Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

plant bugs, possible cause for my wcmm flicking?

3 posters

Go down

plant bugs, possible cause for my wcmm flicking? Empty plant bugs, possible cause for my wcmm flicking?

Post by babyd Mon 3 Aug 2009 - 16:14

As you know ,my minnows have been flicking, have treated with 10 day course of sterazin......

I had a new plant with them the week before and some new ones not put in there yet, so I decided to treat the plants in a small tank at same time, just in case.....

I have this small tank on the windowsill and just noticed a teeny tiny thing moving, then another.....they are the smallest things I ever saw, about 2mm long, less than hair thin and sort of push through the water. Could these be the gill flukes????
If so, how have they survived a 10 day course of sterazin?

What should I do to kill them, will anything work or should I just bin the plants......it is java moss, balls......

thanks
babyd
babyd
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

plant bugs, possible cause for my wcmm flicking? Empty Re: plant bugs, possible cause for my wcmm flicking?

Post by Netty Mon 3 Aug 2009 - 16:25

Could be planaria worms....what colour are they and have you noticed any on the sides of the tank or on the bottom?

Also cyclops could be a possibilty...both of these aren't harmful and most fish will eat them.
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

plant bugs, possible cause for my wcmm flicking? Empty Re: plant bugs, possible cause for my wcmm flicking?

Post by babyd Mon 3 Aug 2009 - 16:49

I dont think they are planara, they are more wormy aren't they? Im sure I saw one before in another tank and it was very wriggly in an inchworm kinda way. they dont wriggle they just move forwards in a push motion, they glide not wriggle. None on sides, just going near surface and mid-layers of water. I would never have seen them if the plastic critter keeper was not on the windowsill. you need the light behind the water to even see them, even then you have to watch and look for slight movement.
Not even 2mm long, white, maybe dark dot on end/s...need a magnifying glass, hubby bringin me one home lol they literally look like the tiny hairs on leaves, that tiny and fine.

I rinsed out the tank, squeezed the plants in tap water then added them back to small tank with a solution of esha 2000, as it says it can sterilize plants, so we will see if they live......there are still some in there so I will be able to tell. Failing that a weak bleach solution may do the trick then rinse plants well and soak in heavily dechlorinated water.......
babyd
babyd
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenda Mon 3 Aug 2009 - 18:00

Here is a link that I found helpful in IDing bugs/critters in my aquariums, most are harmless in small number and eaten by the fish.

http://planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html
Brenda
Brenda
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Mon 3 Aug 2009 - 18:29

That's a great link Brenda. Will make it into a sticky so it's easy for people to find thumbup
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum