Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Su

3 posters

Go down

Su Empty Su

Post by SheenaShoup Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 6:08

Can anyone tell me how big su will get? I got him fromm one of the feeder tanks a while back before Herby died, maybe 4 mos. He is aproximatly 3/4 to 1" long right now almost triple the size when we got him and he is a sturdy little man, just would like to know if he's going to get any bigger? Thanks! Very Happy
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Su Empty Re: Su

Post by kizno1 Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 18:16

im guessing its a guppy? it will get to about 1" in legnth without its tail. the legnth of its tail will depende on the type of guppy.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 18:53

Yeah, sorry, he's a clear silvery looking guppy and even when he was little he was shaped different than the neon feeders. Kind of big chested. I'll try to get pics, but he is quick! shoulda called him zoom zoom! rofl
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 18:57

lol if you cant have a look on google but it should grow to about 1"
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 19:03

I tried every way of asking last night and kept being sent to places they were sizing feeder gold fish, how do you confuse feeder guppies with feeder gold fish? tantrum
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 19:05

most of them dont have a clue. same as one person at my lfs ssaid corys will get 15cm long and kill everythink in my 30g but would of happily sold be 20 odd goldfish.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 19:08

Shocked where would 20 fit when they got big? Shocked
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 19:12

thats what i mean they dont have a clue they think they stay the size they sell them at wich is about 3"
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 4:08

Embarassed Uh oh, guess what? Su is not a boy! Embarassed And there is a gravid spot! I was sure she was a he, but now the she's bigger I was looking at photos and then her and noticed she did not have the sword, but the triangle! pullhair I feel fro her, cuz I got no way to take care of feeder/flashy fry! Sad No
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 14:11

It's very easy to take care of the fry... when she has them just net or cup them out of the tank (cupping might be better for small guppy fry, my platies were large enough to net) and you just leave them in with the parents in a breeding net/trap and feed them crushed flake. My platy fry are LOVING cyclops frozen food and grated bloodworms. Very Happy
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 17:23

Thanks SR, I will see if they have a breeding net at the lfs today. They should. littleangel
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 17:50

it will get a little bigger then if its females it will get to about 2inches without tail. do you have a male in the tank? i know guppys are normally pregnant when you buy them but if shes only just got her gravid spot theni dout she will be.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 20:50

I got Su about 4 mos ago, with Shi to help perk up Herby before I knew what was wrong and he died. Su did not have this spot until about 2 days ago, and yes there are 3 fancy guppies in tank with her, I bought a breeding box as they are out of the nets and I don't know length of pregnancy or anything, better to have the plastic box than nothing at all. I had to move all of the guppies together as last night Ric Flair turned on the two in with him and started munching tails. affraid They are in with Phinneus but just til I set up the small 3 gallon in the bathroom, I have to make room. I am 90% sure the babies, if she is preg will be her and Marvels, Marvel has been in with her and Phinneus for a while he is a double tail fancy with splotches of color on him.
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 20:56

how many males and females do you have? you need 2 females to ever male so they don harras them. i would try to breed her yet if he only just got the gravid spot she is young and if they get pregnant to early it can damage there growth and stop the babies from beign to healthy. the babies wont just be from one male if theres more than one male they will be a mix from all of them. the females can store sperm aswell so evan if theres no male for e6 months + they can still be having the males babies.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 21:08

Thought the gravid spot only shows when they are into their pregnancy?!

I think the pregnancy is anything from 4-6weeks, but they can hold onto the fry if they are stressed or anything.
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 21:11

no they have one all the time but it goes darker when pregnant. 4 weeks is about normal but if its hot it will be faster and if its cold it will take longer.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 21:17

I was not really looking to breed, I just found out she is fem and don't have a load of tanks, only the small tank from before w/ the crappy filter system and a bowl from back when Yin was alive. I only got Su and Shi to try to help Herby as I was told (before coming here) that might help, it did too, for about three days. I then told my honey to get a few guppie freinds for Su after Shi was gone and Shimmer, and Hellboy, he brought home fancy guppies, long drawn out story I know, I then went and got three feeder guppies, only they only had the neons and weren't carrying the kind Su was anymore due to an early frost or something from their suppliers. neons are all dead now, two died in the silk plants and one was never that healthy, then i had to save ric so guppies were split between the two set up tanks. Not exactly my choice to breed, I did not know Su would live this long when I bought her and I did not know Su was a she. Can't afford new set up right now, can try to keep the guppies in the bathroom in the 3 gallon, and ask lfs to order some heat tape,(heaters wont work in that tank, they are to big. pullhair
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 21:18

Gravid spot is black and pink! I believe from what I have read there is a 90% chance of babies
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 21:39

Yeah i'm pretty sure that once the gravid spot is very noticeable, babies are on their way. That's my personal experience anyway. When my platies were due their spot darkened and the hole opened more. Might not see that on a small guppy's behind though lol.

I'm not 100% positive, but i've heard that guppies can tolerate lower temps, so maybe if placed in a warmish room you wouldn't have to worry about heaters?

Nature will take it's course and by the time you find the fry, the adults may have eaten some!

ETA: Just read that the lowest acceptable temp is 23C/74F
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 22:16

That is why I was thinking the bathroom, it's the warmest room, in our bedroom, on the other side of it is the laundry room, no windows and I keep the lights on normally during the day cause it is the rotton long bulbs that take forever to turn on! Here's a pic of sue with Marvel from today
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And another one showing Marvel's tail
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 23:17

Is Sue the silvery little one? I'd say she has a while to go Smile
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 23:25

Yea, the little common feeder guppy, so she just got got, that's what I figured as the spot just appeared! Very Happy I guess I will have some interesting fry hu?
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 23:42

It'll be cute to see Very Happy
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 27 Mar 2010 - 12:10

silverrabbit wrote:Yeah i'm pretty sure that once the gravid spot is very noticeable, babies are on their way. That's my personal experience anyway. When my platies were due their spot darkened and the hole opened more. Might not see that on a small guppy's behind though lol.

I'm not 100% positive, but i've heard that guppies can tolerate lower temps, so maybe if placed in a warmish room you wouldn't have to worry about heaters?

Nature will take it's course and by the time you find the fry, the adults may have eaten some!

ETA: Just read that the lowest acceptable temp is 23C/74F

they will do fine anywhere between 15 - 28c but at 15 they will take 2+ months to have babies and at 28c it will be less than a month. they babies will be alot healthing at about 18c because they have longer to develop.

SheenaShoup wrote:That is why I was thinking the bathroom, it's the warmest room, in our bedroom, on the other side of it is the laundry room, no windows and I keep the lights on normally during the day cause it is the rotton long bulbs that take forever to turn on! Here's a pic of sue with Marvel from today

And another one showing Marvel's tail
thats defiently a female but looks a little to small to breed yet. the other 2 are males. you neeed to get a few more females because you need 2 females to every male.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum