Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

How to ship betta to Spain and Norway?

4 posters

Go down

How to ship betta to Spain and Norway? Empty How to ship betta to Spain and Norway?

Post by addict2betta Thu 2 Sep 2010 - 0:23

Hi everyone, i have some customers who live in Spain and Norway, they would like to purchase few betta from me but since i have never ship to those country before, does anyone have some suggestions??

I was thinking using Fedex but it is so expensive unless they dont mind to pay for it, but i am wondering if the fish will make it alive when they get to their destinations.
addict2betta
addict2betta
Veiltail
Veiltail

http://www.bettasfriends.com

Back to top Go down

How to ship betta to Spain and Norway? Empty Re: How to ship betta to Spain and Norway?

Post by KalandraJane Thu 2 Sep 2010 - 2:59

I think your bigger problem would be getting the fish through customs. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for a person inside the European Union (of which Spain is part) to receive fish from a non-EU country such as the US without them holding an import license. The fish would be killed and the customer would receive a fine or criminal prosecution if they were found to be receiving the fish.

Norway would be a different matter, they are not a member of the EU so would have their own laws specific to that counrty regarding the importation of livestock.

Even if you used Fedex's fastest service, which costs huge amounts to do internationally, I think shipping would probably still take a minimum of about 2-3 days. The fish could probably survive this (just about) if you used adequate heat packs - it's very cold in the cargo hold of a plane! Also, due to the legal restrictions, you'd have to lie on the customs form about what you were sending, which puts the fish in danger of rough handling.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

How to ship betta to Spain and Norway? Empty Re: How to ship betta to Spain and Norway?

Post by addict2betta Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 5:06

Well, i asked both ladies which way they want their fish to be ship out and they said they want to try with Fedex, even the price is high cost, they want to take the risks.
Of course, i have to lie to the fedex agent about the contenue in the box.
I sent 3 boxs total, 2 to Spain and one to Norway this morning, fedex agent said they will get the shipment wednesday morning.
I pray that they fish will make it safely and alive to their new homes but thank you for your advices.
addict2betta
addict2betta
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 9:08

Risky......If customs in either country decide to check the packages, you could end up being prosecuted, the buyers could also end up being prosecuted and the fish could be destroyed. The fish will probably survive the journey, but the illegal export and importation of fish is ammunition for Anti Animal importation groups, which may one day get legal export and importation stopped.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sun 5 Sep 2010 - 15:32

Due to the previous two post(Van & KJ) I would certainly reconsider my position on shipping illegally as the repercussions could out way the benefits. Sometimes sensibility should override friendship and IMO this is one. Sorry!

2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by addict2betta Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 1:39

Before i decided to ship those fish out of the United States, i have made those customers sign an agreement between me and them. If their fish die at arrival, they would be no refunds for the fish and for shipping.
If they have problems with their local post offices or customs, they are responsible for it. They both sign.
addict2betta
addict2betta
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 1:47

It could still come back to haunt you and it could possibly have other repercussions
by drawing more attention to the illegal importation and exportation of live animals. This could very well lead to more stringent controls than already exist. I wish you would reconsider!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by addict2betta Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 3:32

Honestly, i am not worried about me but i am more concern about the fish but in the future i will send via a transhipper if there is one in Spain, Norway or any other country out of United States.
I have my import/export licence so, it is not a problem for me to send fish to a transhipper or to someone who has a import permit.
addict2betta
addict2betta
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 4:17

I think it would be for the best IMAO!

I hope you didn't take offense as it wasn't intended to be a slight on you. If you are an importer/ exporter you know more than I do obviously!

If you don't mind, out of curiosity what kind are you shipping?
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by addict2betta Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 8:13

No, no offence at all, thumbup
Well i knew the rules a little but those 2 ladies wanted to get those fish no matter what. Somehow, they could not find those kind in their area and have to get them from USA.

I'm sending 4 pairs purple dragon half moon and 4 pairs orange dragon hmplakat to the lady in Spain and 4 pairs red dragon crown tail to the lady in Norway.
addict2betta
addict2betta
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum