing anything. You just need to shop around until you find something suitable Smile

Until then you could put a bit of something over the end of your tube to stop gravel going up but still let bits of dirt through - a plastic mesh with holes about 1/16" of the kind used for small nets should do it, held on with a rubber band.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 3:50

I normally do just partial water changes all week then once a week I do a full clean. I scoop my fishy up into a cup (with the old water in it) and I completely dump out the tank and give the gravel a really good rinse-through in a strainer. Then I put the rocks back in, set in the plants, then fill it with my jug of treated water I always keep ready and let it sit for about 1/2 hour then put fishy back in. The fish seem fine with it.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 23:42

You can buy smaller sized vaccuums from ebay and some LFS's. I use a Biorb one on my smaller hosp tanks that are 11litres and it works fine, even when I had gravel in it
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by jessie1602 Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 15:13

I use a large turkey baster in all my smaller tanks. I swirl up the gravel with the end, not too much, just so the debris and muck goes slightly into the water then I just siphon it up with the baster and squirt it into a jug and repeat. You can be alot more precise with a turkey baster than a siphon hose in small spaces and it doesn't take very long either. You can get them pretty cheaply on eBay too.
jessie1602
jessie1602
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down