Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

New boy

+5
crystal
liz2
lilacamy931
wendysbettas
Assaye
9 posters

Go down

New boy Empty New boy

Post by Assaye Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 2:37

I feel like I'm replacing Orion . . .

There has been a rather wonderful lad at P@H all week. He's steel blue and has good fins (unusual for a P@H betta!) and he's constantly building bubble nests. He always had one in his tank at P@H and he's suck a character! Always flaring and coming to see people. I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't fit him into my set up so after Orion passing, I just brought him home. He's in quarantine at the moment and he's already made two bubble nests, despite only having been here since 6pm!

I feel bad for bringing someone new home so soon, but he was too lovely and lively to leave there. Lets hope I have better luck with him than I have with my other boys and girls of late! Will get some photos soon.
Assaye
Assaye
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

New boy Empty Re: New boy

Post by wendysbettas Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 5:51

Awww good luck with him!

wendysbettas
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 7:21

Dont feel guilty hon, you were great to Orion and he had a great life, you are giving this new betta a chance, he has come home with someone that understands his needs x
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 16:55

Never feel guilty for getting a new fish you are not replacing Orion. You just have loads of love to give and need a fish to love, thats all! xx
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by crystal Tue 3 Nov 2009 - 17:20

I felt the same way when i bought a new boy after albert passed away, but don't feel guilty, it's not replacing and orion will always be in your heart. Can't wait to see the little guy!
crystal
crystal
Feathertail
Feathertail

http://www.mfccustoms.synthasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Assaye Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 17:19

We think we're going to call him Sirius.

Also got a girl from a different lfs. They didn't ask me anything about my tanks or fish, or if I even knew how to take care of her. They even had a display tank with a male and three females =/

Anyway. She's a lot like the girls I had that added disease to my tank. She's a small, red VT. The red on her fins is so bright and she's a right little madam, lol! She was chasing angel fish around in her tank at the lfs.

She's in the previously empty 65 litre (that once housed my community before the disaster) and I've only got it half filled with water. She's so active and CUTE.

I owe you lot so many photos, lol.
Assaye
Assaye
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by XxshedevilxX Sat 12 Dec 2009 - 3:59

I just got my very first fish, crowntail betta today myself and as far as movement goes he is fine but he is not eating. Is it because he is not hungry today or maybe its stress? I'm kinda worried, can anyone help me out here Sad

XxshedevilxX
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Sat 12 Dec 2009 - 11:43

How big is the tank?
Is it filtered,heated?
Any other fish in the tank?
Your not meant to feed the first day as their still settling in, my first one didnt eat for a week.
Maybe start a new thread so your not hi-jacking this thread lol!
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by XxshedevilxX Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 2:17

I have a 1/2gl tank and im about to upgrade him to a full gallon tank in a couple water changes after he gets used to me. The tank is not filtered but it is heated and kept at a good 78-80 F, and he will be my only fish until I'm ready for another betta. And I understand what you are saying completely because I asked my friend and she said that it was normal for them not to eat the first day in fact she told me that she doesnt have to feed hers but every other day really. But, everything is fine now I gave him a couple pellets the next morning and he ate them right up. Plus after I got home from work, I saw that he made a bubble nest also Very Happy Guess I was just being a mother hen for a second lol...

Thanks for your help and next time I'll just make my own tread instead of hi-jacking this one lol! lolol

XxshedevilxX
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 3:10

Hi Shedevil

Welcome to the forum. I hope your betta perks up soon, but i must advise you to upgrade to at least 3 gallons. Half, or even one, gallon is not sufficient for any species of fish. In a gallon of water, you will need to do 100% every day using dechlorinated water, which is matched to the temperature of the bowl he's in. If not, the ammonia will rise causing the betta to suffer, and it will shorten its life. Frequent water changes can also be stressful to the betta, so thats why a 3 gallon with a simple filter is far better for them.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XxshedevilxX Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 4:57

Hello and thanks,

My betta has perked up alot since yesterday. He swims around a lot whenever he sees me and even made bubbles nests although its probably just ready to mate which also a good thing lol. But even if I change the water every week like i should, it still wouldnt be ok to keep him there? I have no problem changing his water for him.

XxshedevilxX
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 10:37

No, id say its 'cruel' keeping him in 1/2G, i cant picture how he swims in there.

I dont want to sound offending in anyway, but 3g would be great for him, you will notice even better behaviour.

Did you say that small tank is heated? I wouldn't pop a heater into something that small, as it could easily over-heat.

So the best thing you could do is upgrade to a 3G and pop in a little filter and heater. With a Cycled filter you won't have to do all those water changes. Only 10% a week.

And it wont cost you much to upgrade. Try places like Ebay or Car boot sales.

Hope that helps, and if you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask Very Happy

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by XxshedevilxX Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 17:37

Well its heated by a heating pad for now because I know that a regular heater would be too much for him. But I will take your advice and upgrade him to a much bigger one. I see that he wishes to roam a bit more than he can right now. Smile

XxshedevilxX
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 17:53

Thats brilliant. Have you got any piccies? We love betta pictures!! You can start a new thread in Betta Showcase and show us your little fish! Very Happy

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by XxshedevilxX Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 18:26

I saw that!! And because the tank is so small I cant get a good pic of him, but I found a 5 gallon tank which is just perfect for him at where i work at for less than 40 dollars so I'm getting that tomorrow for him. But its weird because I have never set up a filtered tank before in my life lol. It shouldnt be that hard right? Very Happy

XxshedevilxX
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 18:51

nope not at all.

Put the filter in the new tank with the betta and will begin to cycle. This is called fish-in cycling. It would be advisable to get a test kit too.

W/out a test kit start off by doing atleast a 20% water changes every 2 days for about 3-4 weeks.

But with a test kit you will know how much water too change, it may be less, it maybe more.

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by XxshedevilxX Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 19:12

Sounds good I'll do that! Smile

XxshedevilxX
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down