Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

New Tank - Pics added

+4
liamg1285
pippoodle
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
lilacamy931
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Tank - Pics added Empty New Tank - Pics added

Post by lilacamy931 Sun 23 Aug 2009 - 21:56

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is the 18" cube tank won for a bargain me thinks. It works out as..96 litres / 21UK gallons / 25 US gallons. Help me making it a good tank! LOL

Thinking not to fill right to the top as a long swim for the fish, probably going to go for a depth of 12-14" of water so can ensure get tall enough silk plants and then there will be one-two inches of substrate probably sand thinking a white/black mix seen.

The divider i am going to use that plastic tapestry stuff and make four sections, decided not to do diagonal but straight on as the way it will be placed one space would be neglected and unuseable. Making own divides cut halves halfway on the two measured pieces and slot together, what do I do on the edges or will it wedge into place.

Probably going with at least one very tall silk plant in each compartment for height and resting and than live plants for lower till they grow in.

In my 14g I have a fluval that use a tube to have the current going from the opposite end of the tank so the flow is pushed through. In a cube...how would I do this? confused01 Would I just have the filter in one section and let it push everything around? Perhaps I could keep one section just for heater and filter and allow it to push everything around?

Lastly need to find a place for its own plug. One thing I did want to ask, there is a spare one on the extension for the big tank, can I slot another extension in this to carry onto plugging more in for the last tank or alternatively seen 8 slot extensions are these safe to use? Just abit worried about constant use for two tanks, otherwise going to have to rethink.

Filter wise, will probably go for a fluval as they are the most easily accessed, but any other recommendations good otherwise.

This may sound wrong but this will be a "rescue" tank if that is the term, I don;t intend to support stores that have sick fish constantly but ones perhaps that have the odd runt or unloveable not likely bought one, probably make no sense, but seen some cuties and instead got the pedigrees of the bunch. Did happen to see an absolute beaut today at a disgusting store very pretty peach body with opaque full CT fins. Shame only just bought the tank.

Anways sorry to blab, excited! To recap

1. Ideal depth of water?
2. Sand good as any substrate?
3. Dividers - idea sound and also how to fix in place, if possible without sealant?
4. Sound idea, one tall silk plant and rest live to grow in?
5. Filter, model to go for and how to distribute its current best for the tank?
6. Extensions - safety wise etc?
7. Rescue idea - interested to know your opinons, don't want to support bad stores but do want to get ones for a second chance and good home.

Sorry for lengthy post!

Last edited by lilacamy931 on Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 19:50; edited 1 time in total
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

New Tank - Pics added Empty Re: New Tank - Pics added

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 12:58

lilacamy931 wrote:
1. Ideal depth of water?
2. Sand good as any substrate?
3. Dividers - idea sound and also how to fix in place, if possible without sealant?
4. Sound idea, one tall silk plant and rest live to grow in?
5. Filter, model to go for and how to distribute its current best for the tank?
6. Extensions - safety wise etc?
7. Rescue idea - interested to know your opinons, don't want to support bad stores but do want to get ones for a second chance and good home.

Hiya

1. 12-14" is fine thumbup
2. Sand makes a good substrate thumbup
3. If using the tapestry type material you can use suckers and clips to hold in place, But...over 18" it could get awkward as you would need to keep it tight to the edges, whilst having to have a join in the middle. Suckers aren't always reliable either. Personally, i would stick to using Penplax dividers. Cut exactly right, and criss-crossed in the middle they should virtually stay in place, particularly if part buried in the sand. Alternatively, secure them with A4 paper binders with the bottom in the substrate and just one blob of sealant at the top.
4. Mix of plants is fine.
5. Fluvals are fine. You could either use one section for the filter and heater, or use a tube with holes in the end which runs into an adjoining section.
6. Best not to run an extension off an extension. Wise to get one single extesions with more outlets.
7. Rescues?? I am not a believer in spending money in stores that dont look after their fish. Its counter productive in the long run. We, as well as Daz & others often give away any oddities that we get lol Such as Mellychops Mr Bumpy :D
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 13:12

Thanks very much for that Vandraco! My only little further questions are:

I have seen a 8 plug extension which thinking may be best option but this has my parnter a little concerned about it being overworked as would be on 24/7. What do you guys think?

Yeah I do see the point of rescues being counter productive, I always have mixed feelings about it. I have to say I did see that beauty I mentioned above, but it was in the shop I absolutely hate and only go when absolute emergency (needed RO water this time, managed to get a small tub free) the bettas are always disgusting in there except this chap and it was that "I could have him before the store damages him" but anyways didnt have a tank and I wasnt going to be horrible and put him in a breeding trap till set up which would be about 3 weeks away that would be just as cruel..

Well I may as well advertise now! Will in a couple of weeks (next payday) be setting up a tank with 3-4 slots depending so if you have ones need rehoming please let me know! This tank is for the odds and ends that are just as loveable but perhaps need a good home even if you need a temporary home I do not mind one bit! I get attached to me bettas, but very solid when it comes to looking after other peoples pets.

Thanks for all that Vandraco! Anyone know where can get 18" by 18" dividers? Only seen locally 12"x15" and 12"x12"

Sorry to rant on lol. I love and hate setting tanks up all at the same time!
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 15:00

The extension lead will be fine thumbup When we did the reptile room out we had an electrician round to do some odd jobs. Asked him about the all the heaters and lights i needed to run and he said i'm no where near maximum for the sockets. I'm running 5 x 100w ceramic heat bulbs, UV's and a dehumidifier.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 18:06

Great thanks Van! I did ask elsewhere and got scary answers especially abobut the fact I have two sockets together! So a 8 way socket it is then Wink
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 18:13

i got a twin socket from the wall - out of one i run a 10 plug adapter and out of the other an 8 plug adapter 24 hours a day and have been for at least 6 months - all fine
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by liamg1285 Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 18:15

most household sockets are rated at 32A and most extension leads are rated at 13A so if u are pulling to much juice through them the fuse will blow in the plug or trip the breaker in the board
liamg1285
liamg1285
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 21:22

Thanks very much guys! That has reassured me lots and probably going to get a 8 plug socket between two tank. Tank has arrived it looks great! May have to do diagonal divide after all as the positioning is unfortunate and one corner may be neglected, need to have a little think. If do + divide than the back right corner can be just for plants, heater etc as wouldnt get round there to see. The back left only be able to see one side so will need to pay extra attention there lol.

The tank came with a DIY undergravel kit, not sure whether to use or not silent There is a plastic tray thing with holes cut in, a nozzle for a pump to attach to and apparently that it is it, attach and put 2-3 inch gravel in. It would sit in the middle of four sections if so..What do you guys think or should I go for a section for all the gubbins and say some shrimp? The DIY smells of toxin and resin as well just to mention..LOL

Sorry feel such a noob with this tank for some reason! The cube has me confuddled, thanks for all the reassurances guys, you are the best! lolol
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 21:27

Undergravel filters are fine for Bettas, as they are not big waste producers. Not really suitable to use sand though No
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 21:40

I can use gravel, I dont mind as long as it is not white this time! LOL I will eventually get around to changing that dratted stuff in the 14g. If I get a pic can you help me check got everything need? I understand with these filters not to disturb gravel too much, not sure understand how to cycle except with squeezings Poke
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Assaye Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 21:49

As far as rescues are concerned, there is a way to go about it that isn't too counter-productive, but you need confidence and a thick skin.

If you see that a shop isn't treating its bettas well, and you want to take one away with you to save it, never just buy it and walk out of the door. Make a scene. Speak to the manager. Ask the assistants to feed them and change their water. Demand you have the betta at a discount. Write a letter. Phone head-office. Do whatever you can to alert the staff and the company to the neglect and don't shop there again (even to rescue) if they don't change their ways.

Also - don't get supplies from there. You may let them know exactly what you think of them and get a betta for £1, but if you buy £30 of equipment then they're still laughing.
Assaye
Assaye
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 21:53

Thanks Assaye I can see your point and the reasons why Smile I have complained regularly before in one shop and do make a point of not buying from there, perhaps it is time for me to go further as you suggest.
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 22:14

Under gravel filters cycle exactly the same as any other filter. The gravel replaces the media that you would find in the filter. The bacteria build up on the gravel, so when cleaning only gravel vac lightly. You can put some mature filter media in a filter bag and place it in the gravel. This will help the bacteria grow.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 13:12

Thanks very much Van! :hug: Will decide if to go with this type of heater or not now know the mechanics (think will see how loud the pump is first)
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 19:50

So positioning I have two options so far!

Option One:
Next along on the wall, the table will be moved so move movement either side, though restricted.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Close up of tank in place:
Heres the filter stuff that still smells bit toxic, looking good? Seems to simple lol
Option 2:
Open floor space, would be able to see all sides and have four spaces, we would ensure wires tapped down etc, we are thinking placing on open floor to see how we would work around it?
Unsure why but tanks feel much safer against the wall! Im being odd! Wink
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 20:59

Very nice looking tank.....even when empty :D
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 21:53

LOL thanks Van! Smile What do reckon middle floor, corner? Very pleased with this buy
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 22:00

In the open would look great :D Viewable from all sides...nice thumbup

Have you considered using a small external filter that you can hide in the cabinet?
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 22:04

Hmmm that is a good idea! I am very uneasy on this ungravel thing, especially as phew! It smells toxic and can't imagine what it does to the water. Removed and airing tank now. Me beloved is going to move it for me tomorrow and we will see how it fairs in that space. We don't use it much and it would be great. Plus if careful there will only be one wire to possibly trip on which would be extension, if carefully arrange the others in the hollow shelves of the stand! YAY (Just got to convince the other half lol) Thanks again very muchly Van! More research to do - yay!!! lolol

Hope not boring you too much Wink
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 22:09

lilacamy931 wrote:

No......not yet :lol!:

One thing to check? Have you got solid concrete floor or floorboards? If its floorboards you will need to check where the joists are. Should be ok anyway, but if you can place it so it rests on 2 joists it'll safe as houses :D

Whilst you're checking, you could run an extension under the floorboards thumbup Have the electrics coming out the floor and straight into the cabinet......no visible wires thumbup
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 7:22

Vandraco aka Bronzecat wrote:
lilacamy931 wrote:

No......not yet :lol!:

One thing to check? Have you got solid concrete floor or floorboards? If its floorboards you will need to check where the joists are. Should be ok anyway, but if you can place it so it rests on 2 joists it'll safe as houses :D

Whilst you're checking, you could run an extension under the floorboards thumbup Have the electrics coming out the floor and straight into the cabinet......no visible wires thumbup

LOL thanks I love you
Ah we are full concrete! LOL Dont need to worry about floorboards which is a good thing being top floor flat Wink otherwsie tidal wave!
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by tropical girl Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 13:57

hey lilacamy,
looks like you got one good bargain there thumbup
that tank is gorgeous,love the thought of being able
to see from all sides i`d try and go for that if poss,room,kids etc
cant wait to see what you do with it,
also nice other tanks too glad im not the only one with mts!!! 🤣
tropical girl
tropical girl
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 14:04

LOL thanks tropical girl! Luckily we have no kids just me being pretty clumsy! This is my very last tank it is! Honest! I have decided if goes in middle of floor may compromise and move Enigma and the khulis from the 5g into one of the slots on this tank and then still only have 4 tanks! Keep the 5g as a quarantine for new arrivals. Right, sand for that tank, a nice heater and thanks to Vans suggesting look into a external filter perhaps, one that I can install easily and wont disarray the betta in that section and be a good filter. Smile
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by jasminek Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 22:53

Great idea! Would of replied sooner if i'd signed up earlier lol!
At christmas i might see about another tank for a betta, but the parents only want me havign 2 tanks at the most which is my betta one and my coldwater fish one lol!
jasminek
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 22:55

i'm on 17 tanks now :Embarassed:
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail