Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Cat Owners help?

+4
SheenaShoup
Netty
flip
lilacamy931
8 posters

Go down

Cat Owners help? Empty Cat Owners help?

Post by lilacamy931 Sun 21 Mar 2010 - 10:00

Thought I would put this separately. We have Shilo and Pixiie and have raised them as house cats from when they were 8 weeks old. They are now blimey 8 months old now. Me and Alex would dearly love to add a third baby(kitten) to our lives but unsure how these two would react have you any tips for us? We got these two from a random litter locally (and glad we did as they have turned out gorgeous) but our third we would love to get a Scottish Fold. Believe the folds temperaments are docile but any tips be great (im pretty much first time cat owner with these two so learning every day!)
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Cat Owners help? Empty Re: Cat Owners help?

Post by flip Sun 21 Mar 2010 - 13:33

anytime i have added a new kitten the cat i have get mad and sulk. of course they always get over it in a couple of weeks and once the kitten was bigger they got on much better.just make sure you keep an eye on them at first in case the little one starts annoying Shilo and Pixiie, and then take it away from them. as long as they have space and a little time they should be alright. Very Happy
flip
flip
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Sun 21 Mar 2010 - 19:25

Hopefully your two are still young enough to accept a new one.

When Van and me got married we had to merge two packs of dogs. My 4 and his two. Most were ok but we both had very dominant bitches that wouldn't tolerate each other. We used a crate for weeks with Van's terrier so that both bitches could sniff each other and get used to each other without any fighting. They still don't like each other but tolerate each other in the same room and just keep out of each others way and we've never had a problem. Might be worth trying a small crate for the newcomer and let him/her out for short periods and then keep increasing the time out until they are all used to each other.
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Sun 21 Mar 2010 - 20:53

With bringing in a new cat it is best to introduce slowly. What we did with both Phaed and Leelu is first brought in cat in carrier, brought other cats into room to smell container, after they all check out the container, we put cats in other room and opened container. It's best to not press them together right away, let the house cats hide or sulk in other room, let new cat explore in other rooms. A little catnip helps to calm everyone. Usually they will work it out themselves slowly, my cats sulked for 4 days before starting to come out and socialize watch how they interact together for the first few weeks as they can be very aggresive at times and may need more time to get used to each other. I would keep a water spray bottle handy in case of fights, this doesn't hurt the animals, but stops the behavior. Cats are not good with crates, mine know they usually mean car rides and vet and so I don't know how well the crate idea will work, they usually will stay out of each others ways. Over the next few week you will notice some hissing or growling but this is assertion of their territory, and usually after the first two weeks, nothing to worry over, they won't truely be catfights after that long, just warnings. With 8 month olds they usually won't be agressive, but playful and want to play, how old is the one your thinking of bringing in? try to keep it in the same range as if the new cat is old, they won't get on very well. anywhere from 6 mos to 2 years old would be fine. At 5 and 6 years, they are not so playful and the kittens will drive them crazy. I have had cats all my life and introduced many cats, this is what I have found to be true. Kitten should do well, should not be too much fighting or growling, especially as the other two ar still so young! Good luck!
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Mar 2010 - 21:33

I personally have never used the introduce slowly method. I just feel this prolongs issues etc. Plus my cats would get even mader if they knew there was another cat in the house and we were giving it attention away from them. Saying this I am home 24/7 and wouldn't introduce another cat unless I knew I was going to be around to sort out any issues.

I have 6 cats at present and had many in and out with rescuing until I've found them permanent homes. I let them sort it out for themselves. Normally your newest addition will hide away or sit close to you. When the other cats go near I find they hiss a lot etc. This always calms down given a week or 2 and normallity resumes.

None of mine are related and they all cuddle up and play together now. The youngest being 1 and a half the oldest 13.

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Sun 21 Mar 2010 - 23:21

Thanks so much for the help and advice guys, that had been fantastic! Will take this all on board and see where we go Wink Of course any new addition will be followed by pictures xx
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Mon 22 Mar 2010 - 0:51

Definately want pics! bounce Love
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Mon 22 Mar 2010 - 20:58

Hope it all goes smoothly!
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Mon 22 Mar 2010 - 21:00

Thanks guys, unsure how likely it is going to be but I would dearly love a munchkin or a scottish fold x
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Mon 22 Mar 2010 - 21:03

Munchkins! I saw them on that cat programme that Joanna Lumley did Very Happy
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Mon 22 Mar 2010 - 21:07

We totally missed that and really wished we had watched it, there is also the rare munchkin scottish fold which is far too super cute!!!
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Mon 22 Mar 2010 - 21:30

I think you can get/rent it on DVD actually - it was such an amazing documentary!!!

The munchkin scottish fold sounds adorable!
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Haych Tue 23 Mar 2010 - 22:23

I think adding them into the house and leaving them to their own is best.

You have to let the existing boss show the new guy who IS boss though (within reason obviously)

whenever I have had a new kitten, the first thing I do is take it out of the cat box and put it straight into the litter tray - that way when it walks away it can follow the smell back.

I also think its best to leave everyone to settle down and let them do their bit Smile

if you do decide to get a new kitten, I deffo want pics!
Haych
Haych
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 10:45

Thanks so much for all the amazing help. Im just trying to decide whetehr to or not and more so convince my beloved we could do with a third! (especially as the two have been REALLY naughty the last two days Wink)
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 12:23

I dont know if it helps but when we got our cat a while ago we introduced more cat nip and you can also get plug in stress relief things for cats they emit a relaxing smell that keeps everyone calm, might be worth it, seemed to work well for me bit like lavender for humans I suppose
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 13:13

Great idea hon thumbup hmmmm i should carry lavender around with me and plant on people lol!
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfishy Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 15:16

chicken pecking order is actualy very very similar to dog pack order and pretty close to cats, well as close to order as one gets with cats lol. what we do to intergrate groups is to place one in a pen were the others can see smell and get to know each other. after about 2-3 weeks then everyone gets to go in the back yard to play together. if any fights or even picking starts both offenders get sprayed with the hoze and then seperated. it takes chickens with the brain the size of a pea less then a week of watched play time to learn the rules. the point you want to get across is that you the human are the top dog, top chicken, top cat and you control all activitys and who picks on who.

I would do the same with the cats, except use a spray water bottle in the house.
Newfishy
Newfishy

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 15:57

lol! could just imagine using a hose around my living room! I certainly try to be top cat with our two Wink
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by SheenaShoup Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 16:58

As I said, we use the spray bottles they sell in the hairstyle product sections, one or two sprays and they quit the bad behavior. I agree with Tilly, catnip helps and Newfishy on the bringing in in a carrier and allowing the others to smell first, in fact, this is what was recommened by the people at the pound. Very Happy
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum