Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Fluval2 plus - little more help needed :)

3 posters

Go down

Fluval2 plus - little more help needed :) Empty Fluval2 plus - little more help needed :)

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 29 Jul 2009 - 20:14

Hi guys I have a fluval 2 plus which did great on the puffs but need to adapt for a divided tank and make sure doesnt blow them all over the place. Best way to add some tubing running over the tanks and puncture holes in the sides in each section?

Also with the dividers have about an inch space from top of divide adequate to try and stop jumpers getting to each other? Many thanks guys Smile

Last edited by lilacamy931 on Fri 31 Jul 2009 - 22:55; edited 1 time in total
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Fluval2 plus - little more help needed :) Empty Re: Fluval2 plus - little more help needed :)

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jul 2009 - 20:26

With the dividers we buy from Daz they have a metal holders for the top. We put the tubing through the gap on these to make it stay in place and each section has a small hole in it. If you tank is big one of ours is 4ft in the middle you might get a problem where the tubing pulls back and tries to leak outside the tank. We used fishing line to pull the tubing forward onto the metal clip at the front here.

I have the dividers right to the top of the lid and about an inch and a half gap but one of my naughty boys did jump it No

Back to top Go down

Fluval2 plus - little more help needed :) Empty Re: Fluval2 plus - little more help needed :)

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Wed 29 Jul 2009 - 20:27

This is an example of one of my divided

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I stuffed some filter sponge in the end of the tube, and on this one i used a drill with a small drill bit (3mm) to make about 20 holes over the last 6" of the tube. I have used a hot nail before but there's not much difference. I cut grooves in the top of the dividers just big enough for the tube to sit in:)

An inch is possible to jump, so if you can drop the water level it would be better.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 29 Jul 2009 - 20:54

Ah right so bit of lower water level better then, no probs, that looks a lot like the filter I have. So lots of holes in the left hand end, are there only holes in the left end part and then the current flow progresses back to the filter?

Read elsewhere on having holes in the tubing in each of the compartments?

Thanks guys for helping! Try to ensure get the ratio and divides right!

The tank dimensions are 23" length, 11"1/2 width and 12"1/2 height. Two or three compartments?? was going to have similar setup to you Vandraco and assume best place for heater placement is the left hand end for the current to circulate water best?

Thanks again really really appreciate.
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Wed 29 Jul 2009 - 21:01

Hi
I've had the heater in the left and centre and it didn't really make any difference :D You can add holes to the middle section of tube if you like :D

In another divided i have, the homemade dividers aren't as sturdy as the penplax ones. When the filter is on all the dividers bend lol
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 29 Jul 2009 - 21:05

Ah so will have to be aware of that, I better get siphoning, get the tanks sparkly rearranged and try this tubing. Will post pics if dont mind for your professional opinon on changes that might needed to be made! Thanks so much Smile
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Wed 29 Jul 2009 - 21:44

mine is set up with a 2+ hun
here's what it's like when i have it for 3 males
now have it as a breeding tank so only 1 divider in there

The four sections

The heater and filter section - with indian almond leaves and shrimp

The filter tubing to circulate the water in the tank

pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Thu 30 Jul 2009 - 7:41

Ah knew seen yours before, but couldnt remember where!On your version do you have the filter current coming out only at the left hand end? Or have you supplied holes along the length?

The only tubing I have found is off one of my siphons that fits the fluval! Sacrifice time!!! LOL Have the one divide at the moment and was going to have a second and have the filter in one compartment and probably the heater in the middle one so it is spread out fair even stevens.

Right this is a BIG stupid question, notice on your fluval you have the plug in on the air top..I have the air attachment on and tbh as it has worked fine like this unsure what the difference is? What is the benefit of taking attachment off and having plug in? (Sorry confused Wink easily done )
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 30 Jul 2009 - 13:03

Hi
I dont think it will really matter, as with the reduced flow caused by adding the tube there will not be enough pressure to pull the air in :D
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Thu 30 Jul 2009 - 13:05

Ah so thinking of plugging that air thingy up and then can submerge or a little more. Thanks Vandraco Smile
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Fri 31 Jul 2009 - 14:52

Right so cleaned tank, took everything out and so far have this

The mini elite filter ignore in top left just keeping it alive and kicking for now, it will be removed.
The heater will be in middle compartment, have the two live plants in to keep them going, more plants are going in, just need to sort filter out first!You can see the tube running from right to left over the divide. Need to cut much shorter and drill the holes in the left hand side (about 10-20) Shall I see how this goes??? Or do I adapt more? Thanks so much guys!

Oh and have currently a 2 inch clear from top of the dividers to hopefully prevent jumpers a bit more!
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Fri 31 Jul 2009 - 22:52

Right my partner has helped, have sitting more nicely ontop of the dividers. For the end of the tube so far whatever we have tried hasnt helped with making holes as plastic closes up mostly again. Having this arrangement behind the house is this good enough? The current does not seem overly strong and worried wont filter as well? Any thoughts guys thanks soooo much!

Also trying to hold in place withthat sucker pad thing which doesnt stick so rethinking there..any thoughts are welcome.Am I over thinking, Should i allow the pipe to curve natural at the back of this segment?
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Fri 31 Jul 2009 - 23:39

That looks ok thumbup I wouldn't cut it much shorter if at all. I found that if cut just right, and making sure the tube twists in the direction i wanted it held itself in the back corner. Twist the tube at the filter outlet and you'll find it helps:)
You could put a piece of filter sponge in the end of the tube to diffuse the flow even more thumbup
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Sat 1 Aug 2009 - 7:50

okey dokey thanks vandraco, so good to go without the holes made? brillo thanks so much for the help!
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Sat 1 Aug 2009 - 20:10

what i did in one of my other tank is get a lighter really hot and with it seal one end of the tube - then cut small holes in the tube all the way along so i have a gentlespray bar running into all sections

i try all sorts lol
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Tue 4 Aug 2009 - 10:28

Just a quick question and whether need to be worried? The tube end that is in the water ejecting water has turned a milky colour, everything above the water is fine, when touching feels a little slimy, am I ok??? :shock: Little worried....
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Tue 4 Aug 2009 - 12:03

Mine does that too. When i do the monthly filter maintenance, i give the tube a clean in hot water.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Tue 4 Aug 2009 - 12:27

Thanks vandraco, that has eased my mind, as little worried Smile
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Wed 5 Aug 2009 - 0:08

they do go lovely and slimey feeling lol
ok i'm in an odd mood ignore me
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 5 Aug 2009 - 8:21

No probs, good odd I hope! Smile
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum