Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Jealous Betta?

2 posters

Go down

Jealous Betta? Empty Jealous Betta?

Post by Shortstakes Thu 12 Jul 2012 - 7:59

I had a forty gallon tank set up with four female Bettas, they all lived together in piece after they decided who was boss. It was a community tank with four cory cats and several wild guppies. The problem started when I had to move my male betta from his original tank into the forty gallon because the female guppy started dropping fry and I didn't want him to eat the fry.

I watched them over a time span of 2 weeks. And I noticed that my blue veil tail male took a liking to my orange cambodian female called Pazookie. At first the females would nip at the male whenever he flared at Pazookie but not enough to cause much harm. One morning as I was coming out to check on them I was just in time to see my red female taking a chunk out of Pazookie's stomach. She died shortly after and ever since then only one other female lives in the forty gallon with my red female and blue male. The only way for me to have anymore female bettas in the forty gallon is when I take the male out.

Is it really possible for fish to be jealous?
Shortstakes
Shortstakes
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Jealous Betta? Empty Re: Jealous Betta?

Post by Nataliey Tue 11 Dec 2012 - 13:00

No its because you have a male living with females. The male should be separated or things like this will happen.

Sorry for your loss
Nataliey
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Shortstakes Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 14:18

I can keep my males with my other sororities with no issue. But it was like after I bred Rage the blue male with Flame he was her permanent mate. If I put a different male in with her she'd leave the other females alone. But when Rage is in there she loses it and starts tail nipping all the other females.

But they have both since passed on. I left them in the care of my brother when I was away from home. Lost all my females and males by the time I got back. No

Had to restart with new fish. I only kept one of the many fry produced by the pair and his my prized fish. My first successful breeding.
Shortstakes
Shortstakes
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down