Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Do you soak your pellets before feeding?

+12
chuwee
CeeJayy
crystal
Newfishy
liz2
ReptileLuver729
pippoodle
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Assaye
lilacamy931
babyd
Galanta
16 posters

Go down

Do you soak your pellets before feeding? Empty Do you soak your pellets before feeding?

Post by Galanta Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 6:21

When I got my first betta (VT) a few months ago I was reading up on all kinds of websites about how to care for bettas and somebody said that it is better to soak the pellets for 5 min before feeding, so they can expand. So I did that with my betta right from the start. I fed 4 soaked pellets 2 times a day. I kept forgetting to skip a day and did not even hear about peas until much later, but to date Azumo has never gotten constipated.

I have since also taken on my friends CT George, who gets constipated ALL THE TIME. No I have been soaking his pellets too for the last two months. He never gets more than 4-5 pellets in one day, but he inevitably gets constipated if I don't skip a day and feed part of a pea every 3 days or so.

A couple of times I have fed the pellets to my betta straight as I was in a hurry. I noticed that in those cases he kind of bites down repeatedly on it as if he was "chewing", but other than that I don't see any difference in him. So I am wondering if I am just giving myself extra "work" without any good reason.

Are you guys soaking your pellets before feeding, or do you just toss them in Question
Galanta
Galanta
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Do you soak your pellets before feeding? Empty Re: Do you soak your pellets before feeding?

Post by babyd Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 6:56

I soak mine for a few mins too.
babyd
babyd
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Do you soak your pellets before feeding? Empty Re: Do you soak your pellets before feeding?

Post by lilacamy931 Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 7:47

I have to say I toss mine in and never had problems Smile
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 7:49

LOL All my boys and girls would hate me if I soaked them. If they've missed one and it goes soggy they try to eat it but spit it back out :lol!:

Back to top Go down

Post by Assaye Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 9:39

I soak the bigger, non-betta specific pellets if I need to feed them for some reason, but never the Betta Bio Gold. Orion isn't too interested in pellets anyway, but will take them crushed. Osiris LOVES his pellets.
Assaye
Assaye
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Galanta Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 10:18

Hmm. So far the "non-soakers" are in the lead... scratch
Galanta
Galanta
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 11:37

Hi
We have never soaked pellets, even for the juveniles :D Never really had any issues with bloating or the like.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pippoodle Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 13:27

dont soak my pellets either
pippoodle
pippoodle
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by ReptileLuver729 Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 14:24

I have never soaked mine, but my betta is a smaller female and she has a hard time with the pellets, so I usually split them in half with my fingernail. If I don't split them she does the "chewing" thing. Smile
ReptileLuver729
ReptileLuver729
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 16:28

never soaked mine usually I feed mine in the evening an as soon as I put the lights on above the unit they know I am feeding them, so they scoff them!
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfishy Thu 13 Aug 2009 - 3:09

I dont soak for mine, but sister has a betta who seems to have on going swimbladder issues, I think she soaks his daily to prevent the swimbladder problem from getting worse.
Newfishy
Newfishy

Back to top Go down

Post by crystal Thu 13 Aug 2009 - 9:53

I've never soaked mine, my bettas ignore soggy pellets!
crystal
crystal
Feathertail
Feathertail

http://www.mfccustoms.synthasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CeeJayy Thu 13 Aug 2009 - 11:09

Tried soaking them once, Indi didn't like. He didn't eat them So no, i do not soak Smile
CeeJayy
CeeJayy
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by babyd Thu 13 Aug 2009 - 11:50

so am I just babying Loki then? As Indy died from dropsy I was terrified that maybe I had caused it by not soaking his pellets, so that is why I soak Loki's...........
babyd
babyd
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 13 Aug 2009 - 12:36

You'll never know really. My theory on soaking pellets is that you are adding moisture to something that is already going to get wet, and perhaps some of the nutrients are actually lost through soaking?
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by babyd Thu 13 Aug 2009 - 15:30

I don't soak for more than a minute or two, it's not all bloated and fluffy.......he seems to be happy enough, he gets all excited when he sees me soaking it, dances all up and down the tank waiting for me to stick it to my finger and feed him lol
babyd
babyd
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Galanta Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 10:05

Looks like I'll stop wasting my time soaking pellets...

Though it was entertaining to have him snap them off my finger. But then again that led to him believing that fingers mean food and now he will bite the finger whenever you get near the surface. :D At least he's not one of green spotted puffers...
Galanta
Galanta
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by lilacamy931 Sat 15 Aug 2009 - 16:11

Now now! I have had to be brave with the puffs and teach them fingers aint food! My boys prefer the hard pellets definately! lol
lilacamy931
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by chuwee Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 13:30

I don't soak my pellets either.
chuwee
chuwee
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Man Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 16:22

me neither, soaking them would leach out some of the minerals etc...

Wild Man
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by babyd Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 19:57

well tried my guy with non-soaked and he just kept spitting them back out, then coming back to me for his soft ones lol
babyd
babyd
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Galanta Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 22:47

They get spoiled so easily ... :lol!:
Galanta
Galanta
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by buddha_red Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 23:22

i do not soak the betta food. The pieces that sink are ignored by mine.

buddha_red
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by Moocow Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 23:35

I don't soak mine. Once they get "soggy" my betta wait till they sink and then eaat em off the bottom hahaha I love the betta chewing noise! *crunch crunch crunch*

Moocow
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 23:36

Lol.....I love the crunching sounds they make too.....so funny to hear them :lol!:
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down