Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

why are dalmatians so hard to find?

5 posters

Go down

why are dalmatians so hard to find? Empty why are dalmatians so hard to find?

Post by Luimeril Sun 12 Dec 2010 - 8:08

if this is the wrong place, sorry. >.> it's 3 am. xD

so, years ago, i got my first betta. a light orange dalmatian VT with blood-red spots. i did not know he was a dalmatian at the time, and i'd never seen one like him. got him, because he wasn't the normal red, blue, green, or mixture that was available at the time. his color was interesting, and i'd describe it as a "white-gold" color. his name was Zach, and he lived horribly. lived most of his life in a half-gallon bowl with few water changes. then, he lived in a one-gallon for a few years. finally, he was in a 10 gallon by himself, where he lived the last of his 3/4 years. i've never been able to find another like Zach at my lps, and only see dalmatians online, and never orange dalmatian VTs. i once saw an orange dalmatian HM, who looked almost identical to my Zachy, but he was over $30. >.>; HMPKs are another fin type i see orange dals in. only other orange dal VT i've seen, was at the same LPS about a week ago. but, i was broke. D: i wanted him SO BAD!

but, at any rate, getting off topic here!

why are dalmatians impossible to find at pet stores, and even with breeders? D: i see few, if any, dalmatians on Aquabid, and it bugs me a bit. i'm looking for my new Zach, and whenever i DO see dals, they're usually white and black or blue, not orange with red spots. D:
Luimeril
Luimeril
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

why are dalmatians so hard to find? Empty Re: why are dalmatians so hard to find?

Post by Nataliey Sun 12 Dec 2010 - 10:04

Thats very strange you asking this question as yesterday i went to my lfs AND they had a dalmation VT he had a pale orange peachy body with cellophane finnage with the blood red spots, i wanted him really bad but my other half said i shouldnt as all the fish iv bought from that shop have died in a week or 2. Sad
Nataliey
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

why are dalmatians so hard to find? Empty Re: why are dalmatians so hard to find?

Post by liz2 Sun 12 Dec 2010 - 14:01

you should still have got him, I love dalmations. i have one and am hoping the pink one is as well, but he is badly nibbled so hard to tell....xx
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixietina Sun 12 Dec 2010 - 18:39

The person who tutored me used to breed dalmation HM's theyre stunning, i see VT dals frequently down my end but im spoilt when it comes to betta choices :/
Pixietina
Pixietina
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Sun 12 Dec 2010 - 19:02

Pixietina wrote:The person who tutored me used to breed dalmation HM's theyre stunning, i see VT dals frequently down my end but im spoilt when it comes to betta choices :/

where do you live?
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixietina Sun 12 Dec 2010 - 19:06

stoke on trent Smile
Pixietina
Pixietina
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nataliey Sun 12 Dec 2010 - 20:37

liz2 wrote:you should still have got him, I love dalmations. i have one and am hoping the pink one is as well, but he is badly nibbled so hard to tell....xx

I know i should have but im trying not to think about him!
Nataliey
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Mon 13 Dec 2010 - 0:55

It's because the genetic variation only appeared in the mid-2000s, so basically it's the newest colour, there are fewer fish to be bred from so it's going to take a while for the genotype to proliferate.

They are very lovely though, I suspect we also might not see many of them because they're snapped up quickly if by chance they do appear in the shops.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Mon 13 Dec 2010 - 0:56

Oh BTW I'm pretty sure only orange with red spots is officially called Dalmatian, the blue/green etc. are just multicolour marbles.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixietina Mon 13 Dec 2010 - 2:52

yup as above Smile
Pixietina
Pixietina
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Luimeril Mon 13 Dec 2010 - 6:22

i've seen a white fella with black spots called dalmatian.

i NEVER see them. that little fella i saw a few weeks ago is the first i've seen since around 06. i adore them, but never see them. :< i know victoria from Bettysplendens had a orange strain of HMs going, but she's in Europe and not breeding. :< i might have to tell the fish guy at the pet store to either request some, or hold me one male the next time one comes in. x-x
Luimeril
Luimeril
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down