Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Plecos and Corys? Oh My!

4 posters

Go down

Plecos and Corys? Oh My! Empty Plecos and Corys? Oh My!

Post by lilacamy931 Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 22:07

Hey guys can I have some recommendations?

I am looking to get a little help with my algae problems and also a bit more life in the tanks but need a little guidance as to whether anything will be suitable and at least can try out.

The compartments are 5UKgallons, have been looking at pygmy cories, pitbull plec (pippoodles suggestion to someone elsewhere keen to explore thumbup ) or nerite snails. I have 7 compartments so could experiment with some of each in each. But more concerned if 5UKgallons divided off is big enough especially if they need to be kept in groups.

Also if any are suitable do you substitute food in regularly?

Thanks guys, xxxxx
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Plecos and Corys? Oh My! Empty Re: Plecos and Corys? Oh My!

Post by Nath J Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 23:10

Corydoras need to be kept in groups of 3 or more, as for plecs you could try bulldog plec not sure on what size tank they need, or bristlenose but again not sure on the the size needed. Sorry to not be as helpful as i would of liked Sad
Nath J
Nath J
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 23:17

Hiya
Corys dont really eat the algae No I wouldn't personally have any kind of plec in 5g, plus as they mature they they dont really eat the algae either.
Certain types of shrimp may help, as will some snails. If the tank has been set-up for a while and has lots of natural growth, Otos are probably the best algae eaters you can get:) Problem is they would fast eat up all the available algae in 5g and then they sometimes die:(
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Fri 11 Sep 2009 - 1:28

pitbull plecs are the only ones i have found that are small enough for a smaller tank - they do continue to eat algae as they mature unlike most other plecs

they do need to be kept in groups though do well with just 2
they breed the same as corys

I found keeping Otos alive not the problem as long as you supplement feed them with algae wafers/pellets - they prefer easily dissolving pellets rather than the special long lasting varieties

But i have experienced my older otos occasionally sticking to the edge of a fish and having a such so now have them in with minnows , neons hb limias ,corys and plecs and they havent gone for any of them - have damaged one of my guppys , gouramis and bettas in the past

For hair algae - i find amano shrimps are excellent , other types of shrimp mainly go for the bulk standard green algae and the white film you sometimes get on bogwood

Apple and Nerite snails are excellent at eating most types of algae including brown but will avoid hair algae most of the time - pitbulls also eat brown algae but prefer most other kinds i'd say brown algae not their favourite

I know i'm sad lol - i just sit watching tanks for ages - got lots of snails , shrimps , plecs , corys and some otos aswell as lots of other fishies lol
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Fri 11 Sep 2009 - 7:34

Thanks sooooooo much guys! LOL all helpful input. Wink

It is mostly brown algae I have to combat so...perhaps nerites would be better (syaing that over apples as read somewhere they need 10g?). The otos also sound good as I have a very mature tank, I would supplement any food required for whichever was added to the tank so no problems there! I have more than one section so could try more than one, say section one nerite, two perhaps two pitbulls (if feel suitable space) and three otos?
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Fri 11 Sep 2009 - 9:28

i have apples in all my betta tanks and they still grow on well hun - my nerites are in the big tank , with more apples , ramshorns - normal and giant , MTS , porkupine and elephant snails - black head black shell , and yellow head black shell

just keep an eye on the otos as they can turn on the fish

advised tank for apples is 2-2.5 us gallons per snail but as i say they live happily enough in the divided sections of the tanks - i usually put my young (from 1cm) ones in the sections to grow on
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Sep 2009 - 12:42

I have a huge algae problem in the main boys tank especially hair algae. It's still there but much better after I added nerites. They are doing a grand job. I have apple snails too but they don't seem to do much algae eating LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Fri 11 Sep 2009 - 13:03

Ah brillo! Will see if the boys take to them, may try nerites in one and apples in another watch this space, also thinking of leaving the otos from your comments pip as really wouldnt want scarred fish or worse, we shall try snails and in my cube tank I am tempted to try some cherries for a bit of fun [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thank so much guys, really really appreciate, will see what we can get payday

p.s. pitbull plecs suitable 5 gallons? about 20 litres? xx
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 16 Sep 2009 - 19:25

Good news! Found some zebra nerite snails and trying 5 out at the moment! Should I be aware of myaxzin when snails are present? They sure are pretty Smile
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum