Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Finch

4 posters

Go down

Finch Empty Finch

Post by liz2 Thu 14 Jan 2010 - 21:03

I never told you about my new bird I got just before Christmas! I already have a canary, had him for 12 months, he had stopped singing and was looking a bit mopey. So on the advice of the pet shop I got a finch to put in with him. All was well over Christmas and then I noticed the canary giving him mean looks, and then he started attacking him. The canary is really large, twice the size of the finch. I put a wanted advert on our local freecycle and someone had a cage they no longer wanted. So the finch is now in a really big cage and the canary is by himself . I do get myself in some pickles with animals. x
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Finch Empty Re: Finch

Post by Netty Thu 14 Jan 2010 - 21:27

Oh the joys of trying to keep animals together. They just like to make life so much more difficult for us.

Freecycle is a great place. At least he's not getting picked on by yellow big bird lol Where are the pics though?
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath J Thu 14 Jan 2010 - 21:49

I keep finches and canaries together and have no problems, it may have been that the canary had established a territory and therefore wanted nothing to do with the finch. However you should try to get 1 more finch to go with the other one as finches are very sociable animals. Do you know what the finch is? If you put a photo on i could tell you and maybe what sex it is?
Nath J
Nath J
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Thu 14 Jan 2010 - 21:57

tee hee Nath tis a zebra finch, and a friend of mine has some babies going to get one of those. Now about finches, 10 years ago I did an avon round and I went in a ladys house and she had a shoe box on the table with holes in it. said what is in there? she said some sort of finch, do you want it it flew in my kitchen. Anyway I took it home it was a lovely male zebra, I got it a friend. They nested in their seed tray and had one baby. They they had another 5 eggs which all hatched. So I had 4 males and 4 females, and they paired up and used to sit with their mate, and no one else. We made a 4 foot cage which lived in the spare bedroom. When they laid eggs I removed them. Over the next 8 years they died one by one, and 2 years ago I was left with one male and one female. The female was really tatty but the male went first, she sat with his dead body and kept pushing him, really sad. I then moved my budgie into the spare room so she could at least have the company of a bird. She used to whistle at me first thing in the morning when I went past the spare bedroom one morning she didnt. She must have been almost 9 years old.
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath J Thu 14 Jan 2010 - 21:59

Haha sounds like my bird room LOL always something going on in there Smile
Nath J
Nath J
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Haych Thu 14 Jan 2010 - 22:10

wow a 9 year old finch is good going!

It is amazing how finch's pair up. I used to have some, but my cat managed to pull one through the cage bars and all we found was a leg Sad

They were never as happy again (I had three) so I had to rehome them as they were so scared of the cats.

I love finches though, the little "meh" noise they make!
Haych
Haych
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Thu 14 Jan 2010 - 22:14

all the 4 males had a different tune, I could recognise which was which. Dunno whether to get a male or female to go with smurfy.
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum