Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Article on Illegal importation of fish

+3
lilacamy931
liamg1285
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
7 posters

Go down

Article on Illegal importation of fish Empty Article on Illegal importation of fish

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Wed 24 Jun 2009 - 23:50

Hi
I thought i would post this article here, just in case anyone had ever considered buying from the likes of Aquabid. The UK no longer has a legal transhipper, so no seller should be sending fish to anyone other than import license holders. Importing fish illegally is very damaging to the fish business in general, and has probably accounted for the demise of some smaller establishments. The Authorities have recently indicated that they are going to be coming down hard on anyone caught :shock:

Any how, here's the article [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Article on Illegal importation of fish Empty Re: Article on Illegal importation of fish

Post by liamg1285 Fri 3 Jul 2009 - 10:19

thats a interesting read
liamg1285
liamg1285
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Article on Illegal importation of fish Empty Re: Article on Illegal importation of fish

Post by lilacamy931 Tue 28 Jul 2009 - 20:57

Ah that is really good to know as I have sure been tempted but heard of illegalities and would not want to get into trouble. Thank you!
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Sat 12 Dec 2009 - 2:47

It has come to light that there are a number of sellers in Asia who are willing to ship from aquabid without the use of a transhipper. Not only could they be prosecuted, but the buyer could face a massive fine too. If caught, the fish will normally be destroyed as they will not have the correct health certificates.

Apart from these legalities the illegal importation of fish, if it continues, could affect the UK markets. When we see what regulations are trying to be pushed through in the USA where it will be illegal to send fish across State lines, you can see that if the same happened here it would be an end to all fish entering the UK. Hopefully for the American fish keepers, this law will not be passed.

The legitimate UK importers pay fee's to allow them to import, and ensure the fish being imported are fully health checked. The health of the UK fish stocks are also put at risk by illegal imports too.

There are plenty of legal importers in the UK without risking the lives of fish and facing a criminal record along with a whopping fine.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Haych Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 22:47

so, let me try and get this right, CAN you still buy from aquabid AS LONG as you use an authorised transhipper?

i know someone who bought from aquabid and paid over £140 in postage/transhipping fees.

IMO this is way out of excessive fees, but, is that way still legal then?
Haych
Haych
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 22:54

If the transhipper is based in the UK then you can still buy from Aquabid using them as a middle man.

Not only is it costly buying this way but it also takes about 3-4 days for the fish to arrive in the UK so major stress but then has to be shipped out again to the buyer. It's not ideal for the Betta and many do die during shipping.
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Haych Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 23:04

yeah, the girl who did buy (i think used a german transhipper) had to wait a couple of weeks for them to arrive

this is one of the reasons my tank is still empty, i want bettas, but i dont want to pay through the nose for the poor fish that could die in transit, isnt based in the uk either.

i like good old home grown stuff!! (which is why betta_246 told me to come here)
Haych
Haych
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 23:12

The trouble is that alot of people are under the impression that using the German transhipper is ok but it's still illegal.

It's definately worth waiting for the right one. There are people around that import although most don't import over the winter as it's far too cold.

I got my first import from a place called SQBettas and had had a couple of stunners from him but unfortunately he no longer imports.

We also bought in 20 at cost through an importer but would never do that again. They were sickly, with bitten down fins and it took us 2- 3 months of hard work to get them all healthy enough to sell on.
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Haych Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 23:35

i was eyeing one up from someone called kelsonbettas, he wants around $100 / £50 for a beautiful crowntail, but apparently you and pipoodle breed them so i will wait patiently Very Happy
Haych
Haych
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 23:40

We're still trying with our pair at the moment and I'll give them a few more days but if no action then he'll go back to his permanent tank until sometime in the new year and then we'll try him again.

We only breed HMs thought but Crystal on here also has some lovely doubletail Bettas which are almost ready to go thumbup
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Haych Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 23:50

hmmmm.... may have a nosey.... wasnt going to have a DT as i didnt have the room, but i do now lol

HM are my fave Love

edited due to happy-finger-syndrome
Haych
Haych
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Haych Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 0:18

is there any pics/thread for the youngsters?
Haych
Haych
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 0:35

I think she has some in the section Spawning/Breeding Diaries but no recent ones of the males she has.
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Haych Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 22:05

i had a nose, is it just males she has? not too keen on PKDT but would love some PKDT females
Haych
Haych
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 22:48

No I think she has both male and female [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luimeril Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 19:18

woah. ._____. i'm in the US, but i don't buy from Aquabid. i have a few i'd have loved to have gotten, but importing and transshipping fees are horrid. Dx

i know a few breeders in the UK, found them on Youtube. i envy anyone in the UK, cause they breed beauties!
Luimeril
Luimeril
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by bettasforsale Mon 3 Jan 2011 - 16:07

Thank you for sharing that article to us! It means a lot! thumbup
bettasforsale
bettasforsale
Veiltail
Veiltail

http://www.bettasforsale.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum