Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Searching for a man for Io. Possible candidate?

4 posters

Go down

Searching for a man for Io. Possible candidate? Empty Searching for a man for Io. Possible candidate?

Post by cherrydanio Sun 21 Jun 2009 - 12:21

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Like all mums I want my little girl to have the perfect man. Could this guy be it?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just for reference this is Io

Or if anyone here has a half moon going that they think would be Mr Right let us know:D
cherrydanio
cherrydanio
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Searching for a man for Io. Possible candidate? Empty Re: Searching for a man for Io. Possible candidate?

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Sun 21 Jun 2009 - 17:02

Colour wise, they match is pretty good :D The only thing to watch is the length of the anal fin. Your girl has a fair length and the male has a very long anal fin. You wouldn't want to extend the anal fin anymore than the male already has, as it may lead to swimming problems.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Searching for a man for Io. Possible candidate? Empty Re: Searching for a man for Io. Possible candidate?

Post by cherrydanio Sun 21 Jun 2009 - 17:38

Hmm very good point. If you see a male more suitable do let me know haha Smile He's still a stunner mind.
cherrydanio
cherrydanio
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraFrog Mon 22 Jun 2009 - 11:35

Wow that female is absolutely incredible? Did you breed her?

The other thing I'd be looking for in a male maybe is a longer based dorsal than she has but not excessively so. It's easy to over-analyse a cross and make the mistake of trying to compensate rather than compliment. Say you had a fish with too long of a body. Rather than looking for a partner with a short body, you go for the closest to ideal body length you can find. That way, the genes present in the line are 'ideal body' and 'long body' and in the fry, you can just select the ones with the ideal body length. If you'd crossed 'long body' and 'short body' then the fry would likely LOOK right, but have a combination of two 'wrong' genes.
The obvious exception to this (as pointed out by Vandraco) is fin length which seems to be close to halfway between the fin length of the parents in most cases. Except the VT/PK thing, where VT x PK = VT which masks the PK entirely, so your fins are just as long.

LauraFrog
Plakat
Plakat

http://bestfinforward.fh50.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cherrydanio Mon 22 Jun 2009 - 18:38

Thanks Laurafrog Smile I wish I could take credit for her haha but I bought her from Modaz. Pennies well spent methinks! I'm very new to the whoe breeding malarky so it's good to hear from the experts what I should be looking for :D
cherrydanio
cherrydanio
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Tue 23 Jun 2009 - 10:19

Wow the female is brill, i hope you find a hubby soon.

Storm
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum