Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE

+5
Mutsu
Momo
incognito
silverrabbit
Mesatalia
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE - Page 3 Empty Re: Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE

Post by 2tall Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 3:06

I posted a question in Betta Health on Maracyn & Maracyn 2. There are ten
packets that treat ten gallons each. If I can swing it tomorrow I'll split it with you and include it in the package. I just worry about playing Dr. Betta. They both claim to work on finrot.

Feel free to do a little research and advise me which you might prefer. One is a dollar more I believe, but I'm not telling which one!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE - Page 3 Empty Re: Mixed questions/concerns - SOS UPDATE

Post by 2tall Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 3:28

I hope the salt will hold it at bay for a couple of days. I don't think I'll have a full day tomorrow. I hope hes eating at least!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 4:06

"Fin Rot is caused by gram-negative rod bacteria. " is what I found. Though some sites say it's bacteria while others say fungus....but I think his case is bacteria because I don't see anything slimy eating away at him as the fungus site suggest.

He's eating just fine, luckily. He recovered from the over-eating incident beautifully, lol.

I'm learning a lot from these sites. Tomorrow I'll set up his old home again (about 1 gal) so it's easier to monitor him and give accurate doses and it'll be a very clean hospital to begin FULL treatment with. He showed no irritation to the little bit of salt I put in (he swam through it just after I put it in before it could spread through the rest of his tank) so I'll do full dose of that salt in his hospital home. I also think I'll go out and get that second extract and use that instead of the meds I currently have...it sounds to me like it's the one I truly need. I just hope it's not too far progressed....I see thinning areas in his tail which will probably become rips.

I was gonna go see my friend lucy tomorrow morning, it's her first time at home alone with her new baby and wanted someone there with her but I think she'll be fine....the sooner I can help Alpha properly the better.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 5:28

Sorry. We had a connection problem with Comcast and lost our connection to the internet. Been off for an hour at least. Will continue to a little research as I forgot where I was. I think I was leading towards the Maracyn 2.

Might have an answer when I get up!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 12:43

"The antibiotics that I normally use are Maracyn I and II by Mardel which are erythromycin (kills gram positive bacteria) and minocycline (kills gram negative bacteria) respectively. Gram positive bacterial problems may include fin and tail rot, popeye, columnaris (which sometimes looks like a fungus), and bacteria that take advantage of physical damage. Gram negative bacterial problems may include dropsy, popeye, fin and tail rot, and septicemia. You see there is some overlap because different species of bacteria can cause the same problems. There are many antibiotics out there from which to choose. Some may work better than others for a particular problem. Keep in mind that some antibiotics kill good bacteria which will send up the ammonia levels. That happened to me years ago when I added penicillin to a tank."

"Fin Rot is caused by gram-negative rod bacteria. "

Kinda contradicts each other....one saying it's negative and one saying the meds for both negative and positive works. Thing is how can one tell with each specific case which is needed to cure?

Alpha greeted me with tail flicking this morning. As soon as I take my son to school I'll get a hospital tank set up. I'm not gonna bother with gravel or anything like that to minimize possible injuries he could inflict on himself and it will be easier for me to monitor how much food he eats and how often he needs 100% change (as I know it'll be more than once a week in that small container).
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 13:16

You shouldn't be sprinkling the salt directly into the tank, it can cause burns and won't dissolve properly. You need to stir it like mad into a cup of warm water until it's fully dissolved, then add a few drops of dechlorinator to the cup, then pour it in the tank.

Glad to hear he's still eating and getting along ok, I think you might be wasting your money on all these natural extracts though. You wouldn't use herbal medicine if your leg was rotting off with gangrene. I'd get meth blue, it's cheap, effective and kills both fungus and bacteria so you'd be covered on both fronts, if you can't get hold of anything more expensive like the Maracyn.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

https://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 13:19

Oh I'm not, I'm dissolving it first ^_^

None of our stores have Meth Blue but F.Banks found some stuff that might help that he'll be sending in his package to me. Till then I'm just gonna stick with the aquarium salt and clean water, hopefully hold it at bay.
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 13:33

Ah right good, the way it read I thought you were just sprinkling it in Smile

I think you've been lucky and he's obviously a fighter if he's lasted this long with his condition and is still eating, hopefully a few more days while the medicine arrives won't do any harm.
KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 14:51

I'm hoping. He's getting a new wound every 1-2 days but it starts small then gets worse till it's a gap. I got him in the old home and I measured the water as I put it in. It's only 1/2 gallon but I'm hoping the constantly clean water helps. I put in an extra couple drops of stress coat seeing as he seems to be very easily stressed out and the salt called for 1/2tsp/gallon so I put in 1/4th tsp, dissolved of course. He's swimming around now wondering why nothing is in there now, lol. Got food soaking for him.

Now what should I do to help the 2.5 gallon tank to decontaminate it, and the 2 fake plants? Whatever was eating at his fins must have worked their way fairly well into his environment and I don't wanna just wash it out and put him back in after he's healed just to find he gets it again, ya know?
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tall Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 15:26

I think I'll go with the Maracyn 2 as its the one that doesn't affect the appetite if I remember correctly. I'll double check though because the last thing I want to is send something that curbs his appetite!

Gotta pack my lunch and run!
2tall
2tall
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by KalandraJane Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 15:36

Finrot is a secondary infection where bacteria or fungus normally present in the water get a hold on a fish whose immunity is low, so there's really not much danger from anything that might have found its way into your fake plants once he's better - it's all stuff that is normally present in the water anyway, just it's reached elevated levels.

A good clean out with plain water will do it good though - wash it in as hot water as you dare, boiling water might crack it but water that has boiled and cooled for a few mins should be fine. You can swish the fake plants around in it too and they shouldn't melt if you just have them in there for a few seconds at a time. After that, letting it all dry out thoroughly in an airy place should get rid of any remaining organisms, they need moisture to live. It won't be sterile obviously but it will have killed off enough bugs so that it's totally safe.

KalandraJane
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 15:42

What about running them through the dish washer without any soaps?? I know soap and such for it is bad and I can put it on an extra rinse cycle. The water in there gets super-heated and has never harmed any of our glass stuff.

I'm uploading a video of Alpha I took just this morning....it's taking forever to upload, lol. I also got a couple good pics of his tail to see (his other fins are reluctant to be still or flared enough for a good picture, hence the video)
Mesatalia
Mesatalia
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mesatalia Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 18:23