Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Just Venting

5 posters

Go down

Just Venting Empty Just Venting

Post by Reese's_crew Fri 20 May 2011 - 13:45

I'm not sure if Wal Mart is also in the UK or not. Either way, they're the biggest department store chain in the US. They sell fish in their pet section. They're never well taken care of and it always bothers me. However, they've crossed the line in my opinion. They've started having a "Betta Facts" sheet hanging over where they sell the bettas. The sheet is full of misinformation, twisting of facts, and actually encourages people to keep bettas in the tiny little cups they're sold in. It actually says that bettas are happier in less water and that when you take them home, they're already provided with more than they actually need to survive and that they'll thrive in the cups they come in. I'm not exaggerating and if I can find a copy of this "Fact", sheet, I'll post it.

I'm really disgusted with Wal Mart and don't want to shop there anymore. The problem is, they're the only ones that have the stuff I need without driving long distances every single time I need something. I am going to send them an e-mail though, explaining everything that's wrong with this information and requesting these papers be taken down. I don't really expect anything, but I'll feel a little better if I at least do that.

Reese's_crew
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Just Venting Empty Re: Just Venting

Post by Better than Betta Fri 20 May 2011 - 15:10

Reese's_crew wrote:
I'm not sure if Wal Mart is also in the UK or not. Either way, they're the biggest department store chain in the US. They sell fish in their pet section. They're never well taken care of and it always bothers me. However, they've crossed the line in my opinion. They've started having a "Betta Facts" sheet hanging over where they sell the bettas. The sheet is full of misinformation, twisting of facts, and actually encourages people to keep bettas in the tiny little cups they're sold in. It actually says that bettas are happier in less water and that when you take them home, they're already provided with more than they actually need to survive and that they'll thrive in the cups they come in. I'm not exaggerating and if I can find a copy of this "Fact", sheet, I'll post it.

I'm really disgusted with Wal Mart and don't want to shop there anymore. The problem is, they're the only ones that have the stuff I need without driving long distances every single time I need something. I am going to send them an e-mail though, explaining everything that's wrong with this information and requesting these papers be taken down. I don't really expect anything, but I'll feel a little better if I at least do that.
We don't have Wal Mart here in Cairns Aust, thank goodness.....but some of our aquarium shops need to be re educated. I had one guy tell me that bettas live in puddles. Make sure you stipulate in your e-mail that fish regardless of their species 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water therefore dont house a fish in anything less than 2.5 gallons of water. good luck. thumbup
Better than Betta
Better than Betta
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Fri 20 May 2011 - 17:27

I heard rumors of Bettas living in small puddles too! Maybe when the rivers dry up and they have no other choice! I always tell the clerks they could live in a closet if they had to, but I'm sure they'd prefer more space.
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Sun 22 May 2011 - 15:43

The 'puddles' thing is just misinformation from 20+ years ago perpetuated by lazy people who don't want to care for their fish properly, disgusting abusive idiots who keep the fish for fighting, and fish shop owners who think they know everything because they've been in the business so long and spout this outdated garbage as fact.

In the wild, bettas live in slow-moving streams and rice paddies, which are only a few inches deep but cover a huge area. What annoys me about the whole betta trade is that people fail to realise that betta splendens as we know it in the West has never lived in the wild, it is a completely manmade genetic variant of a wild fish which is far more robust and does not have long, cumbersome fins. Domestic bettas probably coudn't cope if they were introduced into a natural environment - they are tank-bred, and need the same basic tank setup as any other pet fish - ie. room to swim, stable water conditions and to be well looked after by responsible and knowledgeable keepers.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish_Lass Sun 22 May 2011 - 16:06

You should write up your own betta fact sheet highlighting their misinformation and miseducation and send it off to that branch and head office. Nothing will probably be done but you'll have done your bit. Smile Its so frustrating but unfortunately it happens all the time.
Irish_Lass
Irish_Lass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum