Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Betta's Spawned!!

+2
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Captain_Jim57
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Betta's Spawned!! Empty Betta's Spawned!!

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 4:06

I left my betta's in the 20 gallon community tank, and I noticed right now that the female is skinnier, so I looked more into it, and I find a whole bunch of eggs with the male guarding them! I'm happy that they spawned but I didn't even mean for them too! What should I do now? I scooped them up with a little bucket of water and put em in my 5 gallon tank so they won't get eaten, the male didn't seem to mind and your supposed to remove the male after a couple days anyways right?
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Betta's Spawned!! Empty Re: Betta's Spawned!!

Post by Guest Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 8:58

I would've just left the eggs with the male. This is what happens when you house a male and female together, it never is planned but it usually happens. You need to read up about breeding bettas and also housing bettas so that you dont find yourself in similar situations in the future. This will give you an insight of what could be wrong.

bettaparadise.co.uk has some good info :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 11:34

Hiya

I thought you said that you had put the male in his own seperate tank after being advised about not keeping them together?

Keeping males and females together is like a time bomb, all seems fine, then one day all hell will break loose No It really isn't worth the risk to be honest.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 12:31

I did have him in his seperate tank, but then my gourami almost killed him! He was all beaten up and his fins were all torn and stuff, so I had to put him in with my female in the community tank,... Sorry
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 12:47

were they still in the bubble nest - and are they still in a nest ?
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 13:54

They we're all over the place, I panicked Sad so I put them in the 5 gallon, (the male didn't mind, I checked on him this morning, female alive and male not bothering her) anyways, they're floating in the breeding trap, just till they hatch or big enough, (free swimming) then I'm gonna just let them in the 5 gallon tank,
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 14:11

There is a high risk of fungus building up on them now. The main part of the males job is to keep away fungus that kill the eggs. They might still hatch but i very much doubt it. if its the breeding trap that is a net the fry will be fine, if its the plastic ones, they will get out, do you know how big betta fry are? look inside the brackets and this is how big they are when hatched (.)
I think it may be an idea to rehome one of your bettas. Not a nice thing to do but it will be better for the fish in the long run.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 14:25

Ya, I covered the plastic, so they won't fall out or anything, and I've done my research, I know how to care for them, it's just that I tried to spawn them before, and it didn't work, (they weren't ready) so I put my female in my 20 gallon community and my male in the 15 gallon community, (but like I said, the gourami almost killed my male) so I had no other choice then to put him in the 20 gallon tank, there's no fungus at all, (if you can see the fungus) all the eggs are fine, and I already have homes for the babies, (when they're big enough) I talked to my local pet store, and he said they would gladly take them for me, so I read up on everything, and I'm pretty sure I know what to do,...
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 14:39

What about the female and male hon? Are you going to consider rehoming??
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 14:41

Why? they're fine in my 20 gallon community tank, the male isn't bugging the female, and the female is fine too, they're getting along just fine (for over 4 weeks now)

EDIT: sorry not trying to be rude, but I don't see the problem,.. Smile
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by The young one Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 14:48

aw c'mon mate, when you first joined this forum many people told you it would not last, so you moved the male to a different tank, but he got nipped so you put him back in the 20gal, fair enough.

But just because the male and the female spawned doesn't mean they're happy families.

I suggest you either rehome one of them or seperate them.

The young one
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 15:13

Ya, but what else can I do???? Mad it's either the male that gets killed by my gourami, or my female that gets killed, and actually, FYI, I had a male and female that lasted 2 years in the same tank with each other, nothing ever happend to them...
sorry for sounding rude, but I'm just sick of people complaining at me!
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 15:15

I dunno if I'm gonna come back to this forum, I already have anxiety and people complaining at me doesn't help! Sad
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by The young one Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 15:16

I'm not complaining I'm just suggesting what to do, maybe you should rehome one of them as you don't have enough tanks to seperate them.

The young one
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 15:24

ya, I might have to do that,... and I know, you weren't complaining,.. don't worry! Just my anxiety is terrible right now! Sad sorry again if I was rude
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 15:29

Oh no! I just put my female mollies (2) in the 5 gallon tank to give birth, when putting them in the breeder box accidentally tipped over and all the eggs fell into the tank with the females and 5 day old fry, will any eggs survive? they're supposed hatch by today or tomorrow Sad I feel terrible right now,
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 16:14

We're not complaining hon, just going by experiences. This is the advice given, you don't have to take it, leave them together but you have been fairly warned if it does go wrong. You can always rehome them to a friend with spare tank or send the female onto a local LFS.

In regards to the above, not likely hon for the majority as the male tending to them in his specific way and being at the top etc is what helps them. You may get one or two survive but for now it will be a case of time will tell.

Please don't take us as complaining we are trying to give you guidance, there are many breeders on here who have not had the outcome of male and females turn out good living together.

Further to your babies hon, have you any food in prep for them just in case of survivors and if there are some (because you really never do know) have you containers to separate the fry when big enough (this I guess you can wait and see what happens, though the mollies may scavenge the eggs?).
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 16:16

Hey, I have containers and food for the babies, if any survive now
Sad I hope the mollies will be ok though, I have em in with 5 day old molly fry (they don't seem to bother the babies though)
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 16:21

I think the mollies will be ok..my sister introduced her molly and guppy fry to her community (the entire community!) and was concerned but they have been there two days now and none have disappeared. So you may be fine!

p.s. Maybe a word of warning once they have given birth it may be a different situation so keep close eye on them!
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 16:22

Okies, thanks! ya, the 5 fry are still there, so none have been eaten (that I know of)
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 16:24

I think molly fry are pretty sturdy so fingers crossed for you and all the fry mollies and bettas included.
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 16:26

Thanks! all the eggs are scattered all throughout the tank, so I don't think many will get eaten, (their on the bottom with the gravel) and the gravel is white too) so they blend in,
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 16:43

Just to clarify Jim, when you said you moved the male in your original thread you said he was in a tank all of his own....... if you had told us there was a gourami in there we would have been able to tell you in a heartbeat that he would probably be attacked, so just be honest with us and give us all the info you have in future and we'll be able to help you out a lot better, dont want you to become upset due to this, people do get frustrated if their advice doesnt appear to have been taken but by being honest and giving us all the info you can it saves stress for you and confusion for us.
Seeing as your tight on room I would leave the eggs, its likely they will get eaten but it enables you to wait a while until your REALLY ready to have a spawn thats planned. good luck!
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Jim57 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 18:00

Ok! Thanks wilsonnw8! Ya,(he was in a 5 gallon tank all on his own) but remember when I tried to breed my betta's? you said that he might kill the female if not ready, and they weren't, so I put him in my 15 gallon community tank, I did have a thread about it, so I thought you guys knew, sorry! I had no idea that the gourami would attack my betta, Sad he doesn't attack my other fish so that's why I didn't bother telling you guys, I thought it'd be ok,.. :S but apparently not,... anyways, one of the eggs was in the breeding box still, I thought they all fell out but apparently not, anyways, it looks like it's hatching, there's something coming out of it, it looks about this small (.) the dot inside the brackets is what it looks like... is that a baby?
Captain_Jim57
Captain_Jim57
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 18:34

yeah baby bettas are pretty microscopic and need to be fed live food from the off, just hatched baby brine shrimp, walter worms etc as mentioned previously. You'd also need the light on for another day with dad looking after the eggs alone i.e. no other fish around at all. then dad would need to be removed into a seperate tank on his own and the tank with the babies in would have to be "their tank" for a further couple of months before you could transfer them to a grow out. Its a bit of a sticky situation your in!

p.s. the reason gourami's and bettas fight is they are part of the same family so see each other as a threat
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next