Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Got myself into a pickle! What to do?

3 posters

Go down

Got myself into a pickle!  What to do? Empty Got myself into a pickle! What to do?

Post by seaecho Wed 8 Feb 2012 - 23:43

I made the mistake of looking at the poor bettas in the tiny jars at Petco, and fell in love with a cornflower blue with black face male. He's far from the most splendid betta in the world. He's also small (they all were). His body, less fins, is not much more than 1.5." He reminded me of the blue betta I had many years ago, that was much more attractive, with much longer fins, but still. . . . he was friendly, and came up to the side of the jar when he saw me, and followed my finger. They had Deltas, Halfmoon (already all sold) Crowntails, and this little Veiltail I just mentioned. They had at least 30 (most of them were red( but I can't get this little guy off my mind now.

I have a weird question. I have no tank, plants or supplies of any kind yet. There was a Aquedon 10 gallon for $49, included filter, but no heater. My question is; Can I buy him and keep him in a container with stress coat, and do daily water changes until I can get my new tank cycled? Or is there a high possibility of him dying in that time? Would he have a chance with a heater in the small tank? (It would probably be a Critter Keeper--I know, I know, but at least it would have a lid). Otherwise, if you guys think its a bad idea, I'll just have to wait until I get a tank and get it cycled. He would only be in the holding tank until his new tank was cycled.

seaecho
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Got myself into a pickle!  What to do? Empty Re: Got myself into a pickle! What to do?

Post by liz2 Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 8:49

I am afraid my heart over rules my head in these cases. I often bring a betta home without thinking it out! Most of my bettas are rescues(in that they were torn or tattered) and I think they would rather be in a critter keeper being looked after than dying in the pet shop. But that is me!
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Got myself into a pickle!  What to do? Empty Re: Got myself into a pickle! What to do?

Post by 2tall Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 18:19

Heat is an important factor too. You can keep him in any container, but I recommend at least a minimum of a gallon for a temp setup.
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by seaecho Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 3:14

Update for you guys. I put him in a one gallon cube thing because that's all they had at the LFS. Set up the 10 gallon, but couldn't keep him warm in the one gallon (our house is COOL at night to save on propane) so I just put him in the 10 gallon. So I'm cycling it with him in it. So far, so good. Master kit says PH is 7.6, Ammonia is .25ppm, Nitrites are zero, and Nitrates are 5.0ppm. The water is a little cloudy today, and hasn't been prior to this. I wonder why. I just tested the water today. Is this a normal part of cycling?

seaecho
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 4:20

Did you put gravel in and how well did you rinse it? That could be whats causing some of the cloudiness.
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by seaecho Tue 14 Feb 2012 - 4:07

Yes, I put gravel in. The girl at the LFS also gave me a small amount of gravel from one of their cycled tanks (and a small amount of their water). No, I didn't rinse the gravel! Didn't think about it. The cloudiness is now gone. Just went away on its own.

Since I last posted, I got two ghost shrimp, 2 albino corys and 2 mystery snails. The ammonia and nitrites are staying at the same level, and I've been testing it every day. Everyone is accounted for and doing well except for the smallest ghost shrimp. He has not showed himself at all today, and I suspect the betta ate him. Oh well, these things happen, I guess. I think the bigger one is too big for him to eat. I wish I'd only gotten 1 mystery snail. I didn't realize you can keep just one with no problem. I knew I needed more than one cory.

Haven't done a water change yet, but as soon as the ammonia starts going up, I will. I've had the tank set up for 3 days, and so far, no casualties (except for the shrimp). The betta is SO active and curious. He checks out the corys and bugs the snails. He flares at his leaf hammock too! What a character. I have the tank right around 79F and everyone is active. The snails are not really what I expected. I don't see them too often, and they don't crawl around much at all. Is this normal for mysteries?

seaecho
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum