Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

betta bulbs(aponogeton bulbs)

4 posters

Go down

betta bulbs(aponogeton bulbs) Empty betta bulbs(aponogeton bulbs)

Post by turok Wed 10 Jun 2009 - 4:35

hi everyone, i bought betta bulbs and they've been sitting in my tank for 4days and nothings really happend. it is a new tank so their is nts but do you think that's what has caused them to not sprout? have any of you tried them? if so any suggestions on how to make them work?

turok
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

betta bulbs(aponogeton bulbs) Empty Re: betta bulbs(aponogeton bulbs)

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Wed 10 Jun 2009 - 13:34

Hmmm, never used those myself, will have a look and see what i can find out:)
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Wed 10 Jun 2009 - 13:40

What I have found so far would indicate that all plants in the Genus Aponogeton require a rich substrate and regular fertilizer for them to grow healthy. Do you have any idea which Aponogeton it is, as there are wide ranging requirements for the different species.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi69 Wed 10 Jun 2009 - 14:15

I have found however that you float the bulbs in water until they spout roots and then bury them in substrate. It can take anything from 24 hours to a week for them to sprout, and not all of the bulbs sprout about 1 in 6!

I'm presuming nts means either nitrates or nitrites. I wouldn't of thought any plant would grow well with either of these present in the water. If you are cycling the tank why not move them to another tank to allow them the best chance of growing until your tank is fully cycled.

Apparently once they start growing they grow like weeds (really quickly) but look great in tanks!!

Are the bulbs like small coconuts (brown and hairy) do you have any pictures?? sunny
Lexi69
Lexi69
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by turok Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 6:13

i believe they are hybrid aponogetons. i'm not sure because the stupid things really has no instructions or details. it says betta bulbs and underneath aponogeton bulbs.

i already have a java fern in the tank for a couple of days and its been doing fine....oh and that nts stood for new tank syndrome. i'm new yeah. i've had turok my betta since saturday.

do they really need fertilizers? and i couldn't find with all the research how much light they need? i found that the java ferns needed low light and no fertilizer, hard plants. and other plants like that? also little water circulatioin because i don't have and can't buy and air pump plus bettas don't like them.

so as of right now it may be because of the nts but the betta bulbs for me have so far failed. i'll give them a week. but i know other people that had alot of success with them so maybe you guys will=]

and yeah they are the coconutt hairy things. i may try again once my tank is cycled. btw, how long do you think that will take?

turok
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 12:34

Hi Turok

With reference to your question about how long it will take your tank to cycle? It wont cycle :D

When refering to cycling, it is the filter media that cylces and as you are filterless there is nothing to cycle. Thats why you will need to do those partial water changes every few days. The water changes will have to continue indefinately.
Cycling = The Nitrogen cycle, where by the filter media firstly establishes a colony of bacteria that converts toxic Ammonia into toxic NitrIte. Then a colony of bacteria are eventually form to convert NitrIte into NitrAte. At that point the filter is said to be cycled. This can take anywhere from 6 - 12 weeks.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 15:01

I use the following products in my planted tank and when used together work really well at keeping healthy and fast growing plants.

Easylife - ProFito
Easylife - Easycarbo
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum