Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Can anyone ID this African cichlid?

5 posters

Go down

Can anyone ID this African cichlid? Empty Can anyone ID this African cichlid?

Post by DreyOfAud Thu 3 Feb 2011 - 21:01

I can't seem to identify this African cichlid online.. It's the dull, darkish blue one in the center of the first pic, and at the top of the second pic. Does anyone know what it is?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I ask because I believe she is carrying eggs in her mouth. She must have mated with the dominant electric yellow (Labidochromis caeruleus) in the tank, and I'd like to know what kind of fry this will result in. Thanks!
DreyOfAud
DreyOfAud
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Can anyone ID this African cichlid? Empty Re: Can anyone ID this African cichlid?

Post by DreyOfAud Thu 3 Feb 2011 - 22:04

Here are some more current photos. They're large, so I'll just post the links.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DreyOfAud
DreyOfAud
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Can anyone ID this African cichlid? Empty Re: Can anyone ID this African cichlid?

Post by kizno1 Sat 5 Feb 2011 - 0:00

Ive done some searching and cant find anything that it could be sorry. I dont really have a clue on africans only keep americans. Fry wise they could turn out like anything but i would suggest culling them or keeping them all because hybrids are a bad thing for the fish trade, its best to keep strains pure otherwise you never know what you have.
kizno1
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Fri 11 Feb 2011 - 5:20

How horrible. Fish should not be 'culled' just because they're not a pure strain... inbreeding without the introduction of some occasional new genetic material is why we have deformed parrotfish, bettas who can't hold their fins up and deaf dalmatians, cats and ferrets. If nobody can identify the mother it's probable that she's a hybrid anyway.

I'm going to invoke Godwin's law of the internet on this one, and say there was another group who advocated genetic purity Wink hehe
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna Thu 24 Mar 2011 - 3:04

any babies?
elliriyanna
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by natch97 Fri 24 Jun 2011 - 16:05

I've got one of these in my malawi tank. I think it is a Maylandia zebra but not sure what strain. They do get quite big so just keep an eye on it. Mine is 8" and growing.

I sit on the fence with hybrids. I think that they are ok if they sold as hybrids, not just "mixed malawi" and that they are kept in a hybrid tank. They shouldn't be mixed with pure tanks.

Also as far as fry are concerned your about 50/50 whether they are amazing colours like the bright peach coloured albino I have or just mud coloured.

natch97
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down