Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Winter Bettas, Giants... and Self Control!

4 posters

Go down

Winter Bettas, Giants... and Self Control! Empty Winter Bettas, Giants... and Self Control!

Post by 2tall Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 5:34

I went to the lfs I found a couple weeks ago with the nice selection to get a light for my five gl. tank.
Needed to finally upgrade the MG/VT I bought three weeks ago. Bought him a little 3 pack of cheap silk plants for a tank warming present. Then of course had to view some fish and Bettas.

While in the Betta section I noticed a sign saying Winter Bettas. It went on to say with the cooler
weather that there is a rise in what they referred to as Fur Coat disease. It evidently comes on quick and looks like a green fuzz. It can take one very quickly and one med recommended was Pimafix. Anyone heard of the disease?

They also had about a dozen Giant Bettas and they looked interesting. Claimed they should reach about
5" long. Poor things were to big for the plastic tea cups and could hardly move. There length was longer than the bottom of the cup! So sad to see.

Had some real pretty Dbl/Tails and I was so tempted, but I'm trying to restrain myself from impulses for the time being. Until Monday anyway!!! lol!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Winter Bettas, Giants... and Self Control! Empty Re: Winter Bettas, Giants... and Self Control!

Post by Mesatalia Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 6:36

Wow, never heard of either. Time to google, methinks!

and I found this:

ยท FUR COAT SYNDROME -- a dermal bacterial infection. Bettas are very susceptible to this ailment. It is generally characterized by discoloration of tissue, particularly the fins to a dark brown or black and a grey or brown 'fur' or mold over the body, usually starting across the back and at the base of the fins and rapidly spreading to cover most of the body. Loss of appetite and listlessness are also common signs. This disease can be readily prevented by keeping your Betta in warm enough water, providing them with a good diet, and treating your water with aquarium salt or rock salt. 'Fur coat syndrome' is almost always fatal within 30 hours of the first signs or symptoms. In cases where you know that your fish has caught this disease, using a targeted Betta antibiotic like Betta-Max greatly increases the fish's survival rate in the face of this illness.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Winter Bettas, Giants... and Self Control! Empty Re: Winter Bettas, Giants... and Self Control!

Post by silverrabbit Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 10:17

Nice one mesatalia, I'd never heard of this!

Sounds nasty, but shouldn't be a prob if you have heated tanks or a heated fishroom. Sounds horrid though Sad their sign should have told people to go and buy heaters!
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 16:15

Luckily ALpha has a heater but the temp still drops a bit at night. Thinking about putting BOTH heaters in. Even with the new heater I have it's staying no higher than 72f and I would like to see it closer to 77 at the lowest. The smaller older heater does get warm but it's not enough to heat more than about 1 inch out from it.

I need to get a bubble stone....they should be like super cheap, right?
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 16:51

Air stones are about a dollar or less each depending where you have to buy them. Petsmart or Petco has
a bin full of singles less than a dollar.

The heater should be preset at 80F and it should run continuously until it reaches the temp. Its not the
best or accurate, but I'm surprised its that far off. You're not using a stick on thermometer are you? It
could be defective. You could put both together and monitor the temp closely.

I've have the same one in my 2gl. hex and it keeps it between 80 & 82F regularly.
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 17:39

It's preset to stay within the upper 70's according to the papers it came with, but I have a free-floating mercury thermometer and it's very accurate, I tested it. The red light on the heater will go on for a while but once the water reaches about 72 or 73 it turns off then goes back on once it reaches 70 or 71. At least the varying difference isn't toooooo bad....keeping the temp more stable than it was before even if it's rather on the cool side. It doesn't fluctuate as much. There's a warranty on the product and I kept the box, so I could contact them and see what's up. I'm thinking since the water isn't currently circulating that the water just around the heater is getting warmed up so it shuts off before the rest of the water gets warmed up.....hence why I'm gonna go for an air stone, have light circulation to keep the water moving and be a more constant stable temp.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfishy Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 4:57

Id replace te heater then if I were you. its a little cool for your guy, plus you dont want to wake up one day to find that the heater went on the fritz and over heated the tank. had that happen. not to pretty.
Newfishy
Newfishy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 16:59

It's a brand new heater. I'll call the company for a replacement.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down