Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

How do you know if a fish is blind?

+2
lilacamy931
jasminek
6 posters

Go down

How do you know if a fish is blind? Empty How do you know if a fish is blind?

Post by jasminek Sat 26 Sep 2009 - 19:51

I ask this because i fed my new boy just now and he just carried on swimming madly around the tank, happy like he has been. I wiggled my finger in the weater as a sign for its feeding time and when i fed him he didnt see the flake, not even when he swam past it. Could he be blind? I tried a few times and its like he couldnt see the food?
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

How do you know if a fish is blind? Empty Re: How do you know if a fish is blind?

Post by lilacamy931 Sat 26 Sep 2009 - 20:13

Mine do this occasionally hon, sometimes they are in different moods. Unsure on the proper ways of telling blind fish, but he is still setlling so give him time x
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

How do you know if a fish is blind? Empty Re: How do you know if a fish is blind?

Post by jasminek Sat 26 Sep 2009 - 20:18

ok will do (: he may just want to explore and egnore the food lol?
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Sat 26 Sep 2009 - 20:26

Yeah hon me thinks so. Smile Give him time and over the next couple of days (weeks!) get used to his behaviour as he gets used to his surroundings and you x
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Assaye Sat 26 Sep 2009 - 22:57

Mine do this when they are new and don't know what happens at feeding time. All the boys I've had for a while come up and say hello when I come to the tank and they all know that if I put my hands in/near the tank, food is likely to be on it's way. The new ones just need to get used to this. Rei and Orion always used to ignore food and now they come up and beg for it. It's super cute.
Assaye
Assaye
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Sun 27 Sep 2009 - 9:58

Ah ok! Well thats a weight lifted lol :D Will try feed again later, thanks Wink
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Sun 27 Sep 2009 - 10:37

perhaps if it persists you could try feeding him pellets? I know loads of lfs's use flake but bettas actually prefer pellets and they are generally a better source of nutrients keeping your betta healthier
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashton Sun 27 Sep 2009 - 11:58

My Deakin does this all the time, a pellet passes right over his nose and he doesn't seem to see it but when it comes round in the flow he swims for it so I don't think it's eye sight [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Perhaps they get too excited they just miss it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ashton
Ashton
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Etcetera Mon 28 Sep 2009 - 5:30

I have a girl with a bad eye, and it's very obvious that one side is completely blind, I think you would instantly be able to identify differences in behavior that would suggest acute blindness--however, it seems that fish and other aquatic animals are much more drawn to movement, as Ashton's post suggests. Perhaps try less of a poke and more of a wiggle. Also, smell plays a fairly significant role in a betta's attraction to food. If you pre-soak the flakes/pellets in a bit of tank water so they get good and soggy before you feed your fish, the odor will diffuse more quickly and they will be healthier and more appetizing to your fish. It's also possible that if you have some excessive lighting, it could cause some vision problems.

Etcetera
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum