Betta-Paradise
The Admin & Moderators would like to welcome you to

Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!




Vote for us!



Had a shock this morning

Go down

Had a shock this morning

Post by Netty on Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 19:54

During the night the temps plummeted here and despite the rep room having an oil fired radiator running on full all night it dropped to about 16 degrees.

I went straight to check on the hoggies and Bootsie was fine but poor Twinks was curled up tight and stone cold. I couldn't get her to open up but could see her breathing. Had a mad panic and got some hot water bottles and wrapped her up in lots of fleeces to warm her up. It's such a relief to see her come round again. If it gets too cold they try to hibernate which can actually kill them.

I've now swapped the heater for a much larger one and will be keeping the water bottles in with them overnight from now on just in case.

_________________

Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by lilacamy931 on Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 20:03

Oh Netty! Oh really glad Twinks is ok, poor sweetheart. Cant believe it got so cold...brrr... Glad she has recovered well xxx
avatar
lilacamy931
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 2237
Points : 2543
Join date : 2009-07-22
Age : 34
Location : Bournemouth, Dorset,

Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by Netty on Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 20:13

I know....I never expected it to get that cold in there especially with the heater on. Poor little thing was like a solid cold lump. She's had a couple of mealworms as a treat and is alot perkier now thank goodness.

_________________

Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by Wilsonnw8 on Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 21:11

wow what a shock thank god she's alright! poor you , you must have been going out of your mind until she unrolled! xx

_________________
avatar
Wilsonnw8
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1967
Points : 2136
Join date : 2009-05-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by jasminek on Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 22:20

That was a close call! Glad twinks is ok now! Smile
avatar
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 1097
Points : 1287
Join date : 2009-08-26
Location : Cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by Guest on Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 23:58

LOL she's all okay now ate a load of mealworms she's adorable!!!!!!! Love

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by liz2 on Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 16:48

oh bless her...I am seriously thinking of putting my old guinea pig in a box in the front room, he is in the conservatory with lots of straw in a plastic igloo bed and I cover him with a towel. The thing is I had 2 until a few months ago he must miss the body warmth xx
avatar
liz2
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 1786
Points : 2227
Join date : 2009-07-23
Location : Northampton uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by Netty on Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 21:16

It is a worry isn't it espcially if they are missing their little friend and feeling the cold more. You can actually buy little microwaveable pads for pets that stay warm for 24hrs. I think they are called snugglesafe and your little piggie might like that to keep him warm.

Twinks is totally back to normal now but I think I may invest in a couple of those just in case.

_________________

Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by jasminek on Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 21:28

Glad twinks is alright! Smile Netty, I have one of those microvable things but it onyl stays warm for about half an hour. But its wonderful!
You could even use a hot water bottle liz2 but after it cools down may be more coldness than heat.
avatar
jasminek
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 1097
Points : 1287
Join date : 2009-08-26
Location : Cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by Netty on Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 21:34

Is the round plastic disc shaped one you have Jasmine? Mine have both had hot water bottles since yesterday morning and extra fleeces too.

_________________

Back to top Go down

Re: Had a shock this morning

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum