Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

cocker spaniel or cavalier king charles spaniel

5 posters

Go down

cocker spaniel or cavalier king charles spaniel Empty cocker spaniel or cavalier king charles spaniel

Post by The young one Wed 25 Nov 2009 - 19:51

Ello, well I'm allowed a dog for my birthday after 2 years of asking! :D

I'm either going for a cocker spaniel or a cavalier king charles spaniel, if anybody has had experience with either of these breeds or knows some good websites with information could you please tell me.

Also which breed would you recommend?
If I got a cocker spaniel it would be a show type not a working type.

Thanks
Joe

The young one
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

cocker spaniel or cavalier king charles spaniel Empty Re: cocker spaniel or cavalier king charles spaniel

Post by Netty Wed 25 Nov 2009 - 20:48

Personally I'd go for the Cocker Spaniel. The King Charles Spaniel has been so overbred and lot are suffering because of it with smaller skulls that end up squashing their brain and causing horrendous problems like fitting and neurological problems.

Have a look on the Kennel Club site. You should be able to find info on there of both breeds and google search forums too. They would be the best place to start.
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

cocker spaniel or cavalier king charles spaniel Empty Re: cocker spaniel or cavalier king charles spaniel

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Wed 25 Nov 2009 - 22:57

Yeh, agree. I wouldn't have a Cavalier either. I dont know whether you saw the documentary about dog breeding and the Kennel Club, but as a direct result of that programme, the BBC, Pedigree Pet foods and other big organisations pulled out of Crufts.
A Cocker is a working breed, so will need lots of "work" to avoid issues. Work can be as simple as using a canvas dog throw (like a toy) and throwing it in bushes and long grass for the dog to find. Also a Cocker spaniels natural instincts are to work away from the owner, which requires them to fairly headstrong. As such, proper and consistant training needs to start young.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Wed 25 Nov 2009 - 23:18

Id go with a cocker, Ive had cockers all my life both working and show (working are way too highly strung to be pets they need to be worked) show cockers in my experience are lovely little chilled out things I would go for a show cocker over a cavalier hands down!
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by The young one Thu 26 Nov 2009 - 19:56

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going with a working cocker spaniel. My mate has just got a chocolate working one and his aunt owns a farm and does hunting, so she's going on beats with his.

She said that she would go on beats with mine aswell if I wanted, so definately gunna get a worker. Also I live in the countryside so lots of fields to run around in.

The young one
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by mrpippoodle Sun 29 Nov 2009 - 19:33

You could check the rescue sites there are lots of cockers with excellent temperaments for adoption from farm homes that have had to give up the farm and now the dogs have no home , also due to the recession a lot of owners have given up their dogs due to changes in circumstances .
Sarah is looking for a poodle/poodle cross rescue for mother in law at the moment and have seen 100's of other breeds of dogs needing forever homes through no fault of their own .

mrpippoodle
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down