Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

OMG

+3
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
cherrydanio
Storm
7 posters

Go down

OMG Empty OMG

Post by Storm Sat 30 May 2009 - 18:38

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well i am totally shocked, my male betta and 2 females both spawned last night :shock: :shock: :shock: . Although there was only a few bubbles around and about near the filter, although i dont think he knew quite what to do, so i dont no if i have any eggs.

He flares at any fish that goes near the filter, but i cant belive that he is not showing any aggression at all to the female. :shock: :shock:

Its such a shame i was not expecting it at all

Storm
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

OMG Empty Re: OMG

Post by cherrydanio Sat 30 May 2009 - 18:41

Oh my! affraid Great to hear they aren't being aggressive Smile
cherrydanio
cherrydanio
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Sat 30 May 2009 - 18:45

Im waiting for the male to turn into a Twisted Evil

Storm
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Sun 31 May 2009 - 0:51

Hi

Curious as to how you know they spawned?

If a pair were to spawn in a community, it is highly unlikely that the eggs will hatch or any fry survive. Also, if the male feels threatened in any way by any of the fish he will attack them.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Sun 31 May 2009 - 10:05

I know because i saw them, lol. :D

Storm
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Netty Sun 31 May 2009 - 18:03

I would imagine the eggs would have been eaten and if any fry do hatch it won't be long before they are gobbled up too.

Keep a very close eye on the Bettas. Spawning under even the best conditions can be very stressful for them and leave them prone to getting ill, which in turn will make them targets for the other healthier fish.
Netty
Netty
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Sun 31 May 2009 - 22:52

Well nothing hatch and i would give any fry the best chance it is a 60 gallon tank with neons and betta loads of plants, and floating plants. So i dare say some could live.

Storm
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Sun 31 May 2009 - 22:55

Im just a touch confused, do you have males and females in the same tank then?
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Sun 31 May 2009 - 23:01

1 male 2 females

Storm
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Sun 31 May 2009 - 23:08

Ok, well obviously its working out for you, but normally we suggest males are kept without females either 1 male or a sorority of females but not both pet shops often suggest you can keep one male multiple females but its generally not a good idea.
if you do get any fry hatching they eat just hatched baby brine shrimp, normally when breeding bettas you would remove the dad after 2-3 days in this period he should be caring for the fry but there reaches a point where he will eat them, as all this has happened in a community tank I dont know what to suggest as far as raising them is concerned. It is a lot of work to raise betta fry as they need continuous live food and to be seperated into individual heated tanks as early as 4 weeks of age.
I would really suggest keeping your male in his own tank and if you have room getting 3 more females to make a nice sorority? Smile
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Sun 31 May 2009 - 23:11

i have always kept male and female together, it is a 60gallon tank. With loads of hiding spaces and enough space for a fish to find a home lol. theres only 12 neons 1 female sword the betta and a loach.

Storm
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonnw8 Sun 31 May 2009 - 23:23

Ok as I said it works for you but its not normally what we'd suggest Smile . if you want to keep the fry you would be better transferring them (once free swimming) to another tank with a sponge filter and a heater and setting up a Baby brine shrimp culture, they'll need feeding 3 times a day and you should probably get some small tanks ready Wink
Wilsonnw8
Wilsonnw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi69 Fri 5 Jun 2009 - 15:03

Thats very unusual for them to get on well in the same tank and to spawn without any conditioning (lucky you most people have trouble getting them to spawn with proper conditioning and environment).

Have you had any eggs survive?? sunny
Lexi69
Lexi69
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by incognito Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 18:44

Just to be controversal...
not reccommended for bettas but yes a male will happily spawn with two females... (more seen in wild types) if balance in tank is good and in particular if siblings they can live almost in harmony especially if its a mixed community tank, it does occasionally happen just not good to do purposely unless you have room to rehouse if necessary.

if tank heavy with live plants and loads of hiding places you might do ok without interference... first few days fry live on infusoria which would be present if planted anyway...at most if you get fry..can always net them and rear seperate. if not the tank will balance.

male will be agressive of anyone who approaches babies but would be nice to hear about someone having the set up capable of letting them reproduce as in nature.

I have a tank of about 20 mixed from birth males and females, live happy together... (not suitable for breeding etc.) but they really do live happily together! (don't reccomend it ofcourse and am currently building an indoor tiered pool for them) but no flarining, loads of hiding places etc. All swim through the hand, crowd round at feeding time!

Conditioning bettas all depends on their usual routine....some people do this religiously, many people feed their breeders well all the time and don't need extra conditioning prior to spawning... just the TLC recover afterwards, get fins back/make up for days lack of food etc.

its ull up to preference and what works for you may not suit others.

Good luck with it Storm... let us know how all unfolds!
incognito
incognito
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 19:01

Hey, nothing wrong in being controversial :D Thats what forums are about, opinions and all :D

In some respects i agree that it would be great to allow random natural breeding. But in this case its the fact that initially they were in a community, which the betta wouldn't be subjected to in the wild and also the space involved.

I have heard of people with 500g ponds that they have a mixed betta society in :D Only problem is they never see them in the pond Wink I've noticed over the last couple of days that my 10 week old babies are getting more and more aggressive Sad So more have gotta come out.

A lot as well depends on the individual Smile I would almost guarantee that the male in the spawning tank at the moment would attack anything that moved. He's sooo nasty Twisted Evil

I think its because there are so many variables that i wouldn't recommend people try it, unless they have masses of experience.
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Vandraco aka Bronzecat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by incognito Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 20:02

yea it's def not reccomended to try especicaily to prove a point for sure.... i have my tank of many due to refusal to cull if birth defects but fit and healthy.. friends usually take them lol but i could easily individuallly house them at any time but easier for me to feed/WC one big tank thats filtered and heated compared to jars and if they aren't biting or otherwise stressing each other.

i sometimes put two females into spawn tank with male... remove the least interested one as soon as paired up... speeds up breeding time.

it works for me... don't do it everytime but if awkward female or male, a second to appear helps her get busy Wink

*everyone*... this works for me, i doubt it suits anyone else so please take it as IT SEEMS TO WORK OK FOR ME.
I DON'T RECCOMEND TO TRY IT!
incognito
incognito
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 20:17

Hi

No eggs survived and males and female are both fine, no stree marks and no aggression. To be fair if they are living happily i cant see a problem, a big hand does not come and assit them in the wild lmao.

Storm
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by incognito Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 20:36

thats it at end of day... be different if male doing the full agression
You didn't set out to spawn in that situation...they happy so far though it always worth the watch but if no one is getting hurt i don't see any point in moving them.... rice paddies/streams contain other fish as well as bettas... your community tank is obviously mimicking just that if the comfortable in same tank and trying to spawn
incognito
incognito
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 20:38

i would not kjeep them together if there was any signs of aggression Smile

Storm
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down