Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

BETTA PROBLEM...

3 posters

Go down

BETTA PROBLEM... Empty BETTA PROBLEM...

Post by abbythomas18 Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 1:30

My betta is currently living in cold water...I will fill it up with warm water because I cant get a heater till Christmas it only stays warm for about 15 min. I have had him for about 2 months. It always goes to the bottom, I think his body is shutting down... Will he last till Christmas?

He is living in 60 degree water.... idk what to do!

Sad
abbythomas18
abbythomas18
Veiltail
Veiltail

Back to top Go down

BETTA PROBLEM... Empty Re: BETTA PROBLEM...

Post by 2tall Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 2:27

I'm not that experienced so keep the following in perspective. I'm going off what I've read and from
memory.

You really need a heater now! Their immune system is compremised at that low of temperature. I wouldn't be giving it a blast of hot water as the
contrast in the temp outweighs the benefit of a few minutes warmth.

You can try putting by a heating duck, on top of the hot water tank or use an electric heater in a closet. Even tent of a corner of a room. I've heard of a
person using an electric blanket, but I don,t know how that turned out. With
the blanket I'd think the lower potion of the water would be awful hot. Also you need to raise the temperature gradually. No more than a 2 or 3 degrees every day for a week or so I'd guess.

BTW- Whats size tank or vessel is it in?

Let me know what option you can use and I might be able to suggest something further. Good Luck!

2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Wed 8 Dec 2010 - 4:40

You really need to get a heater, you can buy a small one for very little online.

If you really can't get one quickly, the best thing to do is to fill a plastic food storage container with hot water and float it in the tank. This way the water heats up gradually and stays warmer longer. You'll need to refill the storage box every few hours. Keep him in a warm room and the temperature will be maintained for longer.

You will need to monitor the temperature with a good thermometer (can be found at any pet store very cheaply) because fluctuations in temperature can quickly cause disease.

There's also a chance that your fish could be suffering from ammonia poisoning if he's very inactive, caused by his food and poo breaking down and contaminating the water. Is there a filter in his container? If not, you need to be doing a 50% water change every other day, with a 100% change once a week.

Tell us all about his home and we'll give you plenty of help, it'd be terrible for him to die.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down