Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Ok, so I gave in

+5
Wilsonnw8
silverrabbit
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
flip
Skunk
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ok, so I gave in Empty Ok, so I gave in

Post by Skunk Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 16:39

Oops! Love

I went to a new lfs (that I hadn't been to before) and they have such a beautiful range of fish in there. I got talking to the guy there, and told him of my current fishless cycling tank of 17L, intended for a male fighter in the next few weeks. I ended up coming out with 2 more plants (had 5 already) and a pair of platties (not sure which type, they are black on the top, and yellow underneath)

They're currently resting on the top of the water and acclimatizing. I also bought a master test kit (API Freshwater Master Test Kit) there, and to be completely honest, I'm quite excited about this minature chemistry set, takes me back to year 7 chemistry :D

Just done some tests.

My pH is 7.6 - which is at the end of the scale, so I did the
high range pH - and that came out as a very faint red, so around 8.1?
Ammonia is 1.5ppm
Nitrite is really hot pink coloured, so? 5.0ppm plus? o.o
Nitrate is a blood red, so, around 80ppm?

Will the platties be ok with this?

Lexxi x
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Ok, so I gave in Empty Re: Ok, so I gave in

Post by flip Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 18:48

i wouldnt put them in that, do you have a different tank that is cycled you can keep them in? those kind of levels are more than likely going to kill the platties. if not i would take them beck to the store and wait till the tank is done cycling. sorry to give you bad news, but you are showing the nitrite so your cycle is at least going, not sure why you have ammonia though. maybe someone else will have an answer for that!
flip
flip
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 19:06

currently have them in water that was in their bag, and being heated from a very cool aga top. Don't know what to do over night o.o was told by him that it'd be ok, also, its 7pm here on a sunday, so shop is shut Sad *is angry at herself for being impatient >>*

checking what the levels of the water that they were in:
Ammonia: 0.5ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 100ppm

hmm Sad
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 19:28

Ok, just done another chem check on my tank, after a full water change. Levels seem acceptable, not great, but ok, 0.25ppm Ammonia, 0.5ish ppm Nitrite and 30ppm Nitrate.

Just waiting for water to get back up to 26C before i try to acclimitise them again Sad current temp of tank is 15C
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 20:16

you are going to have to do daily water changes of at least 50% if you do put in the fish and keep a very close eye on the water stats!! oh and dont worry you are not the only one who has gotten impatient! im amazed that my first fish ever made it, before i knew about cycling i put 3 goldfish in a 20g tank. they all were over a year old when i rehomed them. then i learned about the cycling and im sure my fish are much happier now! we all make mistakes! at least you are trying to fix it!! thumbup
flip
flip
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 21:36

Everything seems good, heater is on 27C, had them acclimatise to the water over an hour and slowly released them. Fed them, and the ate straight away and were alert, so glad the hours of being in a bag hasn't affected them too badly. Just done some water stats and everything is within acceptable levels, will continue to do 50% water changes every day. Poor lil tykes, hopefully they'll be ok, seem ok now, but I know that they can have a sudden change. Don't want to name them yet in case I jinx it Shocked

*strokes tank lovingly*
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 22:28

The ammonia and nitrIte are going to creep back up. Its gonna need big water changes every day now, and possibly increase the time it takes to cycle the filter. This is because the water needs changing to help the fish, but that takes the ammonia away from the filter which it needs to cycle.

I dont know who said that two Platties would be ok with a male betta in a 17L tank, but its not the best idea:(
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 22:39

Oh! My local lfs, well, its a Water Garden Centre, with a really great tropical section. Guy there said he'd be ok with them, hmmm, will have to delay getting a betta then, until I get my community tank so they can move in there, or something else. Wasn't the best move was it? Sad *tries to be patient*

Just checked on them and they seem to be doing ok, nice and active and eating, will do a 50% water change daily and tests. All tests seem good too, not great, but acceptable, (0.25ppm Ammonia, 0.25ppm Nitrite, 30ppm Nitrate) and water temp is very slowly creeping up to 26C, 25C atm.
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 23:34

Best words of advice: NEVER listen to what the LFS people say thumbup

Platies need to be kept at least 2 females to 1 male other wise the female will be constantly hassled. They also need much more room that 17l, that advice he gave was awful No
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 23:42

Eep, I feel so bad having done this to those fishies Sad

He said I should just get two as the cycle was new, and eugh Sad *sad*

What would be the best course of action?
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 0:32

TBH I would take them back unfortunately. They won't be able to live in that size tank with a betta. They really need a tank of about 10gals min as they are really active.

It's not your fault, trust me when I say we've all had something similar happen to us Smile
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 0:35

Hmm, what if I just use it as a tank for themselves and get another platy to even out the advances from the male?
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 0:53

As I say, they need about 10gals minimum for tank size, 17litres will make them really unhappy No
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 1:00

Aww nuts Sad Not even as a temp home? Looking for larger tank possibilities at the mo, guessing it won't matter to the filter if I move everything, including water, etc into a larger tank?
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 1:01

... *feels really silly* I know it happens to us all, but I was being really good, only went in for a test kit. Stupid sales guy >>
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 1:18

It's easy to get sucked in when they tell us "it's fine". They should all be slapped for the bad advice they give out. I guess as a temp home it'd be ok, but you'd have to keep up with regular water changes (2-3 times per week) because the waste produced will mean your water levels will go nuts during cycling. Not sure if the filter will really be able to cope with 3 platies, they do poop a fair bit!
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 8:53

I'm going to ring the lfs and see about taking them back, very annoyed at them, gonna stick to my usual lfs as they've given me nothing but good advice. Just not fair on the poor little fishies Sad Levels are staying the same, but I don't think they'd change much over night, they seem to be doing ok.
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 11:55

I take it you dont have another fish tank? or any kind of filter media ? is this your first tank? how annoying that the shop guy gave you bad advice ruins the fun a bit! but be patient and you'll have fishie's in no time! gives you time to think about what you really want Smile
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 14:09

Yeh, it's my first tank Love Originally just for a male betta, but he said they'd be fine with two platties, should've known betta..haha Whistling Took them back today and got a credit note, hopefully the 100% water change hasn't affected the cycle too much. Ammonia was pretty low 0-0.25ppm and Nitrite was higher than yesterday, so hopefully!

Plans for a 100L tank, so get some platties then.
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 17:45

sorry this happened to you, lfs's are ussually just in it for the sale. the more fish that die on you the more money they make from you buying new fish. its sad but at least they took them back for you. you will be able to get some fishies before you know it! it is an addicting hobby to have, trust me. i started with a 20g now i have 5 tanks! lol! from a 2g to a 70g. and im always on the lookout for more!
flip
flip
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 18:34

:D yeh, i think the guys ideas are based towards selling more as he said that he has had a male and a female pair in a 20Ltr tank just fine. Hmm, oh well, tank nitrites levels are high, so seems it's going well, and will be getting a male in a month so :D
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 13:43

Hope your cycle goes well and you can get your betta soon Smile
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunk Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 15:27

Thanks!
Skunk
Skunk
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Moonlily Wed 16 Jun 2010 - 9:00

Guess it's common practice for some shop owners to try to get more fish in your tank sine that's more sales for them. And they hope as you slowly lose fish you come in and buy more.
Dreaming Moonlily
Dreaming Moonlily
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake15 Mon 25 Oct 2010 - 15:19

silverrabbit wrote:Best words of advice: NEVER listen to what the LFS people say thumbup

Platies need to be kept at least 2 females to 1 male other wise the female will be constantly hassled. They also need much more room that 17l, that advice he gave was awful No
I wouldn't say that completely. I'd say I'm a good LFS worker and have helped quite a few people with stocking ect! But do take everything with a pinch of salt though, the shop (well, any good ones) don't have strict 'you've got to say this' rules and the advice given is from the person, not the store. Very Happy

One bloke came in before and wouldn't have it that his Angelfish could potentially eat his Dwarf puffers in the future, or the DPs hurt them. Let alone them having completely different WC needs! Apparently a forum recommends this stocking Shocked
Jake15
Jake15
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum