Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

To UPGRADE or NOT, dilemma! 10L to 27L?

+4
2tall
kizno1
Irish_Lass
ubrosso
8 posters

Go down

To UPGRADE or NOT, dilemma! 10L to 27L? Empty To UPGRADE or NOT, dilemma! 10L to 27L?

Post by ubrosso Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 16:08

Here is my dilemma:

I have a 10 litre tank (3 gallon), with a betta male and 2 red ramshorns, tank is cycled and planted. Ammonia and nitrite are zero, water is clear, fish is healthy and colorful, Temperature is at 27,5-28ÂșC, 8h light period! Now... I am infected with the bug of "GIVE HIM A LARGER HOME", what i ask is: should i? need i?
If i were to change tanks i would want to change my gravel (so it would not affect my pH as mine is tending to 7.2-7.5 and i would like it to be stuck at 7.0) and change my filter from internal to external (i would shift my ceramics to the new filter ofcourse)...

My fears are:

a) My plants are now rooted and i would disarrange their lifes
b) Changing gravel and filter could set back my cycle
c) If it isnt broken dont fix rule applies to upgrading tank size? lol. "should i? need i?". Im affraid of risking a functioning environment. I dont have room for two fish tanks so its either upgrade or not...

I seek council my friends, cant ask to non aquarium keepers as they would only say "Too much for only a fish?!"

Actual Fish Tank:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bruno
ubrosso
ubrosso
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

To UPGRADE or NOT, dilemma! 10L to 27L? Empty Re: To UPGRADE or NOT, dilemma! 10L to 27L?

Post by Irish_Lass Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 16:10

Why don't you keep him in that tank and start off another tank?? Wink
Irish_Lass
Irish_Lass

Back to top Go down

To UPGRADE or NOT, dilemma! 10L to 27L? Empty Re: To UPGRADE or NOT, dilemma! 10L to 27L?

Post by ubrosso Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 16:14

Only if i buy a piece of furniture to lay down a new tank, and there goes more cost... I dont know if i should consider the option... I myslef live in a confined space lol!

Cheers!
ubrosso
ubrosso
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 16:52

I would upgrade if you can. 10l is about 2 and a half USG which is a bit on the small side IMO. I would up grade to the 27l/7usg and then you could always divide that for 2 and they would still both get 3.5usg which is alot better imo.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by ubrosso Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 16:56

Kizno,

10L is the usefull volume, the tank is actually a 3 gallon (11,36 L - 23,5x23,5x23,5 cm). Thanks for the input! But if i do get 27L i dont intend to divide its solely for him.
ubrosso
ubrosso
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 17:48

IMO 10l isn't useful for anything other than plants, shrimp and snails. fair enough if its 3G but the bigger the better imo. I would upgrade if you can it always gives you more options and is easier to keep good water conditions.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 18:12

I have a c/t in a 2.5 gl. hex with an U/G filter and wanted to change to an external filter to provide more space.

It was suggested that I leave the U/G set up along with the new external filter as that would help cycle the new filter. Then after a period of time I could then remove the old U/G. Of course you need to watch the parameters of the water to insure the cycle was completed.

That is a nice looking setup you have IMO and as long as he seems comfortable do either as you please.

I don't listen to non-keepers because as far as I'm concerned there opinion is not valid! Its all your choice!

Myself I plan on dividing my 37L as I have two c/t's and I want to move the one from the hex. I housed him there out of necessity and its my belief he needs more space, but thats my opinion!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 21:26

I think his home looks lovely, but I like to see bettas in bigger spaces - 15 litres per betta is what I go by in my divided tanks, seems to give them just enough room, though wish I could be less selfish and allow them more room (addicted to them you see so divide tanks multiple times)
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Nataliey Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 21:44

silverrabbit wrote:I think his home looks lovely, but I like to see bettas in bigger spaces - 15 litres per betta is what I go by in my divided tanks, seems to give them just enough room, though wish I could be less selfish and allow them more room (addicted to them you see so divide tanks multiple times)

I agree with silver his home looks lovely as it is but i have a 12 litre tank that i only use as a hospital tank as id say too small for permanent living space. But also its like you said above if you havent really got the space is it really worth upgrading and uprooting everything gone into the betta tank you've already made beautiful!

To me from what i read you've kinda made your mind up while writing this thread just by the questions you've asked!

Really id say you need to ask yourself who needs the space, yourself or the betta. Very Happy
Nataliey
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 12:00

I'd start cycling the other one asap if I were you Smile and upgrade him!

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 13:34

i would get the bigger tank and you can run the filter you have now along side the new one untill it cycles( a month or so) then put your ceramics in the new filter and take out the old one. the smallest that my bettas have is 5USG each.
flip
flip
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by ubrosso Sun 22 Aug 2010 - 13:10

Ok, you ppl win lol!
Went for a weekend walk on a huge LFS i didnt know and found a place with 3 alongside and close to home (one of those places hidden in hell with stores in the same block!). In one of them i discovered a gorgeous tank that i just couldnt resist! Had to take a cab home but as it was near turned out to be cheap Twisted Evil

I got myself a 7.3US gallon tank (~28L) and will use same filter as i found out its maximum output is almost a 10x turnover to the tank size, 265LPH x 28L. Will save me some money and a complete cycle. When i get it assembled i'll post pics.

Thx for the inputs peeps,
Bruno
ubrosso
ubrosso
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Sun 22 Aug 2010 - 15:14

Well done for upgrading Smile the fish will love it
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by ubrosso Sun 22 Aug 2010 - 15:59

Ok, here it is:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've put in even the water from the old tank, so at least 1/3 of this water is "mature".

And a few questions (if someone has this species):

I bought 6 corydoras hastatus, the dwarf ones, they are ridiculously small and 1 is missing, checked even inside the filter, i dont think the betta has eaten it he doesnt even cares about their presence and even if he wanted he couldnt persuit... Magical disapearance?

What do dwarf corydoras eat? I read they eat algae wafers but they are ignoring botton tablets (i recon they are ubber small for it, but wouldnt they scratch it?), even tried sinking some flakes but no sucess. I see them scavanging the gravel so i assume they are looking for food. Are they like bettas and dont eat till feeling home?

Cheers

ubrosso
ubrosso
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 Sun 22 Aug 2010 - 16:06

Looks alot better :]

Ones they have settled in they should start eating. They will take scrapes of flakes and eat algae wafers. They love blood work aswell one for each of them will fill them up. It might just be hiding they are rally hard to spot sometimes.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sun 22 Aug 2010 - 16:32

That was so thoughtful of you. Your're such good provider! I like dwarfs too!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum