Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Betta-Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

budgie help?

5 posters

Go down

budgie help? Empty budgie help?

Post by liz2 Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 21:19

I have had a female budgie for about 3 years. I rescued her from this silly woman. When I got the bird she was traumatized and would sit holding her wing in her claw you would have to see it to understand. The cage was dirty and the bird was scared stiff. Anyway she has never been tame but over the last few months keeps laying eggs. I have researched and you are supposed to leave the eggs in as they keep laying them otherwise, or replace them with those little artificial eggs. She looks so miserable and is not making any noise at all just sitting on the floor of her cage. I am going to get her some budgie conditioning seed in the week as it said that it takes a lot out of them laying eggs, she has cuttlefish and a mineral block. She has never been a lively noisy bird, but she just looks downright miserable now. Any ideas please?
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

budgie help? Empty Re: budgie help?

Post by SheenaShoup Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 21:49

Poor little bird! So glad you rescued her, I hope someone can help. I don't know much, just offering some hope. flower
SheenaShoup
SheenaShoup
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath J Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 16:56

Does She Have Grit? Uhmm And Yeahh I Would Get Some Dummy Eggs Otherwise She Will Continue To Lay. There Is Nothing You Can Really Do To Be Honest, Try And Get Some Calcivet As Well This Can Help.

Last edited by Nath J on Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 23:56; edited 1 time in total
Nath J
Nath J
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 19:17

Agree with Nath! Smile

She will continue to lay eggs, and i think it can make them ill, if they lay eggs too much.

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 19:29

bless you for replying. I posted on a budgie forum and didnt get one reply. My local pet shop didnt have any dummy eggs she still has hers in with her. I am going to scrape some cuttlefish onto her seed, but she doesnt look good bless her. am doing all I can little budgie x
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 19:37

arrww... Sad

Try ebay, i know they normally have some listed..

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 20:13

she has got another egg now..... Shocked she has just climbed all the way up the cage to get a drink of water and now gone back on the floor!
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 20:38

arwww.. thats so cute!

But she defos needs alot of dummy eggs, glad all the budgies i have had, have been males!

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by aly_starh Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 20:39

It is very normal for a female budgie to lay eggs even when a male is not present. They will not be fertile, but you should not remove them from the nest she has made. Budgies are notorious for chronic egg laying and can seriously harm themselves trying to replace any eggs you take out of the nest. She will deplete the calcium stored in her bones until she becomes very fragile. What you should do is feed her a calcium rich diet including cuttlebone, eggs with eggshells in it, and spinach leaves. Leave the eggs alone and eventually, when the 18 day incubation period is over, the hen will become bored of her nest and then you can take away the eggs. Don't worry about them rotting, because unless they're broken they will not rot. After this, you need to take precautions against her laying more clutches. Rearrange her cage toys and perches so she feels like she’s in a “new” environment and let her receive less daylight hours. Try covering her up earlier in the evening. Also, if she feels she has more than enough food, she will think she can raise babies. 2 tbsp of feed (whether seed or pellets, whatever your choice) a day is fine for a single budgie. Also, don’t forget the supplemental fruits, veggies, and cooked foods. Even if you take precautions to keep your budgie from laying, some budgies are simply persistent little buggers! You will just have to accept this fact and make sure she stays on a calcium rich diet in order to keep her bones strong and healthy.
Sidenote: It is very important that you watch your budgie’s activity closely while she’s in the process of laying a clutch. Birds, especially budgies and cockatiels, can become easily egg bound. Basically that means the egg is “stuck” inside her oviduct. You will be able to see this if she is panting or straining to lay and nothing comes out after a few minutes. If this happens, there are a few home remedies you can try, such as rubbing a little olive oil on her vent area, but if the egg does not pass within an hour or so, she will require immediate attention or she can die. I’ve included a link on egg binding for further information.

http://www.lbah.com/avian/egg_binding.htm
Hope that helps Smile

aly_starh
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath J Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 23:55

You Could Try Using Modelling Clay If You Cant Get Dummy Eggs, Just Make Them The Same Size And I Think You Bake Them To Make Them Hard :/ I Do This With My Finches Sometimes.
Nath J
Nath J
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 21:17

oh thats a good idea with the dummy eggs. thanks for all the info, good for a fish forum hey!!
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by silverrabbit Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 21:40

Aww bless her, I hope she gets back to full health, and good luck with the dummy eggs
silverrabbit
silverrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath J Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 16:36

Lol I Know Alot More About Birds Than Fish, Glad To Help thumbup
Nath J
Nath J
Rosetail
Rosetail

Back to top Go down

Post by liz2 Fri 12 Mar 2010 - 0:37

I rearranged Psychos cage, and gave it a really good clean out, and she seemed quite happy, and then blow me last night she had another egg. Got up this morning and she had broken it so now there is egg everywhere, but she is sitting on her perch now not on the floor. BUT, the finches are sitting on the floor now, I think I best turn the heating down! Shocked
liz2
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum