Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

bought a tank today :)

4 posters

Go down

bought a tank today :)  Empty bought a tank today :)

Post by elliriyanna Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 16:38

I have been wanting a Betta so bad. So today I picked up a one gallon with an undergravel filter, light, and aerator. I also have betta food and water conditioner and bacteria supplements and Melafix and a brine shrimp net cuz it hurts them less.

My first question is is this tank big enough for a single male to roam alone? With some plants and gravel added? ( And a small heater)

Second do I need anything else for him? ( I think I have everything I just wanna check)

Last of all ... How long do I have to wait to put him in it with this filtration system? I'm use to traditional systems
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

bought a tank today :)  Empty Re: bought a tank today :)

Post by kizno1 Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 16:56

IMO 1G is to small for a betta or any fish really. Bettas need a 3G min but 5 is alot better. You will struggle to heat and filter a 1G I dout they will evan fit in there which means daily 90% WC to keep good quality water But imo that will just stress the betta. Have a look on ebay and aquarium classified and see if you can pick up a cheap 3-5G tank. You could plant the tank and put some snails in it but thats about it reallt
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 17:12

I have a ten gallon they will be moved to. And I know a betta who lived 5 years in a bowl without proper care and I'm gonna take care of him. I can't buy another tank.
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 18:17

Just because they can live in it doesnt mean there can thrive and be healthy in it. IMO anything under 3G is to small for a betta. Bettas get what 2-3" long not including tail and you want to keep it in a 1G i wouldnt evan recommend fish like galaxy rasbora which only get 1" long for a 1g. Theres no other 3" fish that people would keep in a 1G bt yet people think its fine because they live in puddles in the wild which they dont because there hybrids that have been breed for the tail and the aggression. Evan the wild ones only live in puddles for a few months and the rest of the year they live in 1000s of gallons of water. Plus they can live in the puddles for a few months but they can thrive in that for a year.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 20:18

He is going to be moved into my ten gallon and then maybe I could put two ADF's or some small fully aquatic amphibian or maybe my two guppies. ( They are half an inch each) and some bettas are easily happy one I saw was making a bubble nest in his cup. And I know a divided ten gallon would be great or letting him have the whole tank to himself. The one gallon is a temp set up. It will be the proper temp and water changes aren't a problem. Plus its not like I'm sticking him in a bowl with no air no water changes or worse buying a betta and plant set up.
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 20:25

If its only for a few week then it might be ok but i wouldnt keep it in one for any longer than that. Just because it was making a bubble nest doesnt mean it was thriving/healthy i had a betta that was swimming upside down half the time but he still made a bubble nest and the main reason the water isnt to bad in the cups is because most LFS will starve the fish so they dont make as much waste so just because they can survive in a cup for a few days doesnt mean they can live like that for life.

its not like I'm sticking him in a bowl

IMO 1G is a tiny bowl evan a 30L storage tub would be a better option and they only cost £3-4.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 20:43

He's going in a ten gallon. And I can't have a storage tub. He'll be fine. I'll put him in the ten gallon as soon as the ammonia stabilizes at zero ... Which should be soon
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 20:45

Surly he would be better in the 10G than the 1G. If you are doing a fish in cycle in the 1G surly it would be better to put him in the 10G and do it in there it will take just as long but then the water levels should be more stable and there is more water to dilute the ammonia.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 21:29

the cycle is almost established in that tank and those fish when i bought them were sick so putting another fish in would be worse than properly caring for him in a one gallon. bettas can thrive in a one gallon if properly taken care of most just arent willing to put in the effort( Not arguing that the ten gallon would be so much better I just did a little research)
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 21:43

I have a c/t in a 2.5gl. hex and I've been pressing myself to either my 10gl. or invest $50.00 in the equipment to finish of a 5gl. tank. Believe me when I say I understand about the money!. I've been looking for a used tank and when the timings right I will get at least a 10 or 20gl.. Even if the filter or heater isn't the what you prefer you can update as money permits Then you some backup if something fails!

A friend gave me a 1 or 1.5 gl. Betta tank and all I consider it good for is either
an ICU or for raising live brine shrimp a few at a time for fish food! Don't mean to sound harsh but the general concensus around here is 5us gls.= 4 uk gls or 19 L roughly. Happier fish= healthier fish!

I feel guilty having one of my boys in only 2.5 us gls. and is only temporary
until I divide or cycle a larger tank. Please try for both of you!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 21:50

as soon as my other tank is free you have my word that i will move him into it Smile For now that is not an option though. I take VERY good care of my pets so he will be fine Smile I will keep the one gallon as an ICU Smile I have a 1/2 gallon bowl for brine shrimp raising.
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Mon 2 Aug 2010 - 2:06

Like I said I do understand as things fell through work wise for me. Things will pick up soon for everybody I hope. I'm sure you do take good care and are very attentive to your pets!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Mon 2 Aug 2010 - 14:40

just a little say on the subject of tank sizes. What about when folks have divided tanks? The bettas dont have much room then and there is the risk of disease? I am sure elliriyanna will take excellent care of a betta...xx
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Fri 6 Aug 2010 - 13:53

Thanks guys Smile I just have to get the tank up and cycling Smile as soon as my first tank establishes ...

I have my eye on a crowntail at the LFS Smile He's so pretty Smile But I hate seeing them in the tiny cups they keep them in Sad
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum