Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE

+5
Mutsu
Momo
incognito
silverrabbit
Mesatalia
9 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE - Page 4 Empty Re: Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE

Post by Mesatalia Fri 17 Sep 2010 - 4:40

I thought it was a fungus? Every site I've read has said fungus. We've treated Ick before so I'm not so concerned about it....I know he'll be fine after treatment....

I'm worried about Alpha. I can't tell if the fin rot is done or not. I see no signs of healing but it hasn't gotten any worse yet. Finally found a trick to keep his water temp stable till F.Bank's package comes in the mail in a couple/few days. He's still eating well, actually acts like he's MORE hungry, he's swimming just fine and is always happy to see me walk into the room.

What should I do if there's no signs of fin regrowth? The meds I have should help with that but I don't want to use it without a filter in there.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE - Page 4 Empty Re: Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE

Post by Mesatalia Fri 17 Sep 2010 - 17:01

Alpha IS getting worse, and now the VT has a hole in the tip of his tail.

My fresh treated water has to have something wrong with it....
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamaljot Fri 17 Sep 2010 - 17:05

Is Alpha okay?

Kamaljot
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Sat 18 Sep 2010 - 0:26

For now I'm guessing.

I took the water to the store to be tested. It had only sat for two days and no fishies were living in it yet.....it's just the regular treated water I used...

PH was fine...

But the Amonia and the Nitrates were just a little high, but enough for concern. So I got conditioner stuff but, once again, it's for filtered/bubble stone water. I'm getting a box VERY soon containing supplies I'll need so I can actually USE this stuff without worrying too much. I put a couple drops of the conditioner stuff in so it's at LEAST a LITTLE better till I can get the tank set up that's on it's way to me in the mail.

the VT seems to have perked up a couple hours after I put like 2 drops of the conditioner in. His tail still has a hole but it hasn't gotten worse, but I watched him making a nest for a while and he flared at me if I got too close, lol. He's in full guard mode now.

I noticed Alpha is practicing for his first bubble nest. I see a ring of bubbles surrounding the rim.

I really hope this stuff will make the water more livable for them and maybe it'll be the key to stopping this fin rot and make the meds work better. It's made to slower ammonia and nitrates and balance the PH (even though PH is fine)....says for filtered tanks, makes water livable for up to 6 months with regular matinance so water changes are every 6 months if the balances are good. I dunno, lol. I'll probably do it more often than that.

Makes me think it's scary that there are nitrates and ammonia in my water though. Maybe my water plant isn't working like it should be or something.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Sat 18 Sep 2010 - 0:51

You will need to do more changes than every 6months, that's for sure, if only to vaccuum the poop at the bottom. Water without changes for 6 months will have lost most of its minerals, unless you use that Walsted method, which I really can't get my head around.

Don't worry about nitrAtes in your water, most tap water has it and it is not toxic at normal levels (0-50). I think it's reported to be toxic to fish at 100 or something, though don't quote me on that Smile

Ich is not fungus. If the specks aren't white then it could be velvet disease - horrible stuff
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Sat 18 Sep 2010 - 2:45

It doesn't look gold though. I don't see it anymore so maybe it was just something simple that I mistook or something.

They certainly seem happier. the VT is building quite the nest, biggest he's ever done with me. He flares at me then builds some more then flares at me again and keeps going back and forth then he'll rest on a leaf then build some more. It's fun watching him but if he's flaring at me then I wanna let him be to do his fishy thing. Don't wanna stress him out.

Alpha is also a bit more active. He's swimming around a lot and I put a simple plant in his hospital tank because he couldn't settle down to rest so I figured the leaves would be a good place for him to anchor his fins on to take a rest. Both fish are VERY hungry...their bellies are big but I don't wanna feed them too much even though they're eating every scrap. For Alpha I think it's because he's still growing and now needs to heal. The VT has always been a lil piggy.

The whole for the VT LOOKS like it may be trying to heal already even though it's only a day old. Alpha shows no signs of new fins and he's looking more and more tattered. It looks like all fins are now affected.

Once I get the water balanced out they should recover much faster......I hope.

The guy at the store showed me the charts. The Nitrate was decently above normal levels but not quite to dangerous yet. Still if it could help him to heal....and with the ammonia and everything. They don't sell separate stuff in our stores to treat individual water quality aspects (besides PH), so it's all or nothing. Obviously something is wrong and I'll do whatever it takes to get it fixed.

And yeah, I'll DEF be changing the water more than every 6 months. I think it was referring to larger filtered tanks anyway. They never leave any extra food and they don't poo as much as I thought they would. As soon as I find one I scoop it out but I still do my part/whole water changes.

Thinking about getting a small gravel vac. We used to have one but, again, as with all our fish stuff, my mom threw it out :/

Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Sat 18 Sep 2010 - 2:57

You can go to a dollar store and by a turkey baster. Then just return the water
through the fish net until you are ready for a W/C. I did it that way for awhile.
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Sat 18 Sep 2010 - 2:59

You can use a bit of airline for a cheap gravel vac, esp as your hosp tank is barebottom and stuff. I use it in my hosp tanks and generally smaller ones and it works really well... you just need to suck on the end so use a clear bit of line so you can see the water coming towards the end, trust me you DON'T want to swallow it *yuck* affraid

When I had velvet I confused it with ick at first as it wasn't the gold I was imagining it to be. If you added salt that;s good, because that helps loads. Also, velvet is smaller than ick, so it sometimes is only visible if you shine a torch over the fishy... will look like a fine dusting and can make the fishes slime coat look excessive I think.

Hope they both heal up soon, it's really worrying when they're sick
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Sat 18 Sep 2010 - 3:15

Yeah I think it was just his slime coating. I sometimes forget they have one because I rarely see it. I think he DID make a bit much slime and that is what I saw....maybe he was preventing illness or something, if that's possible. I don't see any spots on him now other than the small hole in his fin, which already looks like is filling in unless it's more slime again, lol. Hard to tell because he hides if I shine a light on him. He hates the light and is afraid of cameras, lol. I dunno WHAT my cousin did to him but he's a very VERY shy fishy.

Alpha though....I dunno about him. He doesn't mind the light, he's curious, good appetite, comes to me when I'm around (well, as much as He CAN come to me) but his fins just aren't coping well. I'm really hoping this doesn't kill him. His fins are the ONLY sign of trouble he has.

I thought about that with the airline.....our vac before was nothing more than a hose in general with a special tip that sent the picked up gravel back into the tank. His bottom IS bare but after two days there was only one odd-looking ball of poo. It was NOT a food pellet for sure....but it was also different than the VT's poo. I'm wondering if I had just fed him too many shrimps. But neither of them poo DAILY either. I dunno how often they SHOULD, lol. The other one has rocks only off to one side to help keep the plants in place and the bare side is where I place his food and with the water so still they fall right down into the bare area, missing the gravel completely.

I was thinking though....I have all sorts of rocks from rivers and even the Great Lakes....bigger ones that are smooth. Would those be ok in a fishy tank instead of the small gravel? I think the coloring on the rocks is getting into the water and clouding it up a bit, even though they're pre-used and have been rinsed through several times already.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Mon 20 Sep 2010 - 4:51

How are Alpha and Fishy doing? Are they enjoying the heat? Did you get things figured out yet as far as the U/G filter?

Marineland makes a new internal filter I see for up to two gallons. Cost only $12.
Trust me I know how it is not having money. Might as well be $100 at times!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Mon 20 Sep 2010 - 11:56

Yeah, I have Alpha in the tank you sent as it can circulate the meds and water conditioner. I see why you wanted me to use the bi-valve....help lower the air flow a little so the current isn't so strong. I'm just wondering if it's working well enough. I'm gonna have to make a shallow lean-to in there for Alpha to hide in....he doesn't like even the slightest current but there needs to be to push the water under the rocks. It's still something to fiddle with but I'll do that after he gets better. He's fairly tattered now but not really worse....still no signs of re-growth.

The VT is VERY happy. I put the smaller heater in with him for now as Alpha has adequate heating with just the bulb (I checked....the tank feels toasty and there's high humidity on the surface). the VT is sticking close to the smaller pad....it's only heating the water right around it so I WILL put that bigger one in there. I just wanted to wait till the bubble nest's life was spent (and it is today). The hole in his fin had gotten a little bigger and seems to have the smallest thread of fin dividing it down the center but I can swear I see some fin regrowth......but if I try to look he's either got his fin clamped or he's swishing it around too fast to let me take a decent look, lol.

I'll update pics soon.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4