Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

At last, a pet shop that cares for bettas

+4
silverrabbit
Irish_Lass
2tall
SiennaBay
8 posters

Go down

At last, a pet shop that cares for bettas Empty At last, a pet shop that cares for bettas

Post by SiennaBay Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 0:06

I've read so much bad stuff about how people at pet shops neglect bettas I just had to tell you guys about my positive experience today. I went to a family run pet shop in a suburb of Chicago and they had the nicest betta set up I have ever seen!

This is the only shop I've ever been in where each and every betta container had spotless, crystal clear water. Not only that, but there was a heat lamp above each one. Each betta was in sort of a mini glass fishbowl and every one was active, swimming back & forth and flaring at their neighbors. They had about 18 at the time I was there. They even told me they clean the bettas' water daily. The guy who was helping me even said to me "You know these fish need a decent sized tank when you get them home, right?" I was so impressed! At all the other stores I went to, the bettas were just kind of laying around in a plastic cup, looking depressed, lots in dirty water. Not at this place! They have gorgeous, happy looking fish. All imported from Singapore. If only all pet stores could care so much about their fish. They'd sell more and the bettas would be healthier too.

A stunning pink betta with marbling on his face caught my eye and I bought him. He was flaring like crazy and seems to have a ton of personality. He has been very active ever since, eating well -- wow I am so happy! Not sure what tail type you'd call him. Will post pics after I get my new tank set up. Very Happy
SiennaBay
SiennaBay
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

At last, a pet shop that cares for bettas Empty Re: At last, a pet shop that cares for bettas

Post by 2tall Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 1:14

Hi! I'm so happy you found a nice lfs that takes care of their Bettas. I've found several lfs's that have
nice stockings and seem to really care about the Bettas. I also have seen a major difference in the larger chains as to the water conditions and the overall well being of the fish. Sometimes I've been known to
refer to the stores as Betta Mills and should clarify that not all stores deserve this title. Damn the ones
that do though!

It is so refreshing to find stores that obviously give their stock the extra considerations they require!

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new little fella!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

At last, a pet shop that cares for bettas Empty Re: At last, a pet shop that cares for bettas

Post by SiennaBay Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 2:02

Unfortunately the chain pet stores within reasonable distance of where I live (including the infamous Walmart) really don't take very good care of their bettas. And they rarely suggest suitable "housing" for their animals either! They never even ask if you know how to properly care for the pets you buy.
SiennaBay
SiennaBay
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 2:25

Unfortunately if they mentioned the housing requirements some people
would pass on the Bettas. A $5 fish suddenly turns into a $60 investment and/or more
depending on actual purchases. It would be nice if they were more upfront and coached
perspective new Betta keepers in reality!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish_Lass Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 9:33

That's great to hear SB. I hope you told the man how impressed you were with his set up! Smile It must be nice for him to hear good things about his business when he knows how others care for their bettas. Smile
Irish_Lass
Irish_Lass

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 10:50

That's great to hear Smile My fave LFS has proper heated, filtered betta barracks and it really is nice to see them being looked after
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 11:37

That's brilliant, first place I've heard of in the US that treats their bettas properly!
My LFS is great with theirs, 5 heated and gently filtered barracks and also a sorority with some lovely females in it :D

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 14:29

I'll have to give you that one Mutsu. I've never even seen an independent lfs that had heated barracks or a sorority of any sort where I live. Thats not the norm thats for sure.

To be honest I'm pleased when they do daily w/c's and transfer them into
any other vessel other than the plastic tea cups as I refer to them.

But, even with the heated barracks will they sell one of their Bettas with an
unheated bowl. If so what difference does it really make?

I wish we could all do something to raise the standards at the lfs's and the
awareness of the perspective new Betta keeper. I've discouraged a couple
of people from taking a Betta home in a bowl and talked one person into
upgrading to a larger betta tank at least. No heater though!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Luimeril Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 22:19

my lps does have bettas in cups, but most of the VTs get to swim around in the tanks with friendly fish. they have the fancier ones, like the HMs and such, in small bowls in back, where they can't be oogled and turned around like the CTs. the cups are almost always clean(unless the people i don't like are there. D:), and everyone's active and swimming. :3
Luimeril
Luimeril
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish_Lass Sat 9 Oct 2010 - 22:40

F.Banks - I understand where you're coming from. To be a good LFS its not enough to just look after the fish correctly while they're in the store. Its also important to send the fish home with customers than have been advised/educated properly.

I can remember going into a local LPS. The fish were all living in impressive tanks etc. I was getting my first betta. I asked the store manager for some betta pellets. He told me that bettas don't need pellets, that they'll do just as well on flakes etc. He would have sent me home with flakes for my betta if I hadn't researched and researched and researched beforehand. Just an example of how some shops can excell in one area and fall down in others.
Irish_Lass
Irish_Lass

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 15:10

I went into Walmart to get a couple things for a fish tank last night. Much to
my delight there were no Bettas! To top it off, the shelf where they used to keep the Bettas is now occupied with other items. Yaaaaaa!!!

One down, several to go! lol!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by SiennaBay Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 3:58

Yay! I don't think Walmarts in general should be selling any kind of fish at all. Even in the big tanks where the goldfish are, I always see tons of algae and sometimes dead fish. They are just not qualified to care for live animals. Mad
SiennaBay
SiennaBay
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 4:33

I don't want them tending to my dead ones either!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfishy Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 5:02

my dh happens to work at a big box pet store. and him and all his employees are kind caring people who do know and care for the animals they keep. however company policy rules and even if store managers and employee know better they sometimes have their hands tied when it comes to policy and caretaking. if you see things in a store, particulary a big box store talk to the manager, ask questions and best of all send letters to the company itself. employees complaining about animal houseing mean little to the bottom line of a company. customors complaining means a heck of a lot and can often change policy Smile
Newfishy
Newfishy

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 5:36

I do understand that the clerks hands are tied with politics and 99.9% of
them are very caring individuals. Sort of like don't shoot the messenger!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by SiennaBay Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 15:54

I have complained many, many times at the store manager and assistant managers at at closest Walmart store -- the one I go to the most -- and also another one in a neighboring town. That's where I got my Flame betta who was languishing in water so dirty I could barely see him. Guess what? Nothing changes. I talked to two guys working in the fish & pet area in that particular section of the store too. Does no good. I visited my local Walmart a couple days ago and they had five sorry looking bettas in about 1-1/2 inch of dirty water. Same as always. I am not kidding. To me, there is not even the slightest excuse for that. I don't see how "politics" or managers can prevent an employee from at least making sure there is clean water and no dead fish lying around in the tanks. Maybe your Walmarts are different but the people working the pet areas at mine are anything but "caring individuals". Does no good to a store's bottom line if you either rarely sell or kill your fish stock.
SiennaBay
SiennaBay
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfishy Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 16:00

notice i dident say walmart lol. also my point was store or even regional manager can have their hands tied or not give a hoot. a letter of complaint to the powers that be is much more effective thumbup
Newfishy
Newfishy

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish_Lass Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 19:01

Newfishy, in the past I have sent emails to the head office of a local pet store. I didn't realise until months later that the letter had actually made a difference. Smile
Irish_Lass
Irish_Lass

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfishy Thu 21 Oct 2010 - 1:50

thats great lass!
Newfishy
Newfishy

Back to top Go down

Post by SiennaBay Thu 21 Oct 2010 - 6:02

I'll be sending a letter to the Walmart corporate office. There are 2 Walmarts in my area that are equally awful when it comes to taking care of the bettas. I was just in the "other" Walmart today and it literally made me sick to my stomach looking at the bettas. Some had very obvious health problems (sitting on tail, big growth on side) and one was just a step away from being dead. Poor thing -- living in yellow water. Another beautiful purple one actually had a big hole in his top fin. I attribute all of the above to the dirty water they are forced to exist in. A simple water change at least every other day would have done wonders. I only wish I could save them all.
SiennaBay
SiennaBay
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Time-Out Thu 21 Oct 2010 - 10:41

I reported an aquatics shop to both the RSPCA and Trading Standards the other day. You must have some sort of anti-cruelty organisation in the states, no? Try PETA, maybe.

Time-Out
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down