Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Tattooed?

+5
tropical girl
Wilsonnw8
Netty
Newfishy
xweeqtx
9 posters

Go down

Tattooed? Empty Tattooed?

Post by xweeqtx Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 20:56

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Me think so..

xweeqtx
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Tattooed? Empty Re: Tattooed?

Post by Newfishy Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 20:59

never seen something like that before
Newfishy
Newfishy

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 21:00

Mmmmmm I've often wondering about those and the armageddon ones too. It just doesn't seem possible to get that intense a patterning from breeding alone but then I could be wrong!!!!!
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 21:04

Im not sure, there is an increased interest in Japanese koi style bettas, and although those colours and markings are intense/unusual it might just be their line breeding skills, my imported male produced a "tancho betta" baby and I would not have thought it possible, a perfect red circle to the head
The latter fish has been made to look like a kohaku koi, with so much talk of the betta koi breeding projects it may well be natural
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by tropical girl Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 21:07

if thats the case they being tattooed its really awful
no better than injecting paints into them should be banned
i think anyway cruel!! tantrum
tropical girl
tropical girl
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 21:09

The second one looks more false than the first. I know breeders are playing with colours, but the markings look a little too perfect?? Also, and far worse is the fact the seller is advertising to ship directly to the EU by EMS which is totally illegal, and in all honesty Aquabid shouldn't allow people to get away with it!
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 21:11

I agree the second one does look suspiciously perfectly marked, but there is a chance its selective breeding for this Koi fashion. Direct shipping to the EU as you say should really be picked up on
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 21:14

I know, if you have an aquabid account ask the seller for pictures of the parents and siblings;)
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Etcetera Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 23:05

First one somehow seems feasible.. although red spotting is pretty uncommon. The second one with the spot on the top of the head seems just a little too good to be true, though. As for asking about the parents and sibs, good suggestion, but, if someone is willing to tattoo a betta for profit then you can be rather sure that he/she would have no problem doctoring up some image to get someone to buy his $250 fish. Also, if a marble gene is responsible for this, god knows what their parents may look like or what these two would turn into in a couple of months. I've had a marble turn from white to solid blue practically overnight.

Etcetera
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Mon 29 Jun 2009 - 23:30

My thinking was if they couldn't provide any further pictures then it would seem even more dodgy;) The other thing is that they do not put any kind of description?? If I had bred fish to that colour i would sure put that i have been breeding for this colour for x amount of years/generations etc...
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraFrog Tue 30 Jun 2009 - 11:59

I THINK they're both real...
I mean, so far we haven't invented a way to dye or tattoo fish fins, and quite a few of the markings, particularly on the first one, bleed into the fins. There is also extensive flecking into the fins. Also, if you look at the central picture, from above, the markings are seen as red colour on each individual scale. Dye sits under the scales, on the skin. The scales on a platinum betta are clear, so you would see the dye through the scales and it wouldn't be clipping off at exactly the edges of the scales if it had been injected. I'm not sure about laser tattooing. I doubt it, because it would destroy the fin rays and the branching on that fish is perfect. Photoshop is a possibility but I don't think so somehow.

The second one I'm not so sure. I'm inclined to say real because of the bleed into the anal fin, but I think there's a strong chance that it's been photoshopped. I don't think it's a mutilated fish, just a modified image. Have a look at the red and iridescent pearly blue flecks in the caudal and dorsal -or particularly, how they're present in some photos and absent in others, and migrate around the fins within the space of a few minutes in which these photos were probably taken. The colour is too flat, I can barely make out the scale edges at all in the middle of the top marking. I think it's suspicious how all the photos are zoomed out - it's easy to cover up photoshopping on a low resolution image. You could catch this one by requesting the original high resolution JPG images. If they look the same, then I'm wrong. If he's photoshopped them, then he'll either refuse to supply them (gotcha!) they'll look totally different (gotcha!) or they'll be obviously edited (gotcha!)

If anyone is seriously considering buying that fish I'd be a bit worried about the dark mass in one side of the abdomen though... looks frankly abnormal, and is visible only one one side (which is a major pointer that something isn't right.)

LauraFrog
Plakat
Plakat

http://bestfinforward.fh50.com

Back to top Go down

Post by razberrykisses Tue 30 Jun 2009 - 14:18

now that i am awake...those are photoshop babies. look at the color, doesnt it look a little to vibrant? especially the views from the top the shadows are poorly done. man i kinda feel sorry for the person who buys those because they will get majorly ripped off.

razberrykisses
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by xweeqtx Tue 30 Jun 2009 - 22:37

I think I'm inclined to say now that the first one is most likely to be real. Second one, photoshopped.

xweeqtx
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Wed 1 Jul 2009 - 3:15

If they have gone to the trouble of photoshopping one, then i'd be inclined to suspect both?
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfishy Wed 1 Jul 2009 - 3:46

really what do these sellers do when the buyers get the fish and its not the right one? if the buyers are smart and used paypal they could put a claim in and get their money back. just resulting in lots of drama for both partys.
Newfishy
Newfishy

Back to top Go down

Post by xweeqtx Wed 1 Jul 2009 - 8:39

Maybe the first has just been enhanced?. I don't understand the lines. Is that possible to create through genetics?

xweeqtx
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfishy Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:22

I just saw the exact same pic...same fish exact same pic on a reptuable betta site on their betta of the month page. seems to me that either some one is pulling the wool over some very experenced eyes or that fish are actualy real.
Newfishy
Newfishy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum