Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Tips for keeping shrimps in betta tanks

3 posters

Go down

Tips for keeping shrimps in betta tanks Empty Tips for keeping shrimps in betta tanks

Post by pippoodle Mon 27 Jul 2009 - 16:48

I have a lot of different types of dwarf shrimp and i dont think i'm too bad at keeping them alive in my community tanks

Firstly
DO NOT USE any treatments with COPPER in if you are planning to keep or are keeping Shrimp as copper kills shrimps .

They need a nice thick area of plant to hide on the floor of the tank either silk or real - if going for real try java moss , christmas moss or riccia - tied down
They enjoy exploring around bogwood so a small bit of smooth bogwood , a piece with the moss or riccia on would be even better , this also gives them somewhere to hide underneath the bogwood
The plants are beneficial to shrimp as they spend a lot of time eating micro organisms off them
they also enjoy floating plants and will even surface feed with bettas in the tank
My shrimps enjoy exploring the Indian almond leaves i put in for the bettas - i put them in my shrimp only tanks to and they will strip the leaves down to stalks only

They need to have a perfect tank - 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia -Recommended Nitrates kept below 20 some individual species prefer below 10 please chack when buying the shrimp, they do well at same temp as bettas

Yes the betta might munch a couple of shrimplets if you get the shrimp to breed , Adult shrimp are mostly too fast for bettas , if you have enough hiding areas the shrimps and bettas can co exist happily

you could also add some hikairi mineral powder once a month to make sure betta and shrimp get the right minerals in the tank

I only feed the shimp in community/betta tanks once a week with hikari or sura shrimp pellets the rest of the time they feed on algae and any betta food that sinks

MAKE sure you choose the correct sort of shrimp - you want dwarf shrimp be careful if you live in the Us not to buy Macrobrachium as ghost shrimp - a lot of fish stores seem to have Macrobrachium listed as ghost shrimp but Macrobrachium will rip a betta's fins to pieces

Last edited by pippoodle on Tue 28 Jul 2009 - 13:50; edited 2 times in total
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Tips for keeping shrimps in betta tanks Empty Re: Tips for keeping shrimps in betta tanks

Post by Brenda Mon 27 Jul 2009 - 17:26

Great information and to add, the Neocaridina heteropda species can be very sensitive to high nitrates as well. Most recommend that nitrates be kept at or below 20ppm and 10ppm or lower being best.
Brenda
Brenda
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Tips for keeping shrimps in betta tanks Empty Re: Tips for keeping shrimps in betta tanks

Post by pippoodle Mon 27 Jul 2009 - 17:27

forgot about the nitrates hun thanks will add that
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Tue 28 Jul 2009 - 19:11

added copper info
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Wed 29 Jul 2009 - 0:05

I've made this a Sticky as I think it will be very useful for members that are wanting to keep shrimp thumbup
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum