Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Starting a sorority??

3 posters

Go down

Starting a sorority?? Empty Starting a sorority??

Post by elliriyanna Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 17:20

I have discovered that I LOVE betta's Smile So I want to start saving up for supplies for my forty gallon since I know it will take time. But first I need to know if my idea will even work and how to go about doing it. First of all will ten girls in a well filtered and heavily planted tank work ? Four gallons per fish isn't so bad really... Io could bring it down to 8 if more space is needed. Also you have to add all the girls at once but you shouldn't add more than three fish per week... So how should I add them? Also what filters heaters eairstones ect would you add?

If everyone gets along well should I add a few cories or oto's to help clean the tank?

If it won't work I won't do it but any information would be helpful Smile
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Starting a sorority?? Empty Re: Starting a sorority??

Post by kizno1 Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 17:35

10 should be fine you could get away with 12 or maybe evan a few more IMO.
I would add them all at once if you can to avoid any problems. The tank will need to be cycled first though
This explains it
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
a fish less cycle will be the best.
your going to want a heater that about 150watt. I would go for an external filter if you can that way you get extra water volume, alot more media than in a internal and then you dont have a big chunk of filter in the tank. It also makes it alot easier to keep the water quality good. Your going to want a filter that does about 1500LPH IMO. A fluval 405 would be my choose. Theres no need for a air stone because bettas breath air and the filter should keep the water oxygenated emough.
Theres quite a few other things you could add to a 40G with the bettas. I wouldnt go for ottos as they are know to starve to death unless theres LOADS of algae for them to eat. I would go for something like
10 female bettas
10 corys
pair bristlenose plecs (either both female or 1 male 1 female)
Then maybe a slightly different catfish like 1 banjo catfish or 3 upside down or anchor catfish.
How that look?
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 17:42

Sounds good Smile good thing I looked into this way ahead of time cuz its gonna take me a while to save up. 15 girls ?? Really? And I know how to do the fishless cycle now I think... Yu just feed the tank and test it. When everything reads properly your ready to add fish Smile my tank has no algae but I add wafers so they are fat Smile would that work for the forty or should I play it safe and get cories and a pleco?

And can I add an airstone anyway? Sometimes they like to play in the air and I loke the look of the bubbles ... But if its best not to I won't. Smile
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 17:50

Its its heavily planted 15 might work but i think 12 would be better.
It might work but alot of ottos starve to death without alot of algae. They need to be in groups aswell.
I personally would go for the corys and BNs. But then i would say bns because there great to breed. My trio are having babies every 3 weeks. A breeding pair would work in the 40G a few might get picked of but if its heavily planted quite a few should survive.

Its not that theres anything wrong with them its just you dont need them but one will be fine if you like them.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 17:58

Ok I'll go for 13 ... I've heard odd numbers work best Smile I don't actually wanna breed anything ... Esp if there isn't a market for them... I don't have the money to buy new tanks for them or any of that... I will get some cories Smile and the girls should add plenty of color Smile I don't know why but I love the look of bubbles lol. I have one in my ten gallon tank. This time I'm not setting anything up til I have the money for everything and all the proper equipment.

How many pounds of gravel will I need? And how long does it take to establish pecking order?

Also are there any meds I should have on hand just in case?
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 18:03

I just remembered my friend Is giving me another tank, it will have to be cycled and everything but could I put tatsu in it when its done and make a sorority tank out of my ten gallon? If not its fine it was just an idea Smile I wouldn't mind just having two males in there own tanks Smile
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 18:06

13 should be fine. Fair enough. A male or 2 females would still work though. There is a good market for them i sell mine for £2.49 to my lfs and £1 to another lfs they both take about 25-50 at a time.
Sounds good.
If you want corys i would go for sand. You can use play sand and just rinse it first. You can get 10kg bags for a couple of £ in tesco and argos. 2 bags should do the job. It doesnt take long the first couple of days they will fight a bit but after that it should just be the odd nip or flare. I always try to keep a internal bacteria and a fungus med all the time just in case. I use the interpet meds and they always seem to work for me.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 18:08

elliriyanna wrote:I just remembered my friend Is giving me another tank, it will have to be cycled and everything but could I put tatsu in it when its done and make a sorority tank out of my ten gallon? If not its fine it was just an idea Smile I wouldn't mind just having two males in there own tanks Smile
It can be a little risky in a 10G you might get lucky but if not then theres not enough space for them to get away from each other and it will just end up with 1 bullying all the others. I wouldnt risk it i think 2 males would be a better option.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 18:14

Ok ... Two males it is Smile and I'm just not experienced enough to breed yet. Though if it happens it happens. But I'm in the US so I'm having trouble with some of the conversions and such Sad I'm sorry
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 18:18

Fair enough. Sorry i thought you where in the UK dont have a clue what it would be in the us.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 20:37

elliriyanna wrote:Ok ... Two males it is Smile and I'm just not experienced enough to breed yet. Though if it happens it happens. But I'm in the US so I'm having trouble with some of the conversions and such Sad I'm sorry

Hey! I'm in the U.S. and I speak as well as write in English! thumbup
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 20:43

Yay Smile so what do you recommend? Like sand filters and such
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 21:49

Kizno knows a lot more than I do. Just go by his advice and others as I don't have a sorority yet or in the near future. Sand filters as in fish would be the corys. I have one in my 10gl. with a c/t and shes such a nice fish. Of course now I know they are better in groups.

If you review old topics you find a lot of informative suggestions on just about anything. I'm not the one to give to much advice as I'm fairly new to the game. But I'm certainly willing to help if I know something!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down